Quantcast

Site upgrade: questions/comments/complaints.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
I don't like site logo at browser's tab.
I don't like the fixed width so a widescreen display displays page only at 1/3 of its area.
Why thread titles are all the same and small and thread icon is so big? It all merges into one huge text. It was much better readable previously, I'd say.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
only complaint is how theres no forum selection at the bottom of the right hand side anymore,and wats up with this autosave **** poping up all the time ????? will there be a blackberry app ???? better.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Just a small request - can the URL monkey icon be restored? I have a shortcut to the forum in my browser just as an icon, and it's now a vB logo instead of the monkey.

I'm sure it was gonna happen eventually anyway but thought I'd mention it. Let me know if it's just a caching issues on my end, don't think it is though.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
imho the new icon images to the left of every thread and forum are way too large, taking up too much real estate. possibly this would be helpful for mobile, but I'm not browsing via mobile.

These could be 75% smaller and still give me the same amount of information. And I don't have wonderful eyesight.

forum_old-48.png

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I agree the page would be much easier to read if it was cleaned up a little including smaller icons. Also Do we really need dates and precise time for post and replies. New threads are on the top anyway and when you go into a thread you can see the time of post there too. Tried to remove date and numbers on the front page and I think it improve readability (not sure if that is a word in English)

Monkey.jpg

"Started by" could just say "by" If the thread is by somebody its obviously also started by that poster. I am sure all of this was the same before but since we are talking about the design/layout I wanted to mention it. I like keep it simple design so you can focus on the important stuff.

Weightweenies layout is nice and clean:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

Attachments

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
only complaint is how theres no forum selection at the bottom of the right hand side anymore,and wats up with this autosave **** poping up all the time ????? will there be a blackberry app ???? better.
i'm not seeing a forum selection option anywhere within the threads, it's there on each forum's homepage though. didn't it used to be at the top and bottom of threads?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Another small one....separating the actual post section from the username/avatar/info section makes things a bit cleaner/easier to read IMO.
thanks for doing this! :thumb:
Weird, at home last night this change was made, but at work it's still all one background color. Both using the latest version of Firefox, but W7 at home and XP here. Might be the difference somehow.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Hidden posts from ignored users still take up a large amount of space within a thread. This was similar in previous software, but I think that space has gotten even taller than before.

I LOVE bulletin boards that completely hide ignored users, rather than this code which constantly is reminding you that an annoying/sketchy/juvenile poster is "over-sharing." I would love a true ignore on RM.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I agree the page would be much easier to read if it was cleaned up a little including smaller icons. Also Do we really need dates and precise time for post and replies. New threads are on the top anyway and when you go into a thread you can see the time of post there too. "

This ^^^

I'm not sure how far along this is but I am having a tough time reading the forum thread page. There is too much text under the title of the thread which makes the title tough to discern. I agree, knowing who started the thread is good but no need to list when it was started. It' basically too busy and with the size of the envelope icons next to the title it pulls your eyes away from the title.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There seems to be a lot of wasted vertical space for posts with signatures. Signatures always appear below where the Avatar info on the left side even though they use different horizontal space. This leaves large amounts of empty space. This with stupid modern wide screens leaves room for little more than even a one line post.

*Vertical space efficiency and wide screen monitors is a personal pet peeve of mine. Everything on the computer is designed vertically for monitors with wide screen formats WTF.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just a small request - can the URL monkey icon be restored?
Yup, favicon to replace the generic vB one, please.

imho the new icon images to the left of every thread and forum are way too large
Bingo. Smaller icons to the left would be nice. (What stands out below? :facepalm: )

Thank you for mixing up the font sizes, btw. Much better already in that regard. :thumb:

Another few nitpicks while I'm at it: random whitespace between reputation boxes is unnecessary. Also unnecessary is all the vertical whitespace within the user info (post count, reputation, location, etc.), which is uneven, to boot.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm traveling but let me just address some of the miscellaneous comments:

- There will be lots of tweaks to the layout. There were some logistical reasons why it was more important to launch this yesterday, then finish tweaking the skin , than get the skin perfect in the test install then launch. Some of the theming was deliberate but a lot was just an artifact of upgrading to VB4.

Please keep commenting on tweaks you'd like to see - the ignore list is a really good one that I would never have thought of, so we'll see if it's possible. The giant icons next to threads and forums will shrink and be made into something bike related.

- The mobile skin is not that far out. I know the site looks even less good on mobile devices now. We'll get there.

- The bookmark icon will be restored.

- The fixed width layout is not going anywhere any time soon. The transition from VB3 -> VB4 did not narrow things significantly, we lost less than 3% of total column space. We'll continue tweaking to make the best use of the space, but there are a lot of reasons why we can't go to a fluid layout right now to make the best use of widescreen. Sorry. For the comment previously, RM has never been a fluid layout... so I don't know what was going on there. It's always been this narrow, and fixed width.

