Quantcast

Sam Hill Injured?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
...& yet he will be attending & riding... whereas there are companies & people boycotting the NORBAs.

... so what class are you racing?
Ya, I know a rider who does not race norbas, but he is not going to the race to hang out-that makes no sense to me (go to a race but hangout while you are perfectly able to race) but whatever, to each his own.

What class am I racing? are you for real? I think you know I will not be racing, I will be watching...you have a problem with people who watch bicycle racing? do you have to race to be 'cool'?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Ya, I know a rider who does not race norbas, but he is not going to the race to hang out-that makes no sense to me (go to a race but hangout while you are perfectly able to race) but whatever, to each his own.

What class am I racing? are you for real? I think you know I will not be racing, I will be watching...you have a problem with people who watch bicycle racing? do you have to race to be 'cool'?
for someone who is arguing against Hill just watching, you're not really helping your case...

:busted:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
world champion even going to the race is good in itself.

take what you can get.
and therein lies the problem. Fans pay his way because they buy the products he runs. And last time I checked the country buying the bulk of the products he's hawking is USA.

Basicly choosing to not race in the country that supports you the most as a racer...crap. NICO paid his own way to Deer Valley just to be racing and could have been in France being pampered and revered.
He even only had 1 bike, his DH, and raced in the Pro Dual Slalom to the round of 8 and barely got bumped by Lopes.

Monster and Iron Horse having him in this country, bringing him to a race and them letting him go be amongst the elite at a totally unrelated event?

Dylan, if he was one of your Utopia riders, you think you're gonna sell more goggles with Hill hanging out and then jetting to a motocross event where he'll be a nobody...is really the stand-up thing to do?

I say it's a borderline insults to fans. Nobody cares how fast a guy practices...until he puts up his race time.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Maybe you guys can help clear some things up for me. I still don't get why Sam, an Australian who races the world cup series is supposed to race the US Nationals?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
and therein lies the problem. Fans pay his way because they buy the products he runs. And last time I checked the country buying the bulk of the products he's hawking is USA.

Basicly choosing to not race in the country that supports you the most as a racer...crap. NICO paid his own way to Deer Valley just to be racing and could have been in France being pampered and revered.
He even only had 1 bike, his DH, and raced in the Pro Dual Slalom to the round of 8 and barely got bumped by Lopes.

Monster and Iron Horse having him in this country, bringing him to a race and them letting him go be amongst the elite at a totally unrelated event?

Dylan, if he was one of your Utopia riders, you think you're gonna sell more goggles with Hill hanging out and then jetting to a motocross event where he'll be a nobody...is really the stand-up thing to do?

I say it's a borderline insults to fans. Nobody cares how fast a guy practices...until he puts up his race time.
I know I would be happy to see just see Hill there, and maybe even getting the chance to try and keep up with him for a run during practice.

I guess still being a grom and not getting too caught up in all this **** has its benefits.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I know I would be happy to see just see Hill there, and maybe even getting the chance to try and keep up with him for a run during practice.

I guess still being a grom and not getting too caught up in all this **** has its benefits.
It's OK. You haven't developed Adult American Sense of Entitlement Syndrome yet. Maybe you'll be immune to it. God love ya....

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I find all of the armchair team management here quite funny. Just a year or so ago we were all collectively heckling TBB/"Norba" about the inclusion of Fontana as an NMBS and that the course wasn't up to snuff. Now a bunch of guys are complaining because the World Champion is not racing this same event to attend a function at the request of the primary team sponsor, who has quite a vested interest in said function. To top it off, some of the folks piping up so adamantly aren't even attending the Fontana event!

Monster/Iron Horse as a team is not supporting the 2007 NMBS series for a myriad of reasons, as are a few other teams and vendors. However, Iron Horse the company still quite obviously supports racing in the US with top American pro riders such as Duncan Riffle and events such as the US Open. Accusing Sam Hill, Iron Horse, or Monster of somehow turning it's back on US racing with Sam not competing this event is just flat out wrong.

If Sam was to race Fontucky and something was god-forbid to go wrong, all of the SAME armchair guys would be saying how much of a mistake it was for him to compete in an event with no points, status, etc the week preceding a World Cup in the first place!

