Quantcast

Rock Shox Domain DC

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
It looks like Rock Shox has made a dual crown version of it's Domain,this is not a Boxxer in disguise with other stanchions and decals.They may share the same lowers though

Does this mean Rock Shox has made a affordable dual crown fork?

Last edited:

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Buddy, $700, regardless, is NOT an "Affordable" option, rockshox are clearly going to provide for that sector of the market that is either just entering the sport, or generally cannot afford the ridiculously high set bar we now have.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Buddy, $700, regardless, is NOT an "Affordable" option, rockshox are clearly going to provide for that sector of the market that is either just entering the sport, or generally cannot afford the ridiculously high set bar we now have.
Most of the people who are just entering the sport will do just fine with cheaper SC forks or used. No need for a fancy dc fork. Though I have too agree I'm interested, no matter what the weight will be and I doubt the "ton" will be above older marz or travis weight that didn't seem to slow people down too much.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I'm with Norbar on this, people just entering the sport probably won't be fussed by the flex of an SC fork so why the need for a DC version?

I'd guess these are for OEM rather than as an aftermarket upgrade though.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I don't know... looks like old RST DC for to me... Is this going to be a component for Acera equipped newbie DH bike?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Most of the people who are just entering the sport will do just fine with cheaper SC forks or used. No need for a fancy dc fork. Though I have too agree I'm interested, no matter what the weight will be and I doubt the "ton" will be above older marz or travis weight that didn't seem to slow people down too much.
I assume it's for the people who HAVE to have an 8 inch fork. Not many (any?) 200mm travel single crowns out there...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
My guess is that it was a push from bike companies to have something for OEM on entry level "dh" bikes. Whatever they need to do to keep the price (and image) right.
I'm not saying it's bad, and it could make for easier access to dh through cheaper, quality entry level dh bikes.
I've always thought the domain was a good entry level fork, and it seems like this will make it a better fit for a lot of bikes given the popularity of downhill at the moment.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I assume it's for the people who HAVE to have an 8 inch fork. Not many (any?) 200mm travel single crowns out there...
Same argument for travel as for stiffness. I started on a 180mm usd fork and it did just fine even though it was probably much less stiff and heavier than a good sc work would ever be.

As for 200mm sc - travis?

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
As for 200mm sc - travis?
those are the only ones i can think of too but weren't those a limited production run and no longer available anyway. i remember seeing pix of them on the front of an M3 or Socom and it just looked ridiculous, and scary, having a SC that tall.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think it's cool. I don't see myself buying one, but it's good to see someone stepping up and trying to make DH stuff more affordable. Not everyone can go blow 6 grand on a bike. And to the haters who're saying a beginner will be fine with a SC, sure, but there's a reason 200mm DC forks exist. It's not like you have to be Sam Hill to realize the advantages. I don't imagine it'll be light, but probably won't be that porky either. The Domain SC uses the same lowers as the Lyric, so I wouldn't be surprised if this uses Boxxer lowers, and those are light. Sure, the steel stanchions add a bit, but we're talking what, a pound, maybe a pound and a half extra, tops? The Boxxer's damn light, so even with that kind of addition it'll be passable.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
You know what the best DH product I have seen this year (and last) is, without arguement?

The e13 LS1+. Its exactly where MTB should be headed. Its 58g heavier then an LG1+. From what I can tell, it will do a brilliant job. Its adjustable. its pretty, and it protects your chain. Its also (in Canada at least) $100 bucks cheaper then the LG1+.

This Domain triple fork is brilliant. If it shares the same damping system as the regular domain, then its another cheap, sturdy, well thought out product that helps more riders get on affordable, quality gear. Its not a race fork. Its a mountain biker fork.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
I think it's a good move on RS part. It is a good idea for them to have more options available in the DH market.
Having a simpler damper and steel stanchions, plus a lower price will open RS up to a new segment of the market.
I am interested in seeing what the final weight and price will be like.
I like this fork ten-times better than the Sektor, which just seems redundant...

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I like the idea of a DC Domain too. My SC Domain has been great, but if I had the option to do a DC version when I bought it, I might well have gone for the dual.

I also think it would be cool if they fit these to stock Big Hits in the near future.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
You know what the best DH product I have seen this year (and last) is, without arguement?

The e13 LS1+. Its exactly where MTB should be headed. Its 58g heavier then an LG1+. From what I can tell, it will do a brilliant job. Its adjustable. its pretty, and it protects your chain. Its also (in Canada at least) $100 bucks cheaper then the LG1+.

