Quantcast

Rotec RL9

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Im a bit confused. The chain guide mounts to the swingarm and not the main frame? Is that going to work correctly?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Cave Dweller said:
Im a bit confused. The chain guide mounts to the swingarm and not the main frame? Is that going to work correctly?

Sure will, it's got a BB-centric pivot so the chainguide will still be centred around the BB/chainring, but won't have to move relative to the swingarm. Very cool idea actually!

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Thats is correct theflyinfatman, thats the beauty of the system.

Its been a mainstay of Rotecs since the early days. The biggest improvement coming after I aquired the company in 02 when we introduced the ISCG standard onto the 03/04 non linkage rotec.

Prior to that the mounting pattern on all rotecs were based on the older Mr. Dirt standard which placed the holes in a 12/3/6 o'clock postion.

The RL9 is a concentric based lawwill design that was never embraced by other mfg's of that period with the exception of the Gary Fisher/Lawwill RS1 XC design back in the late 80's early 90's. It was a shoe in so to speak for us to develop it this way as Mert had concieved his design as an concentric and Rotec has been concentric based from the begining.

The beauty of this is that for the first time a lawwill design will have a driveline that out performs past configuration by managing chaingrowth issues by using the concentric bb. The only chaingrowth will now come from the rear droplink and not both the chainstay and droplink.

The droplink is another area that we improved on by now moving the mech hanger to the droplink off the chainstay as most prior lawwill owners may remember from their Yeti's and Schwinns. The RL9 has a replaceable hanger only because when a tab did fail it meant the replacement of an entire lower swingarm for both Yeti/Schwinn brands
as well as the replacement of the entire driveside droplink on the Tomac.

Surviablity, durability and serviceablity of that area and its components is key to a successful driveline and ones ability to finish your race run or fun run for that matter.

By also moving the bearings from their orginal lower swingarm location to the outboard postion on the droplinks of the RL9 and utllizing a 12mm thru-axle we have greatly improved the stiffness of the rearend.

And of course this entire system is worthless without a floating rear brake system to control brake induced suspension feedback.

Doug Bradburys 1st gen Tomac 204 I feel was the greatest improvement in Lawwill designs at that time and for reasons unknown to most, the fact their was never a second 2nd gen Tomac Lawwill was a bummer to us who loved that design.

Long live Lawwill!!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Cave Dweller said:
I see Sully already talked about it but the ability for the chainguide to track the rear wheel through the travel can only be good. I always thought the angle the chainguide was forced to deal with on a more common frame mount systems seems like there is more wear/tear/stress put on it.

Imagine a HT with a single ring chainguide. You can set the top guide (block/roller/etc) to not touch the chain at all. You don't need constant tension on the upper part of the guide, you jsut need it to keep the chian on track. I ran a Blackspire guide, with their solid nylon block upper guide piece for years and there is hardly a scuff from the chain. Just seemed to make more sense to me. I assume if you could mount the derailer to the swing arm it would work better too ((Rotec has(had?) a E-type derailer/swingarm mount for the bike in the past)) Currently I have an Evil guide and the chain doesn't really touch at all up top unless the chain is bouncing....but there is no dragging on the system

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
With the ISCG 05 mounts and the chainguide bolted to the swingarm, its just about an ideal setup as far as I am concerned!

Dave

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i really like the look / sound of the new frame... good work sully... i ve never really been much of a fan (in the past), but this is something that gets me excited... i m in the market for a new frame and this is stirring motion in my pants more and more...

nice work...

partsbara

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sully, can ya give us a little info on the shock / suspension rate.. is it designed around a 5th ??? how would an avy work in there ??? can ya give us an i to i and stroke figure ??

DHX ???

thanks

partsbara

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Well the leverage is 3:1. This hasn't changed from the previous years.

The 06 will be utllizing a 5th element 9.5x3 cvt3. This shock has less adjustments regarding hi/lo speed and due to the rising progression of the frame the RL9 does not require the progression adj (platform).

And because the RL9 does have such a nice rising rate, any non-progressive (fox, avi, romic, etc) shock will also work with the same steller results

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Hey monkeys, here are some renderings showing what the production frame will be.

The first shows a non-drive side view of the rear as well as a good view of the rear mech hanger.

The second is an exploded view of the driveside droplink and hardware.

The third shows the underside of the CS so you can view the tri-stepped dropout thats designed to address the mech jockey and chain clearance at the dropout that increases b-tension adjustment for improved jockey/cog chainlink distance.

