Quantcast

Saturday Feb 10th - Carolina Mountains?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I think we may hit up the new Shuttle run over at North Mills we did a few weeks back on Sat. You up for that? I am still open to any other ride. I may have the DH bike by then too.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
We will be out @ Wilsons, not sure what we are riding yet. Meet at the dirtmounds @ 10.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Wilson's is my preference. I even gots me a new rear tire, now maybe I will be able to control the bike coming down those steep sections of Bee-Hive. If that is what we end up hitting.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I am up for what ever the boys down here want to do. I will talk to Dave after lunch when he gets up and talk to Jeremy around then too. With the weather looking warmer this weekend than last I am up for something high in the Mts. I just don't want to be gone all day.

Oct 9, 2006
Snow boarding sunday if any one wants to go, not gonna be riding however. Will have a few guests in town this weekend so says the wife.

Wait a minute I aint married...yall are affecting my train of thought with all of your marriedness and permission this permission that.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
So after talking to Jeremy and Dave yesterday it looks as we are going to stay around the Ashville area to ride. Thinking of hitting the new DH run up at North Mills a few times and "maybe Greens lick". If anyone can think of a better shuttle run in that area to do let us know. We will some people from out of town with us on Big Bikes and they don't want to climb anything. Bo was at Benit Gap 3 days ago and it’s still closed so that is out. Thoughts?

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Right now we're just planning on Wilsons. We'll definitely come up there more often when the parkway opens back up. Let us know what you plan on riding, if its a different loop that we havent hit yet and you can get to right now I'd come out there. But driving all that way just to shuttle that trail off Mills River doesnt make much sense for us when we can get to Wilsons in under 2 hours. At the same time, I understand why you guys dont wanna make the drive every weekend when you have good trails closer to you.

Like I said, we'll definitely be up that way more often when the parkway is open again.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Right now we're just planning on Wilsons. We'll definitely come up there more often when the parkway opens back up. Let us know what you plan on riding, if its a different loop that we havent hit yet and you can get to right now I'd come out there. But driving all that way just to shuttle that trail off Mills River doesnt make much sense for us when we can get to Wilsons in under 2 hours. At the same time, I understand why you guys dont wanna make the drive every weekend when you have good trails closer to you.

Like I said, we'll definitely be up that way more often when the parkway is open again.
Word!!!

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
You know what to do. :twitch: Theres only one climb on this ride, all you boyz should come.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
I understand why you guys dont wanna make the drive every weekend when you have good trails closer to you.
pretty much the story of all our lives.
we're too darn spread out to be able to rip together more than just once and awhile.
and it takes dynamite to blast me away from my home set-up.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
It was a good un for sure. It was just Jeff, me, Dave (physco), Derick, and Lyra. Trails were dry, and it just got warmer as the day went on. Oh and we met Brian (said Mo let him know we'd be out there), he only got a couple Headley runs in with us, then when we left, him and Lyra were going back up for another.

Kenan, are you coming with us the 17th? If you dont know what Im talking about call Jeff or myself.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So after talking to Jeremy and Dave yesterday it looks as we are going to stay around the Ashville area to ride. Thinking of hitting the new DH run up at North Mills a few times and "maybe Greens lick". If anyone can think of a better shuttle run in that area to do let us know. We will some people from out of town with us on Big Bikes and they don't want to climb anything. Bo was at Benit Gap 3 days ago and it’s still closed so that is out. Thoughts?

You need to pay VERY close attention to this thread. If you value your bike.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2738847&posted=1#post2738847

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Thanks man. There was no sign at the top saying no bikes. We had no idea if the trail that started at the top was the same as where we where ending up. Now we know better. Sucks that trail in off limits, it is super fun.:cheers:
That was the second time you had done that trail in only a few weeks and it's got 1 entrance and 1 exit. There is a sign at the exit that marks it as hiker only. Therefore you KNOW that halfway up it isn't going to become a bike trail.

But you chose to go back and do it a second time and put everybody at risk....and the cops were trying to find and arrest you guys...and they would have, but showed too late.

There's no excuse for shuttling a trail in Pisgah that's been off limits since we started shuttle 10 years ago when it's marked.

