Quantcast

SoFA Georgia DH Mini Series Announcement Official

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
Please don't make the South choose The 3rd race or the Wolf race. Not good.
Yeah unfortunately we had picked those dates a month ago and its way too much trouble to change them. We have to get permits from USACE for events at Carters.

Plus ours is certain, course is built and ready to go. Already had one locals only race in March.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
This is great news!!!!!! But you have to be a Sorba Member to race in it. Guess that is another fee I have to pay to race then.... Thanks for the info. Will do my best to make it.

Long Live the South!!!!!:imstupid:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Yeah unfortunately we had picked those dates a month ago and its way too much trouble to change them. We have to get permits from USACE for events at Carters.

Plus ours is certain, course is built and ready to go. Already had one locals only race in March.
Well being that the only DH race at Wolf will be that date then I have to go support the Wolf race. This will have an effect on Wolf having a Mt. Bike program in 2008, so please understand. Will be ther for the other 2 races though.:cheers:

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
This is great news!!!!!! But you have to be a Sorba Member to race in it. Guess that is another fee I have to pay to race then.... Thanks for the info. Will do my best to make it.
That is true. You must be a SORBA member to race. Our events are covered under SORBA's activity/event insurance. However, unlike your NORBA license, your SORBA membership is 100% tax deductible :)

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
This will have an effect on Wolf having a Mt. Bike program in 2008, so please understand.
This I have no problem with and completely understand. It's just a lot of work to change those dates. Like I said before we picked them out of month ago and we just got the official word last Wednesday/Thursday that they were approved.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
That is true. You must be a SORBA member to race. Our events are covered under SORBA's activity/event insurance. However, unlike your NORBA license, your SORBA membership is 100% tax deductible :)
Will get one to come race... Glad you are putting them on!!!!

This I have no problem with and completely understand. It's just a lot of work to change those dates. Like I said before we picked them out of month ago and we just got the official word last Wednesday/Thursday that they were approved.
I wanted to put a race on here in Greenville. It can happen and have a nice course to race on too. The only thing is I don't have the time to do all the leg work by myself to make it happen. Maybe next year or later in this year we can. Having Wolf back and your races is a good thing.

Thanks,
Cecil

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge

Well, I wish you guys the best of luck, but I'm not getting a membership. :greedy:

You might be better off not requiring that. You may limit your entry numbers if you do.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Think one man burly 4X course with lotsa jumps/berms and a few rocks/roots/steeps/drops thrown in. You'd run about 1:30-1:40.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Insurance dood, insurance.
Clemson ran their race with a $30 entry fee and it included insurance.

SORBA is asking $30 for a membership, plus $22. I commend them for putting on races, but don't force us to become members under the guise of insurance.

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
SORBA is asking $30 for a membership, plus $22. I commend them for putting on races, but don't force us to become members under the guise of insurance.
It is a SORBA sponsored event, you have to be a member to participate in the race. We (SoFA) do not have the club funds yet to put up money for insurance before hand - all been used building the trails and bike parks; therefore, we must use SORBA insurance.

I am actually the person that bought the insurance for the Winter Splinter event and "donated" it to SoFA. It wasn't cheap....

Besides... like I said you get your membership money back the next tax season. :D

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Brady

Thanks for promoting the scene. After promoting races for 5 seasons, I understand the insurance issue. Most places require $1-5 Million in coverage. Good luck getting that for a reasonable price without an organazation backing you up.

BTW; Check out your riding in Matt's latest video. Keep it up

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Clemson ran their race with a $30 entry fee and it included insurance.

Don't be a dumbass, this isn't a ploy to force anybody to get any membership. Sofa doesn't directly benefit from license sales and Brady and Jon are very aware it'll likely be a barrier to some folks racing but it's a necessary evil.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Jeff summed it up best, But I'd like to add 20 of the 22 dollars is
FOR THE PRO PURSE.
:disgust1:
2 bucks is a park usage fee

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Course looks fun ! $55 is expensive though .

-- How does this price compare to the NORTHEAST where DH is booming with the LIFT-Assisted venues ?

