Quantcast

So we got a dog....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
After a lot of research and investigating we picked up a dog at our local shelter.

I think for a first dog the Shiba Inu was not the right decision for my wife and I.

My wife met me at the shelter and this dog caught my eye right off the bat. We walked him around and he was great.

He's a 5 month old Australian Cattle Dog named Bruzer.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Those dogs can jump.

Really, really high.

Nice pooch stosh.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Interesting facts about blue heelers

1. They are one of the few breeds of dogs that are born 100% white. It takes a few weeks for them to get their colours.

2. Being born white makes them susceptible to congenital deafness.

3. It has been recorded that in establishing the breed, there was some Australian Natvie Dog (dingo) bred into it.

4. It is yet to be established whether it is a good idea to leave it unattended around babies because of this.

5. Very active dogs, although if channeled correctly they can be some of the mellowest and cruisy dogs I've met.

6. Being bred to herd cattle they have had a bit of extra 'mongrel' added to the mix so they are prone to want to 'nip' when chasing or herding. Unlike Kelpies or border collies who just herd. Although cattle are bigger and tend to be a bit more stubborn.

7. They just love eating too. A friends has one about two feet tall and two feet wide.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Interesting facts about blue heelers

1. They are one of the few breeds of dogs that are born 100% white. It takes a few weeks for them to get their colours.

2. Being born white makes them susceptible to congenital deafness.

3. It has been recorded that in establishing the breed, there was some Australian Natvie Dog (dingo) bred into it.

4. It is yet to be established whether it is a good idea to leave it unattended around babies because of this.

5. Very active dogs, although if channeled correctly they can be some of the mellowest and cruisy dogs I've met.

6. Being bred to herd cattle they have had a bit of extra 'mongrel' added to the mix so they are prone to want to 'nip' when chasing or herding. Unlike Kelpies or border collies who just herd. Although cattle are bigger and tend to be a bit more stubborn.

7. They just love eating too. A friends has one about two feet tall and two feet wide.
Thanks for the great info!

He loves eating and he LOVE LOVE LOVES bones. We're currently dog proofing our home as we speak.

I'm really exicted throw a frisbee with him. At some point I would like to take him to some classes.
I can already tell he listens well. When you talk sternly at him he will stop and lay by your feet... it only lasts a few seconds but he does it. He's a 5month old with alot of energy right now.

We had a great first night and he's very very attached to us already. It already appears he views me as the alpha and my wife as his fun companion. He doesn't listen to her as well as he does to me however, when he lies next to the bed he chooses her side, when he's in a playful mode he chooses her.

He slept well in his crate last night so that made us very happy new parents!

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Congrats! You can look foward to him keeping the Candian Geese off of your property for a long time to come!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nice lookin' dog there, stosh, enjoy!

We've always had shelter dogs and every one of our dogs has been 110% awesome :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I wish it wasn't so dang rainy out, we can't really enjoy him out doors yet.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
sorry must have missed it in the begining. your gonna have sooo much fun!!! do you still think its ok to bring Lucy?? how is he with other dogs?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
We took him to Petsmart today to get him cleaned and his nails cut and he did well there. I am going to have Aubrey's parent's dog come over before you guys come up. I do not think there will be a problem though, just better to be safe than sorry. How old is Lucy now?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
We took him to Petsmart today to get him cleaned and his nails cut and he did well there. I am going to have Aubrey's parent's dog come over before you guys come up. I do not think there will be a problem though, just better to be safe than sorry. How old is Lucy now?
Lucy just turned 5 months

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
you're such a copy cat... ;)

this is Kona, my aussie. I've had her for about 4 years now. She's great, super smart and very active.

hey, so did you change your cell number or are you just bad at calling people back? :p

:D

Attachments

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Great dog! One day I hope to have one similar. Love those ACDs. You're gonna have some great rides. Just make sure you're wearing some kind of eye protection. Bruzer's gonna kick up small stuff at you while tearing down the trail in front of you keeping you in a herd.