Quantcast

Science bitch slaps the Low Carb industry, Atkins officials in denial.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Breaking news!! A well-balanced diet with lots of exercise and a few drinks now and then is the path to health and happiness!!! You heard it here first!!! Now how do I get paid for that? :D

And I will reiterate what I said. I said a diet must include ALL food groups. I am totally opposed to any diet as stated above that consists of any one food source regardless of it consisting of protein or carb as well as single food diets as I also stated above using the grapefruit diet as my example.
As mommie and daddie always said: "too much of anything isn't good for you"

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Toshi said:
actually there is some basis. a meal of all protein is more satiating than carbs. glucagon and insulin rise and fall at different rates depending on the composition of your meal...
yes, but the more drastic low carb diet, kinda introduces a high protein diet in exchange..

an unmonitored 70% or 80% protein (based on calorie count) diet without regular exercise, lots of water and a healthy set of kidneys to begin with is stepping into the potentially unhealthy...

and that risk is higher than just dropping off 200 calories from your daily intake of doritos, candy, dessert or something trivial like that....

I'm 43 and that is me in the photo in the avi. I get pysicals once a year and blood tests 3 times a year and my liver counts etc are exceptional. I have been on the high protein diet before it became fashionable. My ratio is 60% protein 30%carb 10% fat (approx). I do agree that 80% or higher in protein is too much.
The easiest formula to figure out how much protein is right for you is 1 to 1 1/2 grams per pound of bodyweight (1 being if your not as athletic) and the rest Carbs and don't forget the 10%fat.)

ALEXIS_DH said:
yes, but the more drastic low carb diet, kinda introduces a high protein diet in exchange..

an unmonitored 70% or 80% protein (based on calorie count) diet without regular exercise, lots of water and a healthy set of kidneys to begin with is stepping into the potentially unhealthy...

and that risk is higher than just dropping off 200 calories from your daily intake of doritos, candy, dessert or something trivial like that....

Dropping 200 cals of crap eating from your diet is much clearer then your 1st post. I do agree with this. In doing so the term is called eating cleanly. BUT if like I touched on before, if someone already eats clean, cutting 200 calories might not be the best method but rather altering their carb intake. Maybe the majority of their calories are eating pasta 3 times a week and one day of a veggie pizza! That stuff falls into the category of clean eating yet it kills you in the carb dept. Way too much!!!

One other related note regarding my 3 times a week eating pasta. Every meal should include carbs and protein. A dinner should not soely consist of full plate of pasta and a side salad. Then maybe carrots for a snack later before bed. Sure that sounds healthy doesn't it? NO icecream no chips but also, No protein and that is not optimal. The dinner should have included some sort of protein. If you don't like lean ground beef meatballs for example you should at least drink a protein shake. I for one don't get meatballs everytime we have pasta at home so I drink a shake with it at dinner and add Tuna to my salad. Simple fix to a carb meal.

I'm not bragging by no means but when it comes to diet, I think I have a pretty good grasp of it by now. I've been involved in bodybuilding since I was 17 and that was a looong time ago. I cut calories prior to the summer and am currently below 10% BF which I do not maintain all year long but only seasonal. This can not and has never been accomplished on a high carb diet. Period. Protein must outweigh your carb intake even if your not training for the Mr Olympia contest (which I'm not just making a point).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
firestorm said:
Just realized something here BV. For a lame old thread, it's getting quite a bit of attention on a Saturday. hahaha Sorry bro had to go there. Sorry.
Um, 12 of the 18 posts have been your own... it doesn't count if you're the one giving attention ;)

:D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nutritional science does not back up what you say. Most Americans eat too much protein. Also pools of amino acids (building blocks of protein) last for several days in the body which means don’t have to balance their intake that often.

On average most adults eat 75g protein a day. The average person requires about 30g. What happens to the excess - it is converted to glucose... There is no solid scientific evidence that eating more protein than the recommended requirements results in more body muscle mass. The only scientifically proven way to increase muscle mass is EXERCISE.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
syadasti said:
Nutritional science does not back up what you say. Most Americans eat too much protein. Also pools of amino acids (building blocks of protein) last for several days in the body which means don’t have to balance their intake that often.