This Domain triple fork is brilliant. If it shares the same damping system as the regular domain, then its another cheap, sturdy, well thought out product that helps more riders get on affordable, quality gear. Its not a race fork. Its a mountain biker fork.
:thumb:

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
I wonder if the dual crown version will have both 302 and 318 versions. the one pictured would be a 302 with only rebound adjustability. I gotta say I've really been enjoying my 2010 boxxer race.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
A cheap 35mm Boxxer with basic damper and steel scratch-resistant stanchions? Lighter than a 32mm chassis 170mm travel Kingpin? What more could a beginner fr/dh'er ask for. Agreed it's not a fork for most of us over here, but a good commitment to the sport.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think it's cool. I don't see myself buying one, but it's good to see someone stepping up and trying to make DH stuff more affordable. Not everyone can go blow 6 grand on a bike. And to the haters who're saying a beginner will be fine with a SC, sure, but there's a reason 200mm DC forks exist. It's not like you have to be Sam Hill to realize the advantages. I don't imagine it'll be light, but probably won't be that porky either. The Domain SC uses the same lowers as the Lyric, so I wouldn't be surprised if this uses Boxxer lowers, and those are light. Sure, the steel stanchions add a bit, but we're talking what, a pound, maybe a pound and a half extra, tops? The Boxxer's damn light, so even with that kind of addition it'll be passable.
If that's directed at my reread my 1st post. I just suggested that most of the ppl getting in the sport don't even know if they are going more fr or dh way, let alone feel the differances but it doesn't change the fact it is a good idea. It'd be not only for people who start but I see a lot of people run really crap stuff after their bike has been stolen/crashed - good replacement. Will prolly be very popular in poorer countries too. Also people really dig dc's even if their riding doesn't even go close to what they were designed for, that's cool with me and that's probably the main reason why it will be sucessfull.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
It will also be a good rental bike fork. No more creaking crowns, and you can turn scratched stanchions in the crowns every month or two to prolong seal life.

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
actually...i think this fork would be perfect for mini dh/do it all bikes
dual crown forks give more stability - thats a known fact

if im building a short travel/hardtail do it all bike i'd consider this

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
actually...i think this fork would be perfect for mini dh/do it all bikes
dual crown forks give more stability - thats a known fact

if im building a short travel/hardtail do it all bike i'd consider this
Unless RS make a solo air or u-turn version, I'm pretty sure you can only run this fork at 8in travel. Why use it on low travel bikes then?

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I just hope it doesnt signal the demise or a price hike on the Boxxer Race. Great fork. Great Value.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
its funny how people are dropping their panties for a cheap dual crown fork (that no one wants,) over a cheap 10 speed drivetrain that most people want

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'd like to see more triple clamp offerings, particularly for trail/lighter bikes. lower front ends are possible with triple clamps than with single crowns...and I bet you could get a realistically lighter fork with longer tubes and lighter crowns/steerer than shorter/ single crown.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
its funny how people are dropping their panties for a cheap dual crown fork (that no one wants,) over a cheap 10 speed drivetrain that most people want
Presumptuous much? More quality entry-level gear can only be a good thing. 10sp X7 instead of manufacturing derailleurs that don't jam on themselves and develop an inch of play within a week of being installed was hardly advancing the state of play, personally I didn't want that one at all.

I wouldn't buy that DC Domain NOW because I'm accustomed to high-end stuff and I'm picky... but when I was getting into the sport I would have killed for something like that.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Presumptuous much? More quality entry-level gear can only be a good thing. 10sp X7 instead of manufacturing derailleurs that don't jam on themselves and develop an inch of play within a week of being installed was hardly advancing the state of play, personally I didn't want that one at all.
not at all. how much more "entry level" do you need besides a $700 Boxxer Race?

Sram's XX drivetrain is great and cost a ton but people are still buying it. a more reasonably priced 10 speed drivetrain is whats needed, hence X7 10 speed.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Perfect fork for the 16yo bikepark groms - the ones with nonfunctional derailleurs and bald rear tires. I anticipate seeing a lot of Domain DC forks at Diablo and Whistler on BigHit, Jamis and Rocky Mountain completes. Perceived coolness of the DC is higher.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
I dig this DC Domain.. I've been using my 06 Boxxer Ride (somewhat similar to the DC Domain in axle to crown length.. i think.. boxxer ride=178mm......domain 160mm) on my Izimu and i love it

and i agree with dropmachine... not a race fork.. but a mountain biker fork!

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Agree it only has rebound damping on the Domain DC pictured,but no motion control or any other fine tune adjustments compaired to the boxxers.Just a very basic fork with rebound only.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Perfect fork for the 16yo bikepark groms - the ones with nonfunctional derailleurs and bald rear tires. I anticipate seeing a lot of Domain DC forks at Diablo and Whistler on BigHit, Jamis and Rocky Mountain completes. Perceived coolness of the DC is higher.
Exactly the image that came into my head..

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Ha. To be fair, I would only go to second base with this fork.

The x7 2x10 is cool, but this is a DH forum. I'm sure it's getting plenty of love on the AM side of things (as it should.)