Quantcast

Service Dogs, Medical Marijuana, and other overused security blankets

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Internet product reviews - Whatever you bought didn't come with unicorn anal... The good nor bad kind. You either want validation or you need to vent. Nobody reads past the star-count. You aren't helping anyone.
It's worse than that, I thought you hated fake lawns?

Since people are lazy and just look at the artificial ratings:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But here is a big difference.

Say beer was outlawed like weed was (again). Then some science dude proves beer reduces risk of cancer and the state you live in says there is a clinic you can pay $250 and they give you a card for beer. You don't think "medical beer" stores would pop up everywhere and people who had little risk of getting and no family history of cancer was suddenly beer card carrying citizens? :clue:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Say beer was outlawed like weed was (again). Then some science dude proves beer reduces risk of cancer and the state you live in says there is a clinic you can pay $250 and they give you a card for beer. You don't think "medical beer" stores would pop up everywhere and people who had little risk of getting and no family history of cancer was suddenly beer card carrying citizens? :clue:
Mmmm... beer.... :drool:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

Sure it would happen and it would be the exact same bullshit pretense. There'd be the same zealots claiming it a cure-all, and drunks would tell you how they just need a few sips every now and again throughout the day to level them out.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sure it would happen and it would be the exact same bullshit pretense. There'd be the same zealots claiming it a cure-all, and drunks would tell you how they just need a few sips every now and again throughout the day to level them out.
If you are only drinking about 12 beers throughout the day, I don't see the issue. :rofl:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
when I moved to CO I met a guy who has a medical card. reason? he has stress.
the medical angle is largely a joke (with obvious valid cases) and many people exploit it to save on paying higher dope taxes.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Cool story bro: Last night after work I stopped at the grocery store to grab some food stuff. Found a Porsche Panamera Turbo S parked in a handicapped spot. Girls getting out of it were clearly either a lil wacko or on some drugz. They were hootin' and hollarin' throughout the store and almost dinged me in the nuts with their shopping cart at one point.

Oh and they were from Pennsylvania.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
is this the get off my lawn thread?
good.
if you're in the left lane and not passing anyone, get the fuck over.
and if you flick your cigarette out your window, hell yeah i'm going to bright you and flip you off.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
is this the get off my lawn thread?
good.
if you're in the left lane and not passing anyone, get the fuck over.
and if you flick your cigarette out your window, hell yeah i'm going to bright you and flip you off.
i'd say the left lane once had a good reason to exist. yeah, you use it for passing, not unlike a GMT. now, it is just another cruising lane. admittedly, i've done high speed cruising in it, but if i see you coming up on my six, my blinker goes and i zig right. however, in LA traffic, the left gets as clogged as anything else on the multi-lane parking lot.

i'll even thrown the HOV lane under the bus. it used to be for carpooling. then people started loading blow-up dolls into their passenger seats to skirt the law. now, in much of LA, you have to pay for the privilege of driving in that special lane, regardless of cabeza count in your Corolla. of course you have to get airlifted into it to get through the horde, and it is still only moving 5mph over being in the prole-position.

...how about personal hydration devices? it seems everyone is carrying a bottle of water everywhere they go. sure, humans get thirsty, but how hydrated do you need to be? i'm a slave to being near a porcelain receptacle, courtesy of my neurological impairment, however, voluntary enslavement strikes me as odd. it isn't hard to figure out that what goes in is probably coming back out. so are you really drinking the contents of your biodegradable, antimicrobial, fashion tote that matches the paint on your Prius, or do you just like to carry things that make it look like you are up to something? i'm not sure what Lewis and Clark dragged across the country to keep from turning into leathery prunes, but i'd bet it wasn't the amount of fluid you take on a trip to Target, in case you get lost in Housewares looking at brushed silver picture frames.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My old man gripe: hikers wearing earbuds. "On your left! ON YOUR LEFT! Ah, screw it <passes in silence>"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dog owners who treat any open space or trail as an off-leash dog park. Control your animals, idiots.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Dog owners who treat any open space or trail as an off-leash dog park. Control your animals, idiots.
My favorite is when they have their dog off a leash and tell me how friendly it is. That is great. My dog who is on his leash is a 10lb prick. Please leash yours so we don't have dog wars. No one likes dog wars.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
...how about personal hydration devices? it seems everyone is carrying a bottle of water everywhere they go. sure, humans get thirsty, but how hydrated do you need to be? i'm a slave to being near a porcelain receptacle, courtesy of my neurological impairment, however, voluntary enslavement strikes me as odd. it isn't hard to figure out that what goes in is probably coming back out. so are you really drinking the contents of your biodegradable, antimicrobial, fashion tote that matches the paint on your Prius, or do you just like to carry things that make it look like you are up to something? i'm not sure what Lewis and Clark dragged across the country to keep from turning into leathery prunes, but i'd bet it wasn't the amount of fluid you take on a trip to Target, in case you get lost in Housewares looking at brushed silver picture frames.
There was a gal in the Navy that ran the 1.5 mile PT test with a Camelbak to stay hydrated on the run. :rofl:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Rewards club and membership cards. This has been stand-up fodder for years. You're selling something I need and use on a regular basis. I don't want to carry a card that entitles me to pay the market price for that product. A card which any cashier will produce from behind the counter and scan for a customer who forgets his/hers. I don't need text reminders to buy toilet paper because it's on sale. Chances are, I'm gonna buy it when I'm out of it. Stop slowing down lines by asking me to scan a card or punch in a phone number or email address.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My old man gripe: hikers wearing earbuds. "On your left! ON YOUR LEFT! Ah, screw it <passes in silence>"
Then they proceed to act overly surprised and offended after snapping back from la-la land.