On average most adults eat 75g protein a day. The average person requires about 30g. What happens to the excess - it is converted to glucose... There is no solid scientific evidence that eating more protein than the recommended requirements results in more body muscle mass. The only scientifically proven way to increase muscle mass is EXERCISE.
citations please. don't eat enough protein, whether you exercise a lot or a little (but especially if a lot!) ==> you become catabolic.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
firestorm said:
I've been involved in bodybuilding since I was 17 and that was a looong time ago.
so now we know the cumulative effects on the ol' noggin of 25 years of 'roid rage...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
citations please. don't eat enough protein, whether you exercise a lot or a little (but especially if a lot!) ==> you become catabolic.
Average US intake 75g, daily recommended 30g, so that ain't going to happen :nope:

syadasti said:

You absolutely need to excercise to build muscle but without feeding the muscle it will not grow and everyone knows that protein is what feeds the muscle. And that is scientifically proven. Carbohydrates provide Energy. So I also have to agree that too much protein will make one catabolic along with other negative side effects. Again I say that too much of anything isn't good for you. The amount of protein one eats should be determined by how physical you are. I would love to read this article where you read that 75gms of protein is too much. Not doubting you but would like to read it. Link me please.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
firestorm said:
. I would love to read this article where you read that 75gms of protein is too much. Not doubting you but would like to read it. Link me please.
I heard it from Dr. Levitsky, a well respected professor of Nutritional Sciences and Psychology at Cornell University. He usually has good summaries of the body of studies but I took the course many years ago, so I'm not going provide any article for this old thread on the Internet...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you are going to have a baby, 71g/day is RDA(just looked it up). Are you having a big baby :)

My memory was off, RDA is a little higher (nevertheless real need is almost always lower than RDA) and Americans on average eat much more protein than the RDA even. This sounds fair from what I remember:

Protein Needs
Protein Needs - US Guidelines on Protein and Diet

The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of protein according to U.S. government standards is 0.8 gram per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of ideal body weight for the adult. This protein RDA is said to meet 97.5% of the population's needs.
Protein Needs - Protein RDA is Higher Than Average Need

The US RDA for protein in our daily diet is high, to cover most person's needs. For example, the average requirement for dietary protein is 0.6 grams per kilogram [2.2 pounds] of ideal body weight, while the protein RDA is 0.8 grams per kilogram of ideal body weight. So the protein RDA has a wide built-in safety margin.
Adult Male Protein Needs

An adult male who should weigh about 154 pounds, or 70 kilograms, requires about 56 grams of protein daily.
Adult Female Protein Needs

An adult female whose best weight is 110 pounds, or 50 kilograms, needs about 40 grams a day.
Protein Needs for Other People

The RDA increases by 30 grams per day during pregnancy and 20 grams per day during lactation. During growth, different amounts are needed. For example, 2.2 grams of protein are needed per kilogram of body weight each day in the first six months of life, and 2.0 grams per kilogram for the next six months.

Table 1. Protein RDAs
Age Protein RDA*
0-6 months 2.2
6-12 months 2.0
1-3 years 1.8
4-6 years 1.5
7-10 years 1.2
11-14 years 1.0
15-18 years 0.9
19 + years 0.8

[* per kilo of body weight]
Protein Needs for Muscle/BodyBuilders

Excess protein does NOT build muscle bulk and strength - exercise does.

For example, suppose you want to make your upper body bigger and increase your upper body strength. (a) Go to your local health food store and you'll be told to increase your protein intake by eating protein shakes at each meal. (b) Then go to a sports doctor and sports dietitian. They'll tell you to eat a moderate amount of protein and swim three times a week plus do upper body weights three times a week. (c) Which advice do you believe?

Sources include:

US Dept of Agriculture
UK Dept of Health
Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
syadasti said:
Average US intake 75g, daily recommended 30g, so that ain't going to happen :nope:
please note that your own post a little later stated that the RDA is 0.7 g protein/kg mass. 70 kg male, 56 g protein recommended. not 30.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would eat more veggies if they were made out of red meat. Until science can do something about that, I'll stay away from it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toshi said:
please note that your own post a little later stated that the RDA is 0.7 g protein/kg mass. 70 kg male, 56 g protein recommended. not 30.
I never said .7 anywhere and I already noted this before a few post up :confused: The information I quoted also said .6 is dietary requirement and .8 is RDA. The important takeaway is that US diet already contains too much protein (much higher than RDA which fits 97.5% population) and you definately don't need to add more even if you are a body builder.

syadasti said:
My memory was off, RDA is a little higher (nevertheless real need is almost always lower than RDA) and Americans on average eat much more protein than the RDA even. This sounds fair from what I remember:

