Quantcast

SOOOOOO many stem choices !!

dhpete93

Chimp
May 24, 2008
UK
Apparently missing a bolt or something. I wonder if my forks would fail if I took 1/4 of the bolts out of the crowns, or axle.
Pics of failed stems please that aren't from poor set up, or maintenence(bolt tension), and ideally tell us if they're crash related failures, or have been in big crashes in the past. And how old they are.
I took those pictures. All bolts were there, just 1 missing the head after the stem twisted.

His setup was fine, the bolts were the supplied steel bolts. The guy is good with maintenance and only had the stem a week prior to its failure.

The problem was the rider. Guppy was and still is a fearless rider, I rode with him a couple of weeks ago at his local hill and whilst I was there I asked him to show me where he broke his stem. So he did, it was a 3 hit line all with landings as flat as can be. Starting at about 10 foot and ending with a good 16 foot, to a angled landing. It was the last drop that the stem failed on, and I don't blame it.

The funny thing was when I met him he was on what he calls a cross country ride. And I set out intending to go on a huck/drop mission. It turns out they're the same thing to Guppy...

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I'm developing a plan to keep my bars on using nothing but Invisible Tape. Early lab tests indicate that 4 strips works fine, but I'm pretty sure I can get it down to 2 before I bring it to market.

I also bought a set of glitter pens, so you can get the stem (which I will call the Point ZERO - because that is the lightest name available anywhere) in a variety of colors to match your new TLD kit.

Big-Dave

Chimp
Oct 29, 2009
England!! Rule Britannia!!!
is as light as physically possible on a stem really a good idea??

I have a friend using a direct mount stem on a set of 40's and withing 8 weeks there is stress lines appearing in the stem!!

I've used Burgtec boxxer stems since they were released and they have been faultless!!

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
I'm looking at weights and materials on the Sicklines emag, all in 50mm length.

Race Face Atlas - 6061 w/ Ti bolts- 137 grams
Persist Triumph - 6061 w/ Ti face bolts and 12.9 crown bolts - 161 grams
Straightline Ultra - 6061 w/ steel bolts - 141 grams
Sunline - 7075 (looks like steel bolts)- 171 grams
Canfield - 7075 with 12.9 steel bolts - 158 grams

Anyone else have the rest of the brands with materials and weights?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i didnt read this whole thread but i really think some of these stems are mentally insane to run, i mean how important is a few grams when you are talking stems...if there is one spot i never want to snap a part it is there...that 77designz will last about 11 minutes. Do yourselves a favor and go to the e.13 forum and read the comments about some of these stems, it's a good read.

IMO the stem to have this year will be this badboy from cromag, looks like a well designed, hand crafted, reasonably light direct mount. I know i will be running this...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Theres a new Chromag Boxxer mount stem coming 2010, based off the Ranger stem design. Called the Commander i think?
There will be lighter stems out there, but i am pretty sold on Chromags function/strength/reliability approach to design.
:thumb:

I spent some time @ the office over the summer and those guys just flat out get it, making real parts for real riding that look good as well. I had my hands all over about every component they make and was really impressed.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
:thumb:

I spent some time @ the office over the summer and those guys just flat out get it, making real parts for real riding that look good as well. I had my hands all over about every component they make and was really impressed.

Looking at the pic on page 4 if this is the new stem to me looks like a backwards step, I prefer the old or current box stem, I like the wide face plate and boxxy looks, I don't like the pin stripes and flashy colors, but hey color options please everyone, imo don't fix what aint broke,

Personally I also don't want super light weight stem, I like stiff strong connection at the bars, weight is best saved in other area's.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
It's funny that there's this much discussion, and such a large variety of choices for what is essentially the simplest and easiest thing to make for a downhill bike. A competent MechE could design these things in a day or 2. Yet there are almost nothing but expensive options. Yay DH market!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm getting a kick out of how everybody was amped over super lightweight stems, then e13 says "lightweight stemz are bad, mmk" and everybody hates lightweight stems now. I still haven't seen any documentation besides "I saw this" and two broken point one stems. I'm sure the e13 piece was strong, but I find it hard to believe that all of the rest of these are going to fail immediately because they're lighter. Yeah, you don't need to shed essential parts, but losing unnecessary weight off components is what makes bikes lighter.

I can't say by looking at a picture that a certain stem is going to fail immediately, but you can take a look at a few of these and see that they're overbuilt pretty easily.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I dont think it was only e.13's comments that made ppl feel that way, it is a pretty obvious thing to be concerned about when dropping weight on a bike. These threads are always a good read, pretty funny in spots and some good info here and there...

I will always error on riding stuff that is solid, that makes me feel good about heading into a nasty section. That said i have never broken a stem, but i still dont want to risk it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Looking at the pic on page 4 if this is the new stem to me looks like a backwards step, I prefer the old or current box stem, I like the wide face plate and boxxy looks, I don't like the pin stripes and flashy colors, but hey color options please everyone, imo don't fix what aint broke,

Personally I also don't want super light weight stem, I like stiff strong connection at the bars, weight is best saved in other area's.
yeah i would bet they keep both, the old style one does have a 'this aint gonna break' feel to it...both are sweet if you ask me.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I saw that broken stem in Moscow. I couldn't believe the stem broke during normal dh racing (around a corner that wasn't really rough). Just seeing him break a stem like that really has me questioning the weight weenie mentality that has become a major trend.
Yeah, guess that's what you CAN expect for running a stem in that FIELD of weight. Fvck stems that break.

I have a sub 40lbs full Saint and steel sprung build while still running a real stem that is built to huck to flat on the gNarth Shore

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I ordered a Canfield stem today and my flush top headset showed up in the mail. The bars are going way down.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
^cough...

