Quantcast

Should I sell my DH bike?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
....two weeks later the only halfway decent DH hill within a 5-6 hour drive announced they won't be opening for 2020.
You keep rubbing that in.
Got the Avy cartridge back, so am thinking about a mid-week trip to Horseshoe. A little test and tune. I got it back, so have to ride it.
Figure that would beat most of the line-ups.
Been looking at a few vids, and they have changed things up quite a bit on the old side. A couple of the trails look like they got a nice re-work.
Still a lot of driving for sub 2 minute runs.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You keep rubbing that in.
Got the Avy cartridge back, so am thinking about a mid-week trip to Horseshoe. A little test and tune. I got it back, so have to ride it.
Figure that would beat most of the line-ups.
Been looking at a few vids, and they have changed things up quite a bit on the old side. A couple of the trails look like they got a nice re-work.
Still a lot of driving for sub 2 minute runs.
Let me know if you come up, I can try to take a morning or afternoon off. Lots of rad trail bike stuff across the street too...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
- better drivetrain
It's rarely "better" but pretty much always far more expensive in running costs. 10 and 11speed shimano is where I'd be looking if I was worried about money.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Well, I think you should try to sell it. Edit: if you get more then 1.000€.
And hot from the press:
https://www.yt-industries.com/en/detail/index/sArticle/2509/sCategory/92

YT Capra Shred 29", full aluminium, 3.500€.
That's a 16kg enduro bike. Essentially I'd be getting a bike that weighs 300g less than my dh bike, with worse geo, for going down and still not the best seat angle.

I seriously don't get how is that a deal? You can get a carbon radon for 3k E with not that much worse components and use 500E to get some better used stuff and the radon has better geo if you want a bike pretending to be a dh bike since you can slacken the HA to 63.5.

Right now I'm thinking of seeing what used stuff pops up in Sept. If nothing nice does it's probably Radon or Propain. Still unsure if I sell my dh bike, will decide after riding some more.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It's rarely "better" but pretty much always far more expensive in running costs. 10 and 11speed shimano is where I'd be looking if I was worried about money.
10 speed? I hate pedalling uphill but I really appreciate being in the right gear not having huge gear ratio jumps. I will prioritize geo, susp and brakes over drivetrain but If I can get something better in the drivetrain category I will.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
10 speed? I hate pedalling uphill but I really appreciate being in the right gear not having huge gear ratio jumps. I will prioritize geo, susp and brakes over drivetrain but If I can get something better in the drivetrain category I will.
Yeah.
That's why I said 10 and 11

I still do occasional fairly long rides with 3-4000ft of climbing on my Dartmoor 4X with a 36T ring and 9 speed 11-25 cassette. I'm not suggesting you do the same.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Sounds like you want to lighten your dh bike and put a 11 or 12 speed drive train, and have a set of lighter enduro wheels and a 180sc fork you can swap in

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Have you tried listing your bike anywhere? Put it up there with a high price, heck maybe someone will bite.

And then you can get a bike that will actually fit and you can enjoy riding Anything with it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
when there is no option of going down they are the only way to ride offroad fast in flat areas
Eh?
A light hardtail with fast rolling tyres isn't any slower. (but arguably more fun)
And derestricted Eeb quite a bit faster.

Where do you ride that there's no option of descending?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
If you have a nice used DH bike that's too small, and need to drive far to ride it. Look for a 27.5 bike that you can transfer the 26" stuff wheels and all t that fits. The bike will be a little lower. Then spend most of your money on a bike you can ride closer to home.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
With a hardtail you can do straight guy stuff with it too like jumps and drops.

I mean yoann can ride a gravel bike however he wants but I wouldn't recommend that

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Eh?
A light hardtail with fast rolling tyres isn't any slower. (but arguably more fun)
And derestricted Eeb quite a bit faster.

Where do you ride that there's no option of descending?
that’s all we get here, not worth riding to, i‘d rather leave the city and just enjoy the too boring for a mtb singletrack and gravel tracks in brandenburg

this area is as flat as a 7 year old, 70m of elevation is the maxium you can get around here

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
@norbar
A couple questions...

1). Do you think you will ride your dh bike more than 10 times in the next 3 years?

—>If yes: get a L (or maybe even XL) of the same Banshee frame to swap stuff over, and sell your M frame. Why? Figure 1200euro sale price. 100-150euro rental price for something good enough/comparable = 10ish day pay-back- period.

—> if no: sell it as is, and just lineup something quality to rent, taking the time to dial it in the night before riding, when you visit legit DH tracks and bikeparks.

2). Do you ride a few times a week on local trails?

—> if yes: optimize your bike for local riding, and either bring the DH bike or rent a DH/Endurbro bike on trips, if needed.

—> if no, but getting weekend trips more often than not, would say optimize for what those trips realistically look like, so you can ride locally, even if a bit over-biked, so you can bring something dialed and appropriate on the trips, and not have to fuss around with bike setup every time you travel.