This greatly improved the shifting over prior lawwills.

Attachments

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
This rendering shows the med mainframe that will offer 29 inches of standover.

You can also see in great detail the new gussets that have now replaced the prior version (thats the prototype).

Attachments

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
John Sullivan` said:
Hey monkeys, here are some renderings showing what the production frame will be.

The first shows a non-drive side view of the rear as well as a good view of the rear mech hanger.

The second is an exploded view of the driveside droplink and hardware.

The third shows the underside of the CS so you can view the tri-stepped dropout thats designed to address the mech jockey and chain clearance at the dropout that increases b-tension adjustment for improved jockey/cog chainlink distance.

This greatly improved the shifting over prior lawwills.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Hey DHS, at this time I haven't decided yet as to what direction that should go.

Yes I'd have to aggree with you somewhat that the shock would see mud but no more or no less than any other design that has its rear wheel in close proximity.

I'd love to do something for it but its just not possible at this time.

Design time, Injection molding and the high cost to produce in small numbers just isn't in our budget at this time.

What I've personally done to my own rig is no different that what most riders do that live in areas (seattle, wa) that see constant rain, make a fender with an old innertube stretched between both swingarms, over the shock.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
John Sullivan` said:
What I've personally done to my own rig is no different that what most riders do that live in areas (seattle, wa) that see constant rain, make a fender with an old innertube stretched between both swingarms, over the shock.

maybe you could just supply a couple extra zip tie guides in the areas you'd use to fasten the "inner tube web". (2 under seatstay, 2 on top of chainstay) That way the user could have a good place to locate the web and not have to use multiple zipsties, or other half baked mounting attempts. I do a ghetto thing with my DHR and THE fender half, but the zip ties wrapping around the swingarm tube make it look like hell after a while.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Very nice! :thumb:

Any chance of a front derailleur mount? I liked that option on the early Rotec's and is what keeps me on my aging Yeti DH-6. :)

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Actually because the ISCG is on the swingarm you can run an e-type style chainguide.

I've thought of offering a cable stop tucked away on the swingarm to allow this. In fact the proto has the cable stop but never got around to mounting the e-type on the RL9 to get some trail time logged.

More than likely the 06 RL9's won't have them though as we're into production already and well past that point of no return (changes)!

But I have mounted those cablestops on the backs of chainguides in the past to allow
front mechs.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Do the guide on mine! Thats friggen killer! What a great idea.

As for a fender, I am sure something can be rigged, like all the riders on thier Giant's.

kellybike

Chimp
Mar 12, 2005
NorCal
That suspension design is amazing, the graphics are alright on the main frame, and Great on the swing arm.
The only trouble that I foresee is with shifting. The distance between the rear der. hanger and the rear axle is too great. As with the YETI's and Schwinn's, if the der, hanger was closer to the axle it would shift and stay in gear much better.
Other than that,... I Want...

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
John Sullivan` said:
You are correct, the swingarm does offer both styles of ISCG. If the 05 doesn't take we'll remove it from the following model year. But not knowing for sure what the market will do regarding the ISCG's it made sense to offer both for at least this first batch of frames.

Yes the rear mech is attached to the rear droplink, and it's a replaceable hanger!

And Yes once more to the Hopey, we will be offering direct mounting for 06.
That mount has been somewhat of a trademark with our frames since we took ownership of the company in 2002.

I am a fan for sure and everyone else should be also. Why wouldn't you want something that allows you to go faster and maintain control?? And the direct mount eliminates any install issues of the past.

You can't base the Hopey performance from a parking lot test. You have to try it in real life, but granted it may not be for everyone but thats why its an easy install with our frames.

As I am a firm believer in the Hopey system it only made sense to include that feature in our development of frames for the company.

And thanks for the props as well, we do try!
Kelly the mech hanger IS attached to the link and is replaceable, sweet, now put a deposit on one!!!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
kellybike said:
That suspension design is amazing, the graphics are alright on the main frame, and Great on the swing arm.
The only trouble that I foresee is with shifting. The distance between the rear der. hanger and the rear axle is too great. As with the YETI's and Schwinn's, if the der, hanger was closer to the axle it would shift and stay in gear much better.
Other than that,... I Want...
Shifting is not an issue...in my few short pedals on it, I bounced (and when I bounce, I BOUNCE!!) while shifting up and down....not a skip!!...even with the proto der. hanger....since it'll be on the drop link for the production model, it'll be even better!! Werd!!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
John Sullivan` said:
The RL9 is a concentric based lawwill design that was never embraced by other mfg's of that period with the exception of the Gary Fisher/Lawwill RS1 XC design back in the late 80's early 90's. It was a shoe in so to speak for us to develop it this way as Mert had concieved his design as an concentric and Rotec has been concentric based from the begining.
Profile was a manufacturer of bikes that made a concentric pivot lawill design.