Other than from a crash, I saw my first snapped direct mount stem at the Moscow Arms Race this year - don't wanna say who made it was until someone backs me up with pictures...but it's been mentioned in this thread as being reallll low.

I'm 250lbs, ride pretty aggressively and run a Chromag. Their logo is a big bear (like me!) and the stem is twice the size of anyone else's - I feel safe.

I don't think having a direct mount stem twist in a crash is a bad thing - if stems cost what they should (like $50) it would be a nice breaking point instead of destroying your top crown or fork lowers.

That said, a stem should NEVER snap - EVER. I don't think anyone should take chances with cockpit components. I've had a headtube snap and it was terrible, and I think a stem would be much worse - even worse than a handlebar! Twisting is ok, but a stem should be able to handle any amount of vertical force.
Yeah, that could have been terrible. I also don't want to name names but to my knowledge it was a pre-production prototype stem he was running, and he ran it through a long race season... (not that it is justified but its something to consider.)

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
^cough...

Yeah, that could have been terrible. I also don't want to name names but to my knowledge it was a pre-production prototype stem he was running, and he ran it through a long race season... (not that it is justified but its something to consider.)
You definitely might be right. I was thinking about it tonight when I was putting my trailbike back together and realized they probably just put out a hit on him using that stem...which is something I completely support. If I can get some sort of confirmation on that, I'll gladly buy their products for the rest of my cycling career.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I didn't see this one listed on here yet although it's been around for a few years.

I admit I do like the boxxed out look of it and the adjustable reach.
135g.

I think the Answer 55mm reach stem will find it's way onto my bike later this year.

-Kevin

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I am definitely biased but I really dig our direct mount stem.

Nice and affordable at a USA retail of $79, reasonable weight at 170 grams with all hardware, and also somewhat low at 3mm from the bottom of the bar to the top of the crown surface.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I am definitely biased but I really dig our direct mount stem.

Nice and affordable at a USA retail of $79, reasonable weight at 170 grams with all hardware, and also somewhat low at 3mm from the bottom of the bar to the top of the crown surface.
I really dig that the crown side of the stem is attached to itself...if that makes any sense (ie not split). Cuts down on parts that can rattle or creak or come loose. I really like the design.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
^cough...

Where are the pics? Lets hear it.

Last edited:

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I really dig that the crown side of the stem is attached to itself...if that makes any sense (ie not split). Cuts down on parts that can rattle or creak or come loose. I really like the design.
It is also much stronger that way... goes a long way to prevent twisting.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
If the Twenty6, canfield, Point1 etc is considered lightweight how about this one to raise the bar further:

77designz - 103g inc bolts using the same bolt to secure the stem to the crown and to clamp the handleber.
This looks like one of the best designed stems ever to me. Possibly to little material, I won't argue that, but still a greta design.
I'd rock it, but like any lightweight part, I'd just keep an eye on it.I think any stem failure probably would have had visible signs before failure.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
It is also much stronger that way... goes a long way to prevent twisting.
eh? When was the last time you twisted your bars in your stem when the clamps were tightened down?

The bar to clamp interface and the huge cross tube (your handlebars) makes that tiny little crossbrace insignificant structurally.

I think that the stem looks cool, but you could most likely lose the crossbrace if it's only there for structural concerns.. It is nice for assembly factories to keep less parts around though.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I saw that broken stem in Moscow. I couldn't believe the stem broke during normal dh racing (around a corner that wasn't really rough). Just seeing him break a stem like that really has me questioning the weight weenie mentality that has become a major trend.
I saw it, it was a canfield.

I bent a twenty 6 stem this year. Tyler has said that the new ones are a little different to prevent this in the future though. FWIW, I am 6'3 200 lbs, I run uncut 31.5 bars and raced 18 time this season, so my bike had some hard miles logged. The stem didn't fail, but it did noticably bend down and twist. I can't imagine what would have happened had my stem failed over one of the big jumps at sol vista....

I hope the industry gets over this lightweight crap. Not all of us are 150 lbs, and some of us ride our bikes HARD. Bikes like the Trek Session 88 and the Mondraker Summuns scare the hell out of me.

-KT

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I saw it, it was a canfield.

I bent a twenty 6 stem this year. Tyler has said that the new ones are a little different to prevent this in the future though. FWIW, I am 6'3 200 lbs, I run uncut 31.5 bars and raced 18 time this season, so my bike had some hard miles logged. The stem didn't fail, but it did noticably bend down and twist. I can't imagine what would have happened had my stem failed over one of the big jumps at sol vista....

I hope the industry gets over this lightweight crap. Not all of us are 150 lbs, and some of us ride our bikes HARD. Bikes like the Trek Session 88 and the Mondraker Summuns scare the hell out of me.

-KT
What was the story behind the Canfield? Any pics?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
What was the story behind the Canfield? Any pics?
[wisper]
There was a plan by Canfield to off a Professional Cat 1 racer by giving him a bunk stem. Unfortunately I guess I spilled the beans on that one. Hopefully another GLD Factory Sponsor takes the reigns...
[/wisper]

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
eh? When was the last time you twisted your bars in your stem when the clamps were tightened down?

The bar to clamp interface and the huge cross tube (your handlebars) makes that tiny little crossbrace insignificant structurally.

I think that the stem looks cool, but you could most likely lose the crossbrace if it's only there for structural concerns.. It is nice for assembly factories to keep less parts around though.
Touche! But I should have been more accurate in my statement...

This is the kind of twisting I was talking about: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3151438/

...it looks like the hardware failed, maybe the body was too weak. Maybe the face plate was not tight enough and it otherwise could have been prevented, but there was definitely some twisting going on there.