—> if no, but going on trips more like once a month or less? why tie up your capital in a bike (depreciating asset) for the trips, and have to deal with the PITA of traveling with a bike too? Just have a fun bike for local trails, maybe swap parts from your Joker onto a new-to-you used frame, and rent the right bike for what you will be riding on each trip.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
70m of elevation is the maxium you can get around here
That's a shame. No woodland you can build trails in?
I've lived in similarly flat areas, but never anywhere more than half an hours drive to some decent sized hills/trails.
Over here you'll still generally find pretty decent trails even in the flatter areas. Where I've lived for the last 15yrs is surrounded by farmland, woodland and small villages where there's no more than 150m elevation . You certainly wouldn't want a DH bike here but there's over 40 miles of singletrack within a 4 mile radius. And personally I'd rather be on a playful hardtail than a gravel bike for all of it. Roads are quiet enough here that it makes proper roadriding a good option. I've ridden roadbikes almost all my life and never really seen the appeal of a gravel/CX bike over a roadbike or a hardtail.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
@norbar
A couple questions...

1). Do you think you will ride your dh bike more than 10 times in the next 3 years?

—>If yes: get a L (or maybe even XL) of the same Banshee frame to swap stuff over, and sell your M frame. Why? Figure 1200euro sale price. 100-150euro rental price for something good enough/comparable = 10ish day pay-back- period.

—> if no: sell it as is, and just lineup something quality to rent, taking the time to dial it in the night before riding, when you visit legit DH tracks and bikeparks.

—> if yes: optimize your bike for local riding, and either bring the DH bike or rent a DH/Endurbro bike on trips, if needed.

—> if no, but getting weekend trips more often than not, would say optimize for what those trips realistically look like, so you can ride locally, even if a bit over-biked, so you can bring something dialed and appropriate on the trips, and not have to fuss around with bike setup every time you travel.

—> if no, but going on trips more like once a month or less? why tie up your capital in a bike (depreciating asset) for the trips, and have to deal with the PITA of traveling with a bike too? Just have a fun bike for local trails, maybe swap parts from your Joker onto a new-to-you used frame, and rent the right bike for what you will be riding on each trip.
Logic

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
You've probably heard enough from others already but I thought I'd give you my opinion as I'm in one of the positions that you've laid out as an option - I own a 140mm trail bike (Devinci Troy) and a 26" DH bike (Evil Undead) which I raced consistently 2015-2018 but less so recently.

To keep it short, get a short travel trail bike and keep the downhill bike. You'll get bugger all for selling the downhill bike and having it there for days when you do trips to places with real tracks and a lift is a boon. There are only really a couple of places here in Scotland where you "need" a downhill bike - Fort William and Glencoe - and whilst people can happily ride down them on Endeuraux bikes, you won't have as much fun and you'll probably break a lot of parts.

If your DH bike is only a little too small for you, invest in some reach adjusting headset cups etc. If not then maybe think about a larger 26" frame. For the same reason that you'd get nothing if you sold yours, there's plenty of cheap ones floating about. As people have previously said, a downhill bike is designed with a very specific purpose in mind and they're bloody good at it, regardless of the wheel size. Anything that you buy that can climb comfortably is a compromise for the descents (some much more than others) relative to a DH bike.

On the "all-mountain" bike side of things, I love the fact that my Troy isn't a rock-munching chunder-mashing downhill machine. It makes me work on the descents a lot more but very rarely feels totally under-biked. It's a nice amount of travel, especially with a decent shock (cane creek inline coil).

Good luck!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
that’s all we get here, not worth riding to, i‘d rather leave the city and just enjoy the too boring for a mtb singletrack and gravel tracks in brandenburg

this area is as flat as a 7 year old, 70m of elevation is the maxium you can get around here
I feel your pain. There is a reason Berlin to Warsaw in 39 took a month ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Sounds like you want to lighten your dh bike and put a 11 or 12 speed drive train, and have a set of lighter enduro wheels and a 180sc fork you can swap in
LOL no. First of all my DH bike is very light for a DH bike. With enduro tires I can get it under 16kg with a DC fork. 15.7kg if I remember right. Also it doesn't have the geo to pedal uphill.

@norbar
A couple questions...

1. Trying to figure it out. My 3 year gap means the tracks have changed. Need to see if a DH bike is still worth it here.
2. I don't ride on local trails. My DJ bike is here for the local trails since it's flat like a pancake here. So I'm looking for a bike for trips anyway. For local riding I have a road bike and a dj bike.

You've probably heard enough from others already but I thought I'd give you my opinion as I'm in one of the positions that you've laid out as an option - I own a 140mm trail bike (Devinci Troy) and a 26" DH bike (Evil Undead) which I raced consistently 2015-2018 but less so recently.