Bottom line as always; think before you post.

-ska todd

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I find all of the armchair team management here quite funny. Just a year or so ago we were all collectively heckling TBB/"Norba" about the inclusion of Fontana as an NMBS and that the course wasn't up to snuff. Now a bunch of guys are complaining because the World Champion is not racing this same event to attend a function at the request of the primary team sponsor, who has quite a vested interest in said function. To top it off, some of the folks piping up so adamantly aren't even attending the Fontana event!

Monster/Iron Horse as a team is not supporting the 2007 NMBS series for a myriad of reasons, as are a few other teams and vendors. However, Iron Horse the company still quite obviously supports racing in the US with top American pro riders such as Duncan Riffle and events such as the US Open. Accusing Sam Hill, Iron Horse, or Monster of somehow turning it's back on US racing with Sam not competing this event is just flat out wrong.

If Sam was to race Fontucky and something was god-forbid to go wrong, all of the SAME armchair guys would be saying how much of a mistake it was for him to compete in an event with no points, status, etc the week preceding a World Cup in the first place!

-ska todd
I'm not patting NORBA on the back. I am on the East Coast and not coming. I am a fan of racing. I am always talking out of my ass...refer to my avatar. :thumb:
Consistency wins championships...heh...
:pirate2:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I doubt this is a decision made by S.H. himself but I completely disagree with any of the sponsors who are trying defend the significance of him not racing. A few weeks ago Sam was said to be paid by his fans and sponsors to ride down a course throwing whips and put on a show. Now his sponsors are paying him to NOT Race at a venue that he will basically be at. What does this say about the companys support of grass root or US racing?

If David Beckham(largest paid soccer player) is in town for an exhibition game and insted attends the Super Bowl what message does this send to the fans. The way I see it , it says that he (or his sponsors) find football to be more significant than soccer. On top of that I find it an insult to the organizers,( who are putting in a hell of a lot of effort to field a quality US event when most don't want anyting to do with the sport), to have the World Champions camp dismiss the event. Showing up as a fan, I think, makes it worse.

I know the S.H. sponsors did not intend to send this kind of message but it is most certainly a poor play on their part.

I can guarantee there would be riders from Vegas willing to drive to Fontana to have the opportunity to race along side of Hill but hey It's probably a much better idea (for the sport) to have the World Champ go to the SX finals where 90% of the people will have no F'ing idea of who he is.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
IH not uspporting grass roots racing in the US? . . . what a bunch of nonesense.

US Open, DiabloFreeride park bike supplier, Mt. Snow Iron Horse DH series the past 3 years, countless privateers who they help out, bikes supplied for raffles and fundraisers. . . i could go on.

i'd be hard pressed to name a company who is more actively involved in the domestic race scene, and you guys are crying foul because Sam Hill won't be racing so he can attend a huge money making event for his team's primary outside sponsor, at their request?

you're kidding yourselves if you think Sam's presence at Fontana is going to bring in spectators. If you're Monster why send your rider to a poorly promoted, little regarded, and slowy declining race series on a shabby course at a crappy venue when you can have an audience of several 10's of thousand paying fans a few hours away?:clapping:

where do all the lounge chair TM's think Monster gets the money to support a world cup team and give out Sponsorhouse deals to all the groms . . . . it certainly isn't from MTB marketing

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
IH not uspporting grass roots racing in the US? . . . what a bunch of nonesense.

i'd be hard pressed to name a company who is more actively involved in the domestic race scene, and you guys are crying foul because Sam Hill won't be racing so he can attend a huge money making event for his team's primary outside sponsor, at their request?
you're kidding yourselves if you think Sam's presence at Fontana is going to bring in spectators. If you're Monster why send your rider to a poorly promoted, little regarded, and slowy declining race series on a shabby course at a crappy venue when you can have an audience of several 10's of thousand paying fans a few hours away?:clapping:

where do all the lounge chair TM's think Monster gets the money to support a world cup team and give out Sponsorhouse deals to all the groms . . . . it certainly isn't from MTB marketing
I do not know who said IH does not support racing, but that is crazy talk, we all know they do, so not even a discussion.