The RDA is base line and does not take into account activity levels. Same as the federal body weight chart. Anyone that works out especially in the fitness areas require more protein then the average american coutch potato.
The following is the recommended bodyweight for someone my age. 5'11" small frame141-151 Medium frame 147-163 Large frame 157 - 177.
I'd look like pee wee herman at 147 pounds. I'm currently 220 and as stated before am currently at 10% bodyfat. So does this mean I need to go on a diet???
Those are your government charts for you. If you ever took any Physical Trainer courses you would understand what I"m trying to tell you. Active people do not fall under these tables and charts. Plain and simple. This is a mountain bike site and road bike site. If you are here you probably ride so the base percentages are not for you. YOu require more fuel then your fat lazy ass neighbor who's only excercise is opening a Budweiser and cutting his little patch of weeds in his front yard once a week for 15 minutes.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
firestorm said:
The RDA is base line and does not take into account activity levels. Same as the federal body weight chart. Anyone that works out especially in the fitness areas require more protein then the average american coutch potato.
The following is the recommended bodyweight for someone my age. 5'11" small frame141-151 Medium frame 147-163 Large frame 157 - 177.
I'd look like pee wee herman at 147 pounds. I'm currently 220 and as stated before am currently at 10% bodyfat. So does this mean I need to go on a diet???
Those are your government charts for you. If you ever took any Physical Trainer courses you would understand what I"m trying to tell you. Active people do not fall under these tables and charts. Plain and simple. This is a mountain bike site and road bike site. If you are here you probably ride so the base percentages are not for you. YOu require more fuel then your fat lazy ass neighbor who's only excercise is opening a Budweiser and cutting his little patch of weeds in his front yard once a week for 15 minutes.
hey, i´ve got an honest question.
how much weight (lean mass) can you gain without steroids, and whats a good realistic lean mass lb/per month natural increase?
say starting at 160lbs 5´9´ 14% body fat.

i´ve asked the instructors at my gym, but everybody swears they are natural...
they are humongous bodybuilders with no fat and paper thin skin, yet when any question has the word "steroids" on it, they react as if they have never heard the term...:rofl:

ALEXIS_DH said:
hey, i´ve got an honest question.
how much weight (lean mass) can you gain without steroids, and whats a good realistic lean mass lb/per month natural increase?
say starting at 160lbs 5´9´ 14% body fat.

i´ve asked the instructors at my gym, but everybody swears they are natural...
they are humongous bodybuilders with no fat and paper thin skin, yet when any question has the word "steroids" on it, they react as if they have never heard the term...:rofl:
That is typical of them. Me I don't lie. I did steroids in the 80's. Quit in 1989 prior to marrying a nurse so it was that or her. I chose her. the Question you asked is difficult to answer because so many factors come into play. Making some assumptions at my end such as your willing to train hard, eat correctly, and your not a hard gainer I think it is safe to say that you could count on 1/2 to 1 pound a month for the 1st 1 to 3 months. Then you will see gains slow down a bit which is normal. If you keep your workouts fresh and change it frequently your gains can continue to come quicker then if you keep things always the same. At 14% Bodyfat that isn't that bad so I wouldn't concern myself with that at this time. Work on size for now and as this spring comes you begin adding cardio to your workouts.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
RDA is acceptable for 97.5% of the population AT THEIR IDEAL weight - that means a healthy individual who includes some normal exercise and eating a proper diet which is certainly not an average American lifestyle.

As I quoted above at ideal weight .6 is ok and the rest is a safety margin in the RDA. Nutritional requirements increase as you exercise, but for protein, not as much as to vary much from what average americans are already eating (75 to as high as 120g reported as average ranges - up to double RDA). Hell if you are having a baby, you probably don't need to change your diet if you eat like an average American!

Also, how many professional cyclists do you see bulked up like body builders, its not the same type of athletic skill :rolleyes:

Here is some sound advice:

dietitian.com said:
The RDA for protein for adult males is 63 grams per day. Athletes can maintain protein equilibrium (muscle building equals muscle breakdown) on 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. So take your weight, divide by 2.2 then multiply by 1. In fact most persons can achieve protein equilibrium (positive nitrogen balance) at 0.6 to 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram per day.

According to Dr. Carol Meredith at the University of California at Davis, muscle protein synthesis decreases during exercise and nearly doubles during recovery. Research she has shows that additional protein (studies of 1.35 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day) does not increase muscle mass or strength. In addition resistance exercise like weight lifting is a powerful anabolic (building) process that improves protein synthesis (increased muscle mass).

In fact what athletes need is increased caloric intake (60 calories per kilogram of body weight per day) which may contain protein food sources as well. One inherent problem with increasing protein from food sources, is you are probably also increasing fat content.

Body builder's protein losses are through sweat, urine and feces, the majority of which is not protein. When muscle is broken down during weight training, it frees amino acids into the blood which can then be recycled within the body...

There is lots of nutrition hype, most untrue in weight lifting and bodybuilding. While at the University of Minnesota, Duluth, I taught sports nutrition for several years, worked with college athletes, Olympic athletes and yes-competitive body builders. If you want nutrition expertise, ask a Registered Dietitian...

If you would like to read some good sports nutrition texts, try "The Athlete's Kitchen" by Nancy Clark MS RD or "Sports Nutrition" by Dan Benardot Ph.D., RD. Sports nutrition for children, try "Play Hard Eat Right" by Debbi Sowell Jennings MS RD and Suzanne Nelson Steen D.Sc. RD.