- Rep and user CP have been answered, but to reiterate, user CP is now "Settings" and the rep icon is the little sheriff badge under the user. The User CP change makes perfect sense, since User CP was a weird way to refer to it, so we're leaving it at "Settings" - but the badge may change, haven't decided yet.

- I hate the current user box to the left of the posts. The whitespace between rep boxes doesn't both me, but it's super tall now and weirdly spaced. There are a bunch of vertical space problems (as Westy also noted). We'll fix it.

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
small bug.
when you click on "new posts," the row of links including "new posts, private messages,faq....." disappears
I was just going to post this. I find it irritating as I have to go back to "forum" and re-click "new posts" to refresh the page.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I still think there should be new criteria for having to spread rep around. Being as stingy as I am with rep, there's only a small number of people that I ever deem worthy. So vast expenses of time must elapse before I can ever rep anyone again. can it maybe go by "spreading it around" and/OR a time frame?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I still think there should be new criteria for having to spread rep around. Being as stingy as I am with rep, there's only a small number of people that I ever deem worthy. So vast expenses of time must elapse before I can ever rep anyone again. can it maybe go by "spreading it around" and/OR a time frame?
Oooooo.......I'm worthy! :cupidarrow:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Site's still awesome but I'd really, really like to get back the dropdown forum menu on the bottom right, esp from my usercp.

Also noting that text wrapping in this quick reply box is kinda funkdified. Words are staying split between two lines. Thanks!!

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Like they say... If it ain't baroke, it's probably cubism!! :bonk:

As to the new look, you can put lipstick on a pig... and it still can't show me who does the constant "sheen winning" / "failing" tags! :mad:

MMike, how many times do I have to tell ya? You don't have to rep me. Just a nice kiss ass PM now and then would show you care. :D :rofl:

:offtopic: And with THAT, I JUST BROKE 1,001 posts on RM!!! :weee: :monkeydance: :cheers: :headbang: :rockout:
Understanding the higher number RM posts, the less of a life you have, heh heh heh. :D

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Changes or not I've already grown accustomed to the way the site is now despite any differences to the old format. Other than the wasted vertical space and no background color difference between the user info area and post area, I'm happy with everything.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
What part of

didn't you understand?
sorry chief, i was too busy posting about cars. :rolleyes:

- Rep and user CP have been answered, but to reiterate, user CP is now "Settings" and the rep icon is the little sheriff badge under the user. The User CP change makes perfect sense, since User CP was a weird way to refer to it, so we're leaving it at "Settings"
"settings" makes even less sense then "user cp." (which other sites using this forum software uses)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have another one -

Is there a way "view single post" can be turned on the same way as it used to be? As in click post number = post opens in its own window? So useful for linking old posts either on forum or elsewhere without the thread to distract from it.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if anything has been typed or quoted into the text box, a "leave this page/stay on this page" prompt appears if you try and close the tab on Chrome

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
so has anything been changed per the suggestions here?
You have to be ****ting me.

Seriously, go find another site if this one is so abhorrent to you.

We upgraded on a Thursday and weren't about to change anything on Friday since the reason we upgraded on Thursday was to give it a soak day in case there were huge issues so we weren't working all weekend.

Anyone else have any dumbass comments? Maybe someone else who didn't read the thread or doesn't have any common sense?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
id really reply to that but figured youd get butt hurt again and ban me for no reason :thumb:

edit: stay classy

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Saying the words "butt hurt" doesn't mean you're not acting like a douche, which is the reason you got a ban before.

...which was only for 24 hours, speaking of "butt hurt."

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Saying the words "butt hurt" doesn't mean you're not acting like a douche, which is the reason you got a ban before.

...which was only for 24 hours, speaking of "butt hurt."
how many people got banned form gt_smife thread again?

and by "douche" you mean calling someone a dumbass like you did or saying someone doesnt have common sense because they didnt read the whole thread? double standard? nah

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
You have to be ****ting me.

Seriously, go find another site if this one is so abhorrent to you.

We upgraded on a Thursday and weren't about to change anything on Friday since the reason we upgraded on Thursday was to give it a soak day in case there were huge issues so we weren't working all weekend.

Anyone else have any dumbass comments? Maybe someone else who didn't read the thread or doesn't have any common sense?
So have you implemented any of the changes yet?

:D

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
When I use the image button (using Chrome) and try to link an image/gif it always says "invalid URL" but I can use the method and it works fine......?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have another one -

Is there a way "view single post" can be turned on the same way as it used to be? As in click post number = post opens in its own window? So useful for linking old posts either on forum or elsewhere without the thread to distract from it.
Nooooo! I like this new way much better. In fact, I would manually recreate this format of URL, working backwards from the old single post format post #s, when linking elsewhere.