At any rate, I will chime in with some more of my armchair team management... ;)
You ask why send your rider to a shabby MTB race? because he is the current world champion and no matter how crappy it is, he is the ambassador of the sport. No one at supercross will have a clue who Sam Hill is, or Steve Peat, Brian Lopes etc...(get the point? no? well I mean if you are 'sending' a rider to SX for marketing reasons thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard...he is going because he wants to, not because he was told to.)

I have no problem with people choosing not to race NORBAs, but why friggin go anyways???? that is all I am getting at. Stay home and rest up or do not show up.

Any justifying of the current world champion to show up at a race and just watch is crazy talk-unless he was injured, which is the only time it would make sense. I sent my riders with bum ankles, wrists to the races to 'hang in the pits' because its good for business, but when they told me "I do not want to race that sh1tty event" then they got told "STAY HOME".

I know a racer kid here in town here that heard 'the world champion is racing fontana', he was so psyched to see him battle it out with Rennie and Kovarik-sucks to be him.

Oh well, guess I will just enjoy watching Rennie and Kovarik on the crap course.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
. If you're Monster why send your rider to a poorly promoted, little regarded, and slowy declining race series on a shabby course at a crappy venue when you can have an audience of several 10's of thousand paying fans a few hours away?:clapping:
Please save this quote so that when you have no place left to race you can look back and answer the question of why DH racing disappeared. Seriously, I lurk on this site all of the time and I cannot believe how many times I hear people talk about DH's current state of unsupported cashless races only to read people talk about remaining venues like this. If I were a big money corporation and was researching the possibility of sponsoring a sport like DH and came across a site like this, I would stay the hell away.

Out of this 10 of thousands fans how many know who Sam Hill is? I'ld be willing to bet no more than will be spectating at Fontana. I am quite aware that Ironhorse supports racing, but the decision does not make sense. I am not suggesting that he should be flown in to such a venue but he is going to allready be there.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Please save this quote so that when you have no place left to race you can look back and answer the question of why DH racing disappeared. Seriously, I lurk on this site all of the time and I cannot believe how many times I hear people talk about DH's current state of unsupported cashless races only to read people talk about remaining venues like this. If I were a big money corporation and was researching the possibility of sponsoring a sport like DH and came across a site like this, I would stay the hell away.

Out of this 10 of thousands fans how many know who Sam Hill is? I'ld be willing to bet no more than will be spectating at Fontana. I am quite aware that Ironhorse supports racing, but the decision does not make sense. I am not suggesting that he should be flown in to such a venue but he is going to allready be there.
Maybe the promoters/federations should do a better job, then the sponsors would come back as racers would actually want to attend races in the USA? You know, treat the racers like your customers, not your indentured servants.

On that note, let's be clear, DH racing is THRIVING outside of the USA. It isn't the rest of the world's fault the US' governing body sucks.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA

-ska todd

Ask not what NMBS can do for you but what you can do for NMBS.

Before this whole thread I was big time Sam Hill IH/Monster supporter. I feel blessed to have watched Sam race DS and DH at Sea Otter. While he wasn't the fastest guy for that event it was amazing to watch arguably the most talented gravity racer in the world at moment in person and not in some video.

Having Sam attend the event and then bail to watch a SX race where (as Stikman noted) no one will know or care who he is, is pretty lame. If he is truely worried about injuring himself. Why not skip the entire World Cup season and just concentrate on the World Championships?