One run down that very first time was all you needed to know to not do it again. I don't like coming under fire by my local SOBRA chapter and getting grouped in with poachers. I tried to warn Brady on his way up Friday.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
That was the second time you had done that trail in only a few weeks and it's got 1 entrance and 1 exit. There is a sign at the exit that marks it as hiker only. Therefore you KNOW that halfway up it isn't going to become a bike trail.

But you chose to go back and do it a second time and put everybody at risk....and the cops were trying to find and arrest you guys...and they would have, but showed too late.

There's no excuse for shuttling a trail in Pisgah that's been off limits since we started shuttle 10 years ago when it's marked.

One run down that very first time was all you needed to know to not do it again. I don't like coming under fire by my local SOBRA chapter and getting grouped in with poachers. I tried to warn Brady on his way up Friday.
Don't go blaming and singling me out for everything man. I never saw a sign the first or second time I went down that trail. Only road it twice that day. This past weekends ride we did see a sign at the bottom and not at the top. There needs to be a sign at the top!!!! How do I know that we couldn't ride the top and the trail at the bottom was the same as the one up top as there was no trail name up top? Plus there were cross country guys going up the trail from the bottom along with hikers that we never saw going up the trail when we were going down. That is why we think there was another trail. Now that I do know it is the same trail, I will never suggest or ride there again. So don't go blaming me when everyone there agreed to ride it after we saw the sign at the bottom. I didn't hold a gun to their heads. If you want to blame someone for it then blame the persons that are responsible for making sure there is a sign at a trail head with a no bike sign and name of the trail on it. That way there is no dispute on if the trail at the top and bottom are the same. Dude I am not for riding trails that are not for bikes, you know this. But when it’s not marked how do we know? If you SORBA guy is all over you then let him know there is no sign at the top and there needs to be one. Like I said thanks for the heads up and letting us know its off limits. I will let the guy that showed us the trail a few weeks back know.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
My post from MTBR. Same story different channel. Will we get any real answers?

Wow Shuttling and Pisgah. I thought those 2 words weren't allowed in the same thread anymore.

I see a lot of familiar names here, but some new ones that seem to be in the know. So can we get some clarity, direction and shall I even suggest documentation? There have been a few vague mentionings of people that know people that know the rangers. Or those that are claiming to be experts. Can we get some documented answers to some questions. I will even <gasp> use some examples.

Trace Ridge/Spencer Gap from the Beaver Dam overlook. Trace Ridge and Spencer Gap are CLEARLY marked bicycle use. Wash Creek Road is a legal road to drive on, as is the Parkway. There is a paved parking area right there. According to the Trails Illustrated Map (that I have sprawled over my dining room table right now) The Beaver Dam Gap Overlook trail (labeled foot traffic only) INTERSECTS with the Parkway and Trace/Spencer.

Therefore my question is this. Is it Illegal or Legal to WALK, while carrying your bike on that section?

Similarly

Laurel Mountain Mt Connector and Laurel Mountain listed as Hiking and Mountain biking, connects Mount Pisgah over look that leads to a Paved PARKING LOT.

Can you WALK with your bike from the Overlook to the Biking section of trail? Would we be having the same argument if people were climbing up and walking to check out the overlook?

I would assume the PURPOSE of the overlook is to check it out, but lets try to avoid anyone else assuming.

For those of you that Poached the illegal trail... :nope: a brief look at the map would of told you that it is lableled Foot Traffic Only.

For those of you throwing stones at those people, when you in the past have actually been caught for doing so (in other areas of the forest) you get the big (I cannot find a hypocrit smiley)

As far as the other section of Pisgah. I Have that map as well, and that is where it gets more confusing. None of the regularly ridden trails are listed on the maps. However there are some listed roads, that follow some of what I would assume is the trail. I have seen signs, with names that do not coordinate with my relatively new Trails Illustrated map. The signs at the top of the two I can think of clearly say NO Motorized vehicles, but it does not designate the trail hiking/biking or otherwise.

So who has answers and not more assumptions?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
My aggressive stance is because of the said scenario Rob mentions. For those that don't know, a few years back, some MTB friends and I shuttled a trail that has two forks. The one fork is, not surprisingly, very fun. It was legal for bikes for years, but had recently within the last year or two, been closed to bikes. At the top intersection, it was not marked...at the bottom we looked back and it was now marked "No bikes'.

Our map still listed it as MTB. We went that day and got the updated map.