My favorite is when they have their dog off a leash and tell me how friendly it is. That is great. My dog who is on his leash is a 10lb prick. Please leash yours so we don't have dog wars. No one likes dog wars.
My co-worker had an 80lb rottie mix that was chill with people but did not like other dogs. He said he had a few instances where he would be out walking his dog and have that same situation happen while yelling at them 'Mine's Not!' and proceed to watch as his dog would take down the other dog as he's pulling on the leash...

not really my problem. if that person and i are walking in opposite directions on the sidewalk and his dog(s) attack mine just because we are walking past one another, that dog shouldn't be in public...

of course that blame goes solely on the idiot owner. i could easily take the most aggressive dog and train that right out of them in no time...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
...how about personal hydration devices? it seems everyone is carrying a bottle of water everywhere they go. sure, humans get thirsty, but how hydrated do you need to be?
Drinking a good deal of water helps prevent you from getting fat (and cramming other stuff down your throat to make up for it). Also, most of the shit that is liquid and not water is pretty bad for you. I think staying hydrated with water is very good and more people should do it (rather than drinking coffee, soda, not drinking water and cramming other stuff down their throat, etc.). I do too much active stuff to not do this anyway, ride twice a day much of the time, or do a ride and work out, etc.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Drinking a good deal of water helps prevent you from getting fat (and cramming other stuff down your throat to make up for it). Also, most of the shit that is liquid and not water is pretty bad for you. I think staying hydrated with water is very good and more people should do it (rather than drinking coffee, soda, not drinking water and cramming other stuff down their throat, etc.). I do too much active stuff to not do this anyway, ride twice a day much of the time, or do a ride and work out, etc.

Fair enough. The point of the thread isn't that people doing these things shouldn't be doing them at all. The point is that the doing has passed the point that seems reasonable to me, and now things are just getting silly. You aren't me, so YMMV.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
image.jpeg

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My co-worker had an 80lb rottie mix that was chill with people but did not like other dogs. He said he had a few instances where he would be out walking his dog and have that same situation happen while yelling at them 'Mine's Not!' and proceed to watch as his dog would take down the other dog as he's pulling on the leash...
I experience this fairly regularly. I especially enjoy it when I'm walking the dogs in places that are specifically signed telling people to leash their dogs, and I'm inevitably the only mother fucker on the trail whose dogs are leashed. 110% of the time these other owners will call and call and call and the unleashed dog is under zero control/command. My dogs are on a leash for a reason, and if your (obviously) uncontrollable animal gets into a fight with mine, you're going to be paying my vet bills.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
That was my point. Is that if a dog is on a leash, he doesn't have to be friendly. My buddy knew his dog didn't like other dogs and did everything he could to minimize interactions, but still needed to exercise him. He would avoid people on the sidewalk or other areas when people were walking dogs, but you can't control when an off leash dog comes up to your dog.

The dog people that are annoying are the ones that think everyone is a dog person and that just because their dog is friendly it makes everything ok.

My biggest gripe is usually with little dog people since their dogs usually have little to no manners or training.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The dog people that are annoying are the ones that think everyone is a dog person and that just because their dog is friendly it makes everything ok.

My biggest gripe is usually with little dog people since their dogs usually have little to no manners or training.
Yea. Obviously, I'm a dog person, which is how I wind up with these dogs that are abused/neglected/have issues/or are just plain retarded, but that also doesn't mean I want to deal with every dickhead I meet on the green way and their ill mannered, asshole dog.

One of my daughters little friends on the street is terrified of dogs. Like he has a genuine phobia of large, strange dogs. It doesn't mater how "friendly" your shitheel mutt is, this kid doesn't want your dog in his face. I suspect there is any other number of people who for whatever reason don't want to deal with some strangers dog.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My pup be is friendly with other dogs but he is protective of me. Your off leash dog comes toward us and is chill, he returns the chill. That dog presents any negative energy and Cosmo will return sthat negativity with an explosively high rate of return. I am OK with that, but I am sure westcoasthucker could fix that.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I gave up on my Garden. Others have taken my place. In my absence it has become the green oasis of my neighborhood. I did some weeding today and the neighbor asked me what I was doing? I had to her explain that I owned her garden. Her dog loves me...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
not really my problem. if that person and i are walking in opposite directions on the sidewalk and his dog(s) attack mine just because we are walking past one another, that dog shouldn't be in public...

of course that blame goes solely on the idiot owner. i could easily take the most aggressive dog and train that right out of them in no time...
new custom title-WestCoastDogWhisperer?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Goddamn! I log in on a whim to check things out and see how The Monkey is doing and you fvckers all went and got old on me. You all are making JBP look like a liberal millenial with your codgering.

Imma go back to my hole now.