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Actually you're correct, but its was never a legit rig and never agreed to as a Mert Lawwill approved design. Imagine designing something amazing only to have someone copy your design concept right under your nose.

And give no credit to the designer or pay royalties?

Regarding " embraced" I was speaking of the mainstream mgfs (Schwinn, Yeti, Tomac) of that time who were producing frames under the Mert Lawwill licenced name and the right to market them, thats all.

Sorry but I find bootleg not cool.....thus no credit given.

Just to clear the air, there are several designs that are on the market today that I feel cross the Lawwill line. I won't mention who they are but the blaten
use of the Mert Lawwill design is clearly present and personally I find that to be unfair to Mert and to anyone who purchases one under the premiss that it is a Lawwill in both design and function.

My 2 cents

A semi-pro’s thoughts regarding Roteccycles upcoming 2006 RL9:

It’s awesome to see all the positive interest generated by the new Rotec RL9 on several well known websites.

I've been quite lucky for the past two months to have in my possession, an RL9 prototype and this bike has been nothing short of amazing.

I’ve just returned home from a five week road trip where I rode the RL9 almost everyday on all types of terrain and just about every trail condition. I rode it at Whistler for 11 days and then hit up races in Schweitzer, Snowmass, Telluride, and Brian Head.

The RL9 took everything I could throw at it and it begged for more. John at Roteccycles paid a lot of attention to the details when designing this frameset and it’s noticeable when you ride it, everything is the way it should be.

There’s quite a bit that’s different from the past Lawwill’s I am used to, things like the ISCG mounts on the swing arm to the integrated Hopey steering dampener mount . The beauty is in the simplicity of the details.

The Mert Lawwill inspired rear suspension design with the Moto inspired full floater shock placement combined with the signature Rotec concentric BB out performs away any prior Lawwill design I’ve ridden. With that being said, I spent the entire 05 season on a Yeti DH9 as well as having the opportunity to ride other mfgs versions of the Lawwill over the past several years.

The RL9 pedals great and offers outstanding performance. The rearward wheel path allows the RL9 to take square rock hits and stutter bumps very efficiently. It’s incredibly stable at high speeds. It corners well, slinks through tight woods, and tracks wonderfully through the braking bumps.

Personally though, I’m most impressed with the way it handles the ruff stuff on courses like Schweitzer. The only thing I would say that I didn't quite care for on the prototype RL9 was the weight of the frameset as it was a bit hefty at 15 pounds with shock and rear floater.

This has been addressed for the upcoming 06 production run. The 06 RL9 frameset will be approximately 3 lbs lighter with a large percentage of the weight being removed from the swing arm assembly and its components.

I fully expect that this reduction in sprung weight will improve the tracking performance of the rear suspension which in turn will make the RL9 ride even better and of course allow me to ride faster!

I would highly recommend this design to anybody in the market for a new DH rig whether you’re an Elite racer, a Beginner just getting started, or a Free rider having fun, as this design inspires confidence and allows you to enjoy the ride.

I can't wait for my personal 06 RL9 to arrive later this month. If anyone has any questions for me regarding the RL9, let me know and I’ll try and to answer them for you.

Ride-On everyone,

Michael Buell

Semi-pro
Factory Team Rotec

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Hey Mike....it's Greg...the big f*cker from Schweitzer...prolly the only guy there with a bike that weighed more than yours :rolleyes: :eviltongu :p

How'd you do at Brian Head???...I could check the results...but I'm too lazy... :p :stosh:

Oh yeah....BUY TOREC....wait..that's not it...BUY ORCET....no..no...oh yeah! BUY ROTEC!! :stupid:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
ViciousDHer said:
So has anyone ever ridden one of these, besides the proto ? Or were they ever put in production

The Buell brothers are members on the monkey, they've both got production models and will be racing for rotec's team this season

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
They did go into production. I had a parking lot test on one. The bike pedaled really well, felt very responcive. The rest of the bike felt good also.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Sounds like a nice frame. I would like to take one for a ride, I have always been a fan of Lawwill bikes. I would like to see how it compares to my straight 8.