To keep it short, get a short travel trail bike and keep the downhill bike. You'll get bugger all for selling the downhill bike and having it there for days when you do trips to places with real tracks and a lift is a boon. There are only really a couple of places here in Scotland where you "need" a downhill bike - Fort William and Glencoe - and whilst people can happily ride down them on Endeuraux bikes, you won't have as much fun and you'll probably break a lot of parts.

If your DH bike is only a little too small for you, invest in some reach adjusting headset cups etc. If not then maybe think about a larger 26" frame. For the same reason that you'd get nothing if you sold yours, there's plenty of cheap ones floating about. As people have previously said, a downhill bike is designed with a very specific purpose in mind and they're bloody good at it, regardless of the wheel size. Anything that you buy that can climb comfortably is a compromise for the descents (some much more than others) relative to a DH bike.

On the "all-mountain" bike side of things, I love the fact that my Troy isn't a rock-munching chunder-mashing downhill machine. It makes me work on the descents a lot more but very rarely feels totally under-biked. It's a nice amount of travel, especially with a decent shock (cane creek inline coil).

Good luck!
As for a 140mm trailbike - I have one I'm trying to sell it. A few years ago I wanted a new one but I found they are not as fun as full blown enduro bikes though I will be renting some bikes this year to get some perspective.

Right now I'm a bit split in what kind of riding do I want to do.Do I want to go to remote places like Madeira, La Palma, some locations in Africa, Bali, Taiwan where an enduro bike makes sense or will I again be going to bikeparks and be riding dh tracks.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Right now I'm a bit split in what kind of riding do I want to do.Do I want to go to remote places like Madeira, La Palma, some locations in Africa, Bali, Taiwan where an enduro bike makes sense or will I again be going to bikeparks and be riding dh tracks.
This thread is pretty comical. Getting the sense that everyone is being trolled.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
LOL no. First of all my DH bike is very light for a DH bike. With enduro tires I can get it under 16kg with a DC fork. 15.7kg if I remember right. Also it doesn't have the geo to pedal uphill.

1. Trying to figure it out. My 3 year gap means the tracks have changed. Need to see if a DH bike is still worth it here.
2. I don't ride on local trails. My DJ bike is here for the local trails since it's flat like a pancake here. So I'm looking for a bike for trips anyway. For local riding I have a road bike and a dj bike.

As for a 140mm trailbike - I have one I'm trying to sell it. A few years ago I wanted a new one but I found they are not as fun as full blown enduro bikes though I will be renting some bikes this year to get some perspective.

In times like these thinking a bit local might make more sense. ;)
You will probably riding bikeparks. Overseas - not so much I'd imagine.
Once again:
Keep your DH bike or get a bigger frame for it.
Get a second bike for other riding - as long you want to actually ride. Dreaming of riding bikes in cool places shouldn't be a trigger to buy expensive bicycles.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
Never seen the point of gravel bikes, I also like going down in a semi fast way.
Roadies have discovered that the vast majority of drivers on the road are assholes, and that there are better views and fewer drivers on gravel roads.

It's also being driven primarily by the North American market (lots and lots of gravel roads), which means the marketing blitz is going full bore. Euro-land product pushes tend to be more subdued.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Roadies have discovered that the vast majority of drivers on the road are assholes, and that there are better views and fewer drivers on gravel roads.

It's also being driven primarily by the North American market (lots and lots of gravel roads), which means the marketing blitz is going full bore. Euro-land product pushes tend to be more subdued.
Road bikes have gone so far in the direction of "road" that they literally can't be ridden on normal roads anymore. It's quite comical. I wouldn't say the roads are excessively screwed up, but roads aren't this idealistic homogenous surface that has no irregularities either, contrary to the design of road bikes.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Road bikes have gone so far in the direction of "road" that they literally can't be ridden on normal roads anymore. It's quite comical. I wouldn't say the roads are excessively screwed up, but roads aren't this idealistic homogenous surface that has no irregularities either, contrary to the design of road bikes.
but they are riding mostly25/28mm tires these days, those 23mm tires are mostly gone?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

A ton of people have gravel bikes here too. Not to mention Rondo bikes, a company owned by NS bikes people is very gravel focused. Though I have no beef with them since at least those bikes look amazing (thanks to a friend of mine who does graphic design for them and NS)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
In the 3 weeks since you started the thread, has anybody actually offered you any money for your 11 year old 26" DH bike?

I'd be surprised if anyone had... well... the amount forecasted anyway... and even more surprised if you turned that amount down.

The answer to my first question kinda answers your OP

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
In the 3 weeks since you started the thread, has anybody actually offered you any money for your 11 year old 26" DH bike?

I'd be surprised if anyone had... well... the amount forecasted anyway... and even more surprised if you turned that amount down.

The answer to my first question kinda answers your OP
I have not yet decided to sell it.