Quantcast

Should I join the Navy SEALs?

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
I went in the Navy to become a SEAL and got the crud in basic. Couldnt try out for bud/s and voluntered for the Presidential Honor Guard. Spent my first two years in D.C. twirling rifles and doing funerals up the wazoo. It was really neat, then became a SeaBee, then got a medical discharge and now i get a retirement after 3 1/2 years of service.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

There has been much wisdom already said about this topic - I agree with most of it.

"I think i'd rather be calling the shots then performing them" - being in the military, particularly when you are involved in any form of Special Ops is ALL ABOUT following orders.

To the letter. Without hesitation.

Or you will be gone.

When you play a game with stakes that are that high, those who do not have the discipline to follow orders will be weeded out of the program at the earliest possiblity.

As for being a leader from the get go, you must first become an officer, a long and drawn out process to begin with. Once that hurdle has been overcome and you are now a "leader of men" you will be sent to a unit NOT of your choosing and will become the Officer in Charge of every piddly duty that your chain of command can think of. It will be a long time before you are in charge of anything other than assuring that the Motor Pool has been properly policed or making sure that the inventory of the CONEXes has been done at least once a week.

Schools like SEAL, Ranger, Special Forces, Parajumpers, et al are only available after you have been in a certian period of time (despite whatever your recruiter may tell you) and are limited to particular jobs - for example, a 2LT from Finance will not be allowed to apply for R.I.P. as the Rangers are limited only to Combat Arms MOS's. Being allowed to attend one of these schools is not to say that you will become a member in that organization - most of the high-speed schools have a minimum of 60-75% dropout rate.

Go into the military with the thought in mind that you will have a unique opportunity to serve your country, not that you will be turned into some supersoldier with millions of dollars of high-tech equipment at your disposal to do whatever you would like.

Ranger

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Problem with iscoceles is that it doesn't simulate natural movement. I've been told by some coaches that it's meant to simulate your natural response...face the threat, feet apart, but you're 1) likely to be moving in any shooting situation and 2) should be moving, unless you're behind cover.

So weaver or 'iscoce-weaver' (facing target, body armor to the front, iscoceles arm position, one leg behind the other in a natural walking stride) is a lot more natural.

I use a modified iscoceles stance much like the one you describe. I like it.