Quantcast

Sea Otter Live thread

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Front looks like a Clutch. Same setup I was running for the race yesterday. Clutch up front, Chunder out back. Perfect combo for this course.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
who's cam is it? i know of a few HD helmet cams in the works, but which one were you using?

Not intentionally trying to sound like an elitist/cool guy, but the dude did not want us to say anything about it. I think they are a few weeks from announcing all the details...but price, size and video quality is off the charts.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
go ooon.....
hmm did i say that? :brows:

Not intentionally trying to sound like an elitist/cool guy, but the dude did not want us to say anything about it. I think they are a few weeks from announcing all the details...but price, size and video quality is off the charts.
no worries. theres only a few out there in the works that im aware of and some were shown at PMA.
we toyed with the idea of a POV type cam, but scraped it for a few other great cam designs instead....and after we split technology sharing w/ Pana.

Last edited:

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Our Sea Otter updates are complete. Four videos, including Dual Stunt, and photos and article. Here.

Also, Props to the work that Pat did. Check out his thread in this forum on RM.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
They are already shipping. I am supposed to have one to try out before i leave for France on the 4th. So far the footage looks great, the only downside being you only get about 30min of footage per card in HD mode.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Only the sony isn't shipping yet. :) That, and it will still only do 720p and require a backpack/pocket for the recorder.
who said it was shipping?

doesn't mean there aren't any out there :pirate2:

might require a pack or pocket - but being able to set the right angle of the camera with your helmet still on and from the cockpit is priceless. Especially if you're trying to take some helmet cam footy on solo rides.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
who said it was shipping?

doesn't mean there aren't any out there :pirate2:

might require a pack or pocket - but being able to set the right angle of the camera with your helmet still on and from the cockpit is priceless. Especially if you're trying to take some helmet cam footy on solo rides.
Very true, but the price on the sony unit I saw quoted was around $1500, a far cry from the $300 Vholdr! Although quality wise...I would be the sony would be better.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Very true, but the price on the sony unit I saw quoted was around $1500, a far cry from the $300 Vholdr! Although quality wise...I would be the sony would be better.
actually they are closer to 3k... a bit overboard if you ask me. Plus it uses those dumb Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo (sorry I personally hate those)

definitely makes you conscious when you ride - crashing on your head would suck major balls (for both you and the head unit)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
actually they are closer to 3k... a bit overboard if you ask me. Plus it uses those dumb Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo (sorry I personally hate those)

definitely makes you conscious when you ride - crashing on your head would suck major balls...
Ah, I saw the quote about 3 months ago, maybe it was just the recorder unit and not the camera head etc?

Either way, ridiculous. And memory stick duo? ew?

I'll stick to $130 Go Pros and $300 Vholdr HDs for now! I am looking forward to trying it out on the Monster guys at La Bresse...I will make sure to add the requisite euro dance music.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
They are already shipping. I am supposed to have one to try out before i leave for France on the 4th. So far the footage looks great, the only downside being you only get about 30min of footage per card in HD mode.
30 mins?
so that should be enough for you to get one run of yourself?

(is there a rimshot smiley in here?)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Interesting. According to their site at least it can take up to a 16GB card.

http://vholdr.com/contourhd/features
Whoa, that is interesting for sure. The guy who dropped buy the booth at Otter said no SDHC, maybe that was the firmware on the demo unit and not the production ones?

Go Pro just sent me updates firmware to do SDHC as well as better auto exposure, so probably same idea.