Quantcast

So... predictions for tonight?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Haha didn't you get the memo? Anthropogenic global warming is a myth! What is the unemployment rate in Cali right now like, 22%? Now it's sure to go even higher.:shocked:
Maybe you should get your information from peer review journals, they usually put a bit more effort than writing a memo:rofl:

Also you really have no clue about the energy sector. Check out renewables/alternative energy, they are making money hand over fist and creating new jobs. Prop 23 would have killed jobs in CA which is a big driver for the rest of the nation and the world - the loss would have been far greater and detrimental in the long term. Even Pickens and other oil interests are investing billions in alternatives, they know the party won't last forever :think:

The people in CA got it right so your delusions are irrelevant.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Looks like IL and PA are going GOP in the senate races... PA looks locked in, and IL is looking bleak. Pesqueeb, keep in mind that you've got 50% of Boulder and Denver counties reporting, but zero from some of the others. Although there are some TINY counties out there. Probably going to be another nail-biter down to the end?

I have to say, I'm seeing this as a positive for the Dems. It's been an absolutely perfect scenario for Republicans, and yet they handed DE to the Democrats, and can barely win PA and IL. CO looks to be a tossup, and Reid might pull out NV? Regardless, it's looking to be far closer than the polls were showing, at least in some of the races...
Looks like you were correct. Senate race here is now too close to call. Shockingly though all of the anti-tax initiatives and the zygotes-are-people initiative bit the dust. It might be crazy here, but apparently were not Desmondo crazy.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Maybe you should get your information from peer review journals, they usually put a bit more effort than writing a memo:rofl:

Also you really have no clue about the energy sector. Check out renewables/alternative energy, they are making money hand over fist and creating new jobs. Prop 23 would have killed jobs in CA which is a big driver for the rest of the nation and the world - the loss would have been far greater and detrimental in the long term. Even Pickens and other oil interests are investing billions in alternatives, they know the party won't last forever :think:

The people in CA got it right so your delusions are irrelevant.
GO ahead and back govt subsidies out of those profits and come back to me.:rolleyes:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Roundup - The GOP is pretty much f'ed. After watching Chris Matthews last night interviewing GOP House members and asking them "what would you cut", I'm pretty convinced that the Republicans have zero idea on how to govern. It's becoming clear that there is no way that they can keep all of their promises (no tax increases, no new debt ceiling, rainbows and unicorns for everyone), and if they start reneging on them, you're going to see massive GOP infighting. Should be pretty interesting.

I just hope the Democrats can suspend the Senate rules to allow for election reform this fall. It'd be REALLY interesting to have them make it retroactive so that we can see all of the corporations who dumped millions of dollars into the races this election cycle...

Oh, and I'd bet any hope for ANY extension of the Bush tax cuts is pretty much dead and buried. YAY GRIDLOCK!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Roundup - The GOP is pretty much f'ed. After watching Chris Matthews last night interviewing GOP House members and asking them "what would you cut", I'm pretty convinced that the Republicans have zero idea on how to govern.
that's because they've been spending the last 2 years pointing fingers instead of figuring out their game plan.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
that's because they've been spending the last 2 years pointing fingers instead of figuring out their game plan.
No, their plan and platform for this election was "less government" so they plan to do even less, now.

<edit> Great, now the governor race is too close to call here. When I went to bed, Dudley was down a lot.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
in another ten years it might stand a shot at passing, once more of the reefer madness generation starts dying off
My prediction now is that it'll pass in 2 years when they resubmit it to the ballot.

If they put voting machines in headshops, it would have passed. The stoners forgot to vote yesterday.
Most young people forgot to vote yesterday. Exit polling nationwide showed:

Age 18-29: 11% of the electorate
Age 30-44: 22% of the electorate
Age 45-64: 44% of the electorate
Age 65+: 25% of the electorate

In 2008 it was:

Age 18-29: 18% of the electorate
Age 30-44: 29% of the electorate
Age 45-64: 30% of the electorate
Age 65+: 23% of the electorate

There was a MASSIVE shift away from votes between the ages of 18-44, and to the voters 45+. Guess what happened, older voters tended to vote more Republican, more conservative, and against Prop 19. For all that I was excited about youth/FB turnout, it seems young people just don't give a sh!t. Which is why we are where we are today...