Even the national association of sport nutrition (centered around certification not pure science):

The recommended NASN intake for endurance athletes is about 1.2-1.4 gm of protein/kg/day or 150-175% of the RDA. Strength athletes need about 1.6-1.7 gm of protein/kg/day or 200-212% of the RDA. The NASN’s recommendation to consume 1.2-1.7 gm of protein/kg/day assumes that the athlete is consuming sufficient calories to support this approach. (NARN, 2005)
Those are NASN guidelines for competitive athletes. I don't doubt there are some on RM, but the average bike enthusiast isn't a top level athlete. Either way you probably don't need more protein then you are already getting unless you diet is abnormal to that of the average US diet.

The recommended NASN intake for endurance athletes is about 1.2-1.4 gm of protein/PER POUND/day or 150-175% of the RDA. Strength athletes need about 1.6-1.7 gm of protein/PER POUND/day or 200-212% of the RDA. The NASN’s recommendation to consume 1.2-1.7 gm of protein/PER POUND/day assumes that the athlete is consuming sufficient calories to support this approach. (NARN, 2005)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
firestorm said:
The recommended NASN intake for endurance athletes is about 1.2-1.4 gm of protein/PER POUND/day or 150-175% of the RDA. Strength athletes need about 1.6-1.7 gm of protein/PER POUND/day or 200-212% of the RDA. The NASN’s recommendation to consume 1.2-1.7 gm of protein/PER POUND/day assumes that the athlete is consuming sufficient calories to support this approach. (NARN, 2005)
Math isn't your strong suit I guess, RDA is .8/kg, so you are way off :rofl: Your kidneys are hating you for not understanding metric (don't worry, nasa did the same thing with the Mars Climate Orbiter)...

And Toshi was right... :D

so now we know the cumulative effects on the ol' noggin of 25 years of 'roid rage...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This is the Internet newb, get use to it. I'm not being that serious :rolleyes:

The extent of most nutrition discussions on my rides are:

Do you want to stop for a energy break or should we keep going?

Or

Look at those edible plants munch, munch, munch (I eat some blackberries, brambles, wineberries, blueberries, garlic mustard, rosehips, field garlic, or whatever else I find) - do you want some - seriously you can eat them, no, oh ok :wonky2:

syadasti said:
This is the Internet newb, get use to it. I'm not being that serious :rolleyes:

The extent of most nutrition discussions on my rides are:

Do you want to stop for a energy break or should we keep going?

Or

Look at those edible plants munch, munch, munch (I eat some blackberries, brambles, wineberries, blueberries, garlic mustard, rosehips, field garlic, or whatever else I find) - do you want some - seriously you can eat them, no, oh ok :wonky2:
I'm hardly a newbe to message boards I just don't post much here. I am baboon knows me and how long I've been around. I've known him for years over at a bodybuilding forum. As for it being the internet, I don't care if it's internet, in person or written on a peice of paper. I expect the same respect given to me as I give to others. If you can't keep it civil when talking or debating something with me then it ends. I have little tollerence for guys that begin to flex cybermuscle with me. I will catch it early, tell them what im telling you and if it persists I end converations with that person immediately. You were making some very good points with facts to back them up and then you went and started the rolling of the eyes etc stuff and worse off the steroid crap which I totally despise because it is just pure ignorance. Just not necessary.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
firestorm said:
25 years of roid rage? Are you accusing me of something bud? I haven't seen any rages by me nor INSULTS. they are only coming from your fuqing mouth.
uh:

a) you're in a rage in many of your posts
b) you just admitted about 3 posts up that you did steroids up through the late 80s.

qed.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Toshi said:
uh:

a) you're in a rage in many of your posts
b) you just admitted about 3 posts up that you did steroids up through the late 80s.

qed.
He's not really been "ragin'" per se... maybe a bit adamant but not ragin. Now Knuckleslammer, he was ragin.

And I am seriously bummed that no one thought my Jack Lalanne post was funny. The guy is in his 90's and looks great! Go Jack!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Everything in moderation. Why don't people understand that if they eat a bit of everything and get off their asses they'll lose weight in a good manner, and be healthier? Starving yourself of essential nutrients may knock off a few pounds but it sure as hell isn't healthy.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Bicyclist said:
Everything in moderation. Why don't people understand that if they eat a bit of everything and get off their asses they'll lose weight in a good manner, and be healthier? Starving yourself of essential nutrients may knock off a few pounds but it sure as hell isn't healthy.
People don't want to be healthy. They want to be skinny.

"People don't want to get in shape, they want to BE in shape."

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
syadasti said:
I heard it from Dr. Levitsky, a well respected professor of Nutritional Sciences and Psychology at Cornell University. He usually has good summaries of the body of studies but I took the course many years ago, so I'm not going provide any article for this old thread on the Internet...
Ha, I saw Dave speak at meeting this past week.