-- Are NorthEast Downhillers paying more--less--or the same for a DH race.They are pimping on a big DH mountain too i might add.

-- My guess is, the costs are the same;but we have smaller DH's to ride, & no lift... Maybe things will come around though:wait:

Sorry to rant,i woke up in a bad mood today.:plthumbsdown:

think1up

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Course looks fun ! $55 is expensive though .

-- How does this price compare to the NORTHEAST where DH is booming with the LIFT-Assisted venues ?

-- Are NorthEast Downhillers paying more--less--or the same for a DH race.They are pimping on a big DH mountain too i might add.

-- My guess is, the costs are the same;but we have smaller DH's to ride, & no lift... Maybe things will come around though:wait:

Sorry to rant,i woke up in a bad mood today.:plthumbsdown:
Keep in mind you only pay the membership once. so the first race you'll pay $42 am/$52 pro and the second and third race you only pay $12 am/$22 pro (plus parking each time).

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
it's a year membership. 30 dollar membership is a ONE TIME FEE.
And you'll be set for any future events for a full year from time of purchase.

You can join YOUR local Sorba Chapter so if youre a member of PASA, Pisgah Sorba, Middle Tennesee or Chattanooga Sorba or whatever your good to go.

So after that it's only 22 for PRO, 12 bucks for AM

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
Apples and oranges. They have a large organization backing them. Usually the mountain property owner. Not to mention revenue from lift ticket sales at the onset of the season.

More. Average one day lift ticket is $30, season passes are $300+. US Open registration is $70+. Average race registration fee is $35 for amateur classes and $40-$45 for pro.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
how much are school club memberships? If such a thing exists?
sorba has a student membership option although it's not listed online.
I think / but not positive it's 10 or 15 dollars.
I'll try to find out more info

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeah If we could get any of the - like 6 prospects for DS/MTX courses
to pan out I wanted to try and have a 3 race slalom series this fall.
One at my course and a couple elsewheres- maybe something will
still happen (not holding breath) - I will still hold an event at my
course "GA Supercross" sometime in the fall, but a series backed
by sorba would warrant enough races to get a membership- along with
the Mini Dh series you guys are throwin'
You heard anything else from Gainsville Jon?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
hey chuck i tried e-mailing you

Yeah Jeff and I met with the Parks Commission last night did the big slide show presenstation on MTX and got the FINAL go ahead for the 4x at Central, if you could let Juan know too.
Parks Commision also knows we are on a time table to get some racing by in late fall so thats a good thing. I'll talk to u more about it later.

Chicopee DS is got the go ahead, just waiting to hear back from GA power on if we can use the Powerline easement.
If not we have a back up plan of running the DS through the woods. The director of Sorba is calling them directly for us. I spoke with him this afternoon about it and he said we should get word back really soon like within a week. They have big plans to include more than just a DS, don't want to go into here too much cause it's really an ambitious project. But the cool thing is they are pushing it through for us and are going to get the funds to build it.

Also Sorba Student Pricing.... I was a little off the mark...
It's 20 dollars so that's a Ten dollar discount on membership.

alright off to go get my **** together for Massanutten :monkeydance:

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
hey chuck i tried e-mailing you

Yeah Jeff and I met with the Parks Commission last night did the big slide show presenstation on MTX and got the FINAL go ahead for the 4x at Central, if you could let Juan know too.
Parks Commision also knows we are on a time table to get some racing by in late fall so thats a good thing. I'll talk to u more about it later.

Chicopee DS is got the go ahead, just waiting to hear back from GA power on if we can use the Powerline easement.
If not we have a back up plan of running the DS through the woods. The director of Sorba is calling them directly for us. I spoke with him this afternoon about it and he said we should get word back really soon like within a week. They have big plans to include more than just a DS, don't want to go into here too much cause it's really an ambitious project. But the cool thing is they are pushing it through for us and are going to get the funds to build it.

Also Sorba Student Pricing.... I was a little off the mark...
It's 20 dollars so that's a Ten dollar discount on membership.

alright off to go get my **** together for Massanutten :monkeydance:

jon this is all awesome news. Call me and fill me in man. Ashley