Quite some time later, a group of riders rode the same said trail multiple weekends and the FS came down hard and issued warnings through the shops to get off it.

From that point in my biking life, anytime I've found a trail I consider a shuttleable trail, I do my research by calling the FS themselves and ask. A good example...Snooks Nose. I rode it many years back with a large group when it was not marked (had to bail on a Heartbreak ride in 28 degree temps). At bottom, it was marked no MOTOS only.

This winter I wanted to go back and check it out...but b/c of that time years back, I first called the FS. They informed me that it was closed to bikes now. My point is, Cecil was with me back then when that happened. He's ridden Pisgah for as long as I have and has the common sense to know that if were shuttleable and bike legal, he would know about it already.

And since he DIDN'T know it and there was NO sign, he knew he should go and verify it's purpose before riding it anymore. Instead, after that first day with whoever showed him the trail, he knowingly chose to ride a trail without first finding out if it was legal.

I'm not trying to SLAM Cecil. I'm trying to use it as an example of just how serious the FS is about poaching. That day if they'd caught them, there would be BIG fines and if they felt like it, confiscated bikes.

And believe me...Randy Burgess, the Ranger, is a very MTB friendly on legal trails...but very, very UNFRIENDLY on illegal trails.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
My aggressive stance is because of the said scenario Rob mentions. For those that don't know, a few years back, some MTB friends and I shuttled a trail that has two forks. The one fork is, not surprisingly, very fun. It was legal for bikes for years, but had recently within the last year or two, been closed to bikes. At the top intersection, it was not marked...at the bottom we looked back and it was now marked "No bikes'.

It's a shame, I still wish I could ride it every time I'm up there. It worries me, that whole incident happened in one winter, and other stuff could go the same way.

When I moved to Boone, I don't think I knew a single route in wilsons creek....now, if I did a search, I could probably find the names of half the runs up there on this very forum. Word gets out...stuff gets closed. The truth is, not every run you find needs to be shown to the world. If you've got a stash that's legal, appreciate it, keep your mouth shut to some degree, and hopefully keep it that way.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
It's a shame, I still wish I could ride it every time I'm up there. It worries me, that whole incident happened in one winter, and other stuff could go the same way.

When I moved to Boone, I don't think I knew a single route in wilsons creek....now, if I did a search, I could probably find the names of half the runs up there on this very forum. Word gets out...stuff gets closed. The truth is, not every run you find needs to be shown to the world. If you've got a stash that's legal, appreciate it, keep your mouth shut to some degree, and hopefully keep it that way.
Being that Im one of the people that have mentioned trail names in that area on here, Im going to reply. Saying a trail name does NOTHING. We've never once given any kind of directions to one of those trails. You can know all the trail names you want, but it wont get you very far. And I hate to tell ya, but the wilsons creek area is far from a secret and its been that way for quite some time. People have been having big group rides up there before you even started riding.

Another thing, I cant imagine what I'd do if no one had ever shown those trails to me. We dont have all that many options for DH here, and if I meet someone as passionate about riding as me, Im gonna show them the PUBLIC trails that were shown to me. All of which you could pick up a book or a map and find anyway.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I never said I could stop anyone from riding wilsons, it's as much anyone's as it is mine, and I'm far from the first to know about it. I won't bash anyone that's trying to have a good time on their bike, this is just my opinion on the topic.

That said, there's a LOT of trails out there (edit: "out there" meaning IN Wilson's Creek) that people don't know about. What if those trails become as popular as the main ones? They'll be closed, that's what. And even if saying the name won't get people on the trail, telling them to meet you there saturday at 9 AM certainly will. All I'm saying is unmarked, potentially questionable trails+convoy truckloads of downhillers=shut down trails.

I'm glad you enjoy the trails, and I'm glad they were shown to you, just as they were to me, but there's a difference between taking a friend out for a tour and posting an open invitation to anyone with internet access.

After all, a year ago, anyone with a ranger's district map could legally find and shuttle Perry Cove, but it wasn't until word got out on the internet that it started getting the amount of traffic that got it shut down. I regret anything I ever posted about shuttling in pisgah...I'd love to meet up with big groups to run shuttles, but in some areas it's just not the best idea.

I'm glad everyone is having a good time up there, and I hope it stays that way, but if things turn sour I won't be totally surprised.