Looks like you were correct. Senate race here is now too close to call. Shockingly though all of the anti-tax initiatives and the zygotes-are-people initiative bit the dust. It might be crazy here, but apparently were not Desmondo crazy.
I'd bet CO and WA go Democrat when all is said and done. The ballots left to be counted are from some pretty heavily Democratic districts in CO, although WA seems to be pretty evenly distributed in counties that don't have all of their returns in...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
itll get shot down just as bad next time around. even if it is worded differently.
I'll bet you a 6pack that if it's on the ballot in 2012, it passes. Deal? If the young people turn out again in 2012 to vote for the president and make up 47% of the population instead of 33%, I'm betting that it passes relatively easily... The problem wasn't liberal vs conservative, it was young vs old, and the young people didn't bother showing up this round.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'll bet you a 6pack that if it's on the ballot in 2012, it passes. Deal? If the young people turn out again in 2012 to vote for the president and make up 47% of the population instead of 33%, I'm betting that it passes relatively easily... The problem wasn't liberal vs conservative, it was young vs old, and the young people didn't bother showing up this round.
a 6pack it is :thumb:

even with 47% of people supporting it, the same thing will happen next time... there wont be enough actual support from the younger generation in the polls to make it pass, which is sad. especially with the influx of money it would bring a cash-strapped state.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The problem wasn't liberal vs conservative, it was young vs old, and the young people didn't bother showing up this round.
I was surprised to see it lose, but dispensaries in Oregon also failed and I thought that was an easy win here.

But to be honest, potheads get excited about stuff while on the couch. Very few get up and actually do something about it. I bet if you were to take a poll at Prop 19 headquarters, less than 60% of the folks there burning actually voted thinking everyone else did and it would be a landslide.

Also, look at the exit polls from the triangle. Humboldt didn't want to lose its hipster edgy status and become legit. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And from facebook:

Wow! Great deal California! You elected the worst Governor in California's history a third time, a Lieutenant Governor who's agenda only focus's on Gay Marriage and not on getting jobs back for those who need it, and a Senator who claimed victory even before the result were read. Amazing how all these candidates knew before we even had the polls closed that they had won.

Come on California! I can't believe that you would rather reward people of no moral compass, than hold them accountable for their total lack of common sense and moral values.
<edit> I couldn't resist, so I added to the fire.
Don't forget the billions (with a b) in tax revenue you pass on, too. Everyone knows that pot is the gateway drug to gay marriage.
:rofl:

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I was surprised to see it lose, but dispensaries in Oregon also failed and I thought that was an easy win here.

But to be honest, potheads get excited about stuff while on the couch. Very few get up and actually do something about it. I bet if you were to take a poll at Prop 19 headquarters, less than 60% of the folks there burning actually voted thinking everyone else did and it would be a landslide.
i thought there were dispensaries in Oregon already...was i thinking Washington?

thats the difference b/w the younger generation and the old folk....the old folk actually care enough to get up and vote even if it wont benefit them directly.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i thought there were dispensaries in Oregon already...was i thinking Washington?
Oregon has medical pot, but you either have to grow it yourself or find a "caregiver/grower" that will grow it for you and up to 3 others. There is a cafe in Portland that has a monthly dues and is like $5 at the door, but you can smoke all you want while there and everyone shares or something. But it's like a buffet, no to-go bags allowed.

I think there are also "donation" centers that will exchange your cash donation for a bag of medication. It just so happens that the amount of medication you get based on the size of your donation works out to roughly street prices for a bag of stash from a dude in Pioneer Square.

There seemed to be a lot of support. The main advantage of dispensaries was current card holders could now register to grow for a shop rather than a patient. As a grower for a shop, you wouldn't be limited to 4 patients per person (with 5 full sized plants per patient). But also a lot of people feared price gouging like in California and Colorado where shop prices are often way more than street.

Granted, what you get in a shop is quality vs. what you might get from a dude on the corner, but when it costs twice as much, you get what you can afford, right?

That, and the whole kids are lazy thing. Only this time you can apply it to potheads of all ages tend to be a bit on the forgetful side.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
idk about the whole state vs municipality argument. correct me if I'm wrong but alcohol is taxed at the state level is it not? why treat pot any differently?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
from CNN...