If nothing else I hope Sam at least practices at Fontana so that all the SoCal groms come away inspired to approach DH racing as a serious sport worthy of passing over the traditional sports to concentrate on.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
On that note, let's be clear, DH racing is THRIVING outside of the USA. It isn't the rest of the world's fault the US' governing body sucks.
actually, racing is thriving outside of NORBA/NMBS. I've only been married for, ummm, about 2 weeks and I'm about to get divorced (ok, not really) since I'll be spending the entire months of May and June racing events that are within a 3.5-4h drive. hell, there are so many races there's conflicts as to which ones to support. these range from grassroots one-time races like Reading, to big mtn series put on by Diablo and Mt Snow. then there's the fact that there's a gravity east series if you want to link a bunch of the east coast races together. so it seems like DH racing is doing quite well aside from NMBS... :monkeydance:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
actually, racing is thriving outside of NORBA/NMBS. I've only been married for, ummm, about 2 weeks and I'm about to get divorced (ok, not really) since I'll be spending the entire months of May and June racing events that are within a 3.5-4h drive. hell, there are so many races there's conflicts as to which ones to support. these range from grassroots one-time races like Reading, to big mtn series put on by Diablo and Mt Snow. then there's the fact that there's a gravity east series if you want to link a bunch of the east coast races together. so it seems like DH racing is doing quite well aside from NMBS... :monkeydance:
Ya, shoulda been more clear. I mean big racing, grassroots level racing is exploding, especially in the north east. The fact that the national series has no uci points and no real prize money and they blew their shot at a World Cup, says a lot.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Please save this quote so that when you have no place left to race you can look back and answer the question of why DH racing disappeared. Seriously, I lurk on this site all of the time and I cannot believe how many times I hear people talk about DH's current state of unsupported cashless races only to read people talk about remaining venues like this. If I were a big money
corporation and was researching the possibility of sponsoring a sport like DH and came across a site like this, I would stay the hell away.
if you were a big money corporation you'd know better than to base your business decisions on the oft uninformed blatherings of a select
few subscribers to a message board. . . good thing you are not a big corporation, eh?

I'm not worried about looking back and asking why DH racing disappeared, it's currently enjoying a time of relative prosperity outside the NMBS series. These are not unsupported, cashless races none of which require Sam Hill's presence to attract racers, spectators, or sponsors.

GES #1 Duryea Downhill Race May 5th -6th Duryea, PA Gravity East Point Series

GES #2 Massanutten Yee-Ha! DH Race May 12th Massanutten, VA

Plattekill Extreme Series #1 May 12-13th Plattekill, NY

GES #3 Diablo Domination Race #1 May 20 Diablo, Mt Creek, NJ Gravity East Point Series

US Open May 25-27 Diablo, Mt Creek, NJ

GES #4 Plattekill Extreme Series #2 June 2 - 3 Plattekill, NY Gravity East Point Series

IronHorse DH Series #1 June 9th - 10th Mount Snow, VT

GES #5 Wisp Resort DH Race June 15-17 Wisp, MD Gravity East Point Series

Arrowhead EFTA DH Race June 30th Claremont, NH

Diablo Domination Race #2 July 1st Diablo, Mt Creek, NJ

IronHorse DH Series #2 July 7-8th Mount Snow, VT

Plattekill Extreme Series #3 July 14-15 Plattekill, NY

Highland Mtn GS2 Series #1 July 28th-29th Northfield, NH

Diablo Domination Race #3 August 5th Diablo, Mt Creek, NJ

Highland Mtn GS2 Series #2 August 11th-12th Northfield, NH

IronHorse DH Series #3 August 18-19 Mount Snow, VT

Plattekill Extreme Series #4 August 25 - 26 Plattekill, NY

GES #6 2nd Annual Whiteface Mtn 5K Race #1 Sept 1st - 2nd Lake Placid, NY Gravity East Point Series

Highland Mtn GS2 Series #3 Sept 8th-9th Northfield, NH

Plattekill Extreme #5 AMBC/Collegiate Races September 15 - 16

GES#7 IronHorse DH Series #4 September 22-23 Mount Snow, VT Gravity East Point Series

GES #8 Wisp Resort Sept. 29th-30 Wisp , MD Gravity East Point Series

Diablo Domination Race #4 September 30 Diablo, Mt Creek, NJ

Whiteface Mtn Race #2 Oct. 7th Lake Placid, NY

GES #9 Final Plattekill Extreme #6 October 13 - 14 Plattekill, NY Gravity East Point Series

Diablo Domination Race #5 October 21st Diablo, Mt Creek, NJ

Diablo Freeride park Jump Session October 28th Diablo Mtn Creek, NJ

Plattekill Extreme Series #7 November 10 - 11th Plattekill, NY

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Let it be known that if you live anywhere in the southern half of the United States right now, either coast...Downhill racing is dead.

That series needs to be called the Northeast Coast Gravity Series.