"Midterm elections confirm Americans are deeply frustrated with pace of economic recovery, President Obama says."

or they just have terrible short term memories and forgot who's fault it is we're in this mess.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
GO ahead and back govt subsidies out of those profits and come back to me.:rolleyes:
Subsidies, taxes breaks, tax shelters, and various other deals are nothing new for most US industries/large corporations so what is your point? Its happened throughout history and its not unique to alternative energy.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
idk about the whole state vs municipality argument. correct me if I'm wrong but alcohol is taxed at the state level is it not? why treat pot any differently?
I wrote a 15 page paper in college on how the taxation of pot at a state and national level could lower our national spending deficit by 50% within 5-8 years. It would also simultaneously lower crime and the number of non-violent offenders in the penal system. The US has the highest number of incarcerated citizens per capita by almost 20% to the next country (Russia). And nearly 1 in 8 people in prison in the US are there because of a Pot related offense. The cost to keep those people in prison is over 1 billion a year and over 8 billion a year just to arrest them. So, in the first 5 years of legalizing Pot that adds another 48 billion in surplus onto of the money made from taxing it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My prediction now is that it'll pass in 2 years when they resubmit it to the ballot.

Most young people forgot to vote yesterday. Exit polling nationwide showed:

Age 18-29: 11% of the electorate
Age 30-44: 22% of the electorate
Age 45-64: 44% of the electorate
Age 65+: 25% of the electorate

In 2008 it was:

Age 18-29: 18% of the electorate
Age 30-44: 29% of the electorate
Age 45-64: 30% of the electorate
Age 65+: 23% of the electorate

There was a MASSIVE shift away from votes between the ages of 18-44, and to the voters 45+. Guess what happened, older voters tended to vote more Republican, more conservative, and against Prop 19. For all that I was excited about youth/FB turnout, it seems young people just don't give a sh!t. Which is why we are where we are today...
I forget what thread it was in but this was the point I was making about mandatory voting. The lack of a youth and minority vote, especially in the mid terms always hurts the Dems and progressive causes. Sure a couple extra Wal-mart greeters would come out and vote too but the surge in the youth vote would totally overwhelm what ever extra klan votes would get thrown in.

:
This actually doesn't surprise me all that much. I know its easy to forget, but outside of Multnomah and Lane Counties, most of Oregon is actually fairly conservative.

I wouldn't take that bet. It'll be back for sure. Its already on its way to being a ballot issue here in CO for 2012. Although I know the group pushing it here was pretty optimistic they could ride a Prop 19 victory wave. That might have changed a bit with its defeat in CA.

Chalk up another loss for the teabaggers. Denver Post calls it for Bennett.
Thanks be to the FSM. :weee:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This actually doesn't surprise me all that much. I know its easy to forget, but outside of Multnomah and Lane Counties, most of Oregon is actually fairly conservative.
It's funny when you look at the map. Portland metro = Blue. Eugene and surrounding areas = blue. The rest of the state is various shades of red. But after talking with law enforcement in southern oregon, it sounded like ALL the good legal grows are east where there isn't much else to do. So I figured at least form a revenue standpoint there would be support for legal grow ops when little else is there.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Polling accuracy update:

Nevada
Rassmussen: Angle +3
Actual: Reid +5.5
Off by 8.5%!!

California
Rasmussen: Boxer +3
Actual: Boxer +9.5
Off by 6.5%

Colorado
Rasmussen: Buck +4
Actual: Bennett +1 (so far, probably going to grow)
Off by 5%

Washington
Rasmussen: Murray +2
Actual: Murray +1 (so far)
Off by -1%

Pennsylvania
Rasmussen: Toomey +4
Actual: Toomey +2
Off by 2%

WV
Rasmussen: Manchin +4.5
Actual: Manchin +10
Off by 5.5%

Kentucky
Rasmussen: Paul +12
Actual: Paul +11.5
Surprisingly accurate

Illinois
Rasmussen: Kirk +4
Actual: Kirk +2
Off by 2%

Wisconsin
Rasmussen: Johnson +7
Actual: +5
Off by 2%

Connecticut
Rasmussen: Blumenthal +7
Actual: Blumenthal +10
Off by 3%

Florida
Rasmussen: Rubio +20
Actual: Rubio +20
Surprisingly accurate

Alaska
Don't care

Missouri
Rasmussen: Blunt +9
Actual: Blunt +14
Off by -5%

Deleware
Rasmussen: Coons +11
Actual: Coons +16
Off by 5%

And so on. So it's pretty obvious that regardless of who won, Rasmussen had a VERY Republican bias going into the election. Aside from Washington, every close race had between a 2-8pt bias towards the Republicans. That's pretty significant, and pretty much mirrors what Democrats have been saying all election cycle. Pretty interesting, to say the least.