Quantcast

southeast photo thread

KleinGuy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2010
Guyton, GA
Here's some pics from last July at Tsali. Hoping we can go back again this year!

We packed the truck down

On the trail

Nice Resting spot

View from Bell Mountain in Hiawassee

Down the road from Tsali entrance

My Buddy doing some Trials at the NOC

More Trials

More Trials

More Trials

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Ethan on his way to the win at snowshoe today

and heres a couple more from snowshoe #2. I only got a couple of the pro riders in the last woods section after i finished my run.

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
we had to cut a hole through the branches of a HUGE tree that fell across the road near the bottom of headleys so that we could shuttle....insanely big tree! then it POURED on our first run and thoroughly drenched us.

luckily i had my camp saw and jimmy and i saved the day.

then we went swimming at the gorge :thumb:

jimmy has shy nipples :rofl:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah today was super spotty as far as the rain went. I was trying to ride at Sugar today, but it was pouring there, so I rode about 10 minutes away in clear blue skies. :)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
how do you get to that? Would love to take my kids and "gently" hurl them in. :thumb:

it's the Wilson Creek Gorge Recreation Area and is part of the Pisgah Forest...i think. lots of kayakers and the like.

to get there:

(directions given as if you're leaving the shuttle road to headley's)

Left onto 181 toward Morganton. I think it's about 3-4 miles and you'll see a traditional church on the left, turn there. That is Brown Mountain Beach Rd (or some variation of that name...Brown Beach Mtn Rd...err something Brown and mountain ;) )

take that road for 5 miles. you'll cross a bridge and see an OHV area on the left with a brown park sign. keep going until you cross the next bridge and turn left onto Brown Mountain Beach Trail (or some variation of that name). You'll pass a few mudding spots on each side of the road where 4x4's rut up the shoulder and you'll come to a commercial campground on the left. pass through the gate at the guard shack thingy and continue on to the gravel road. you are now in the Wilson Creek Gorge area and you'll start to see the random brown trail map signs. drive on that gravel road for at least 1.5-2 miles (finding the exact swimming spot can be kind of difficult but it's usually the most packed with cars). most of the cars park on the right side of the road at this particular spot and the entrance is natural. this particular swimming spot has a steep rock face you have to walk down to get to the water, if you come down a spot that doesn't have a steep rock face you're in the wrong place. i marked it on my GPS and will add the lat/long coordinates of the swimming hole if you'd like.

hope that helps (it's one of those spots that's easier to just show you than explain how to get there) if you can't find the exact spot i was at just find any redneck and ask where the rock jumping spot is at that jumps into the waterfall and they should be able to point it out to you ;)

pic content:

if you're at the right spot you'll see this slick rock with a rope across from where you walk down at

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
The route for the "Green" loop at Boone's Rocky Knob MTB Park. It will most likely have to be designated a Blue loop because the terrain is so burly. :)

The purple line is the driveway into the park, which will have a very big MTB skills area, adventure playground, restrooms, shelters, and linear parking all along it. The trailhead will most likely be about 1/2 way down that road. You can't see the entire park, but in this image you can see the powerline cut, where a proposed jump trail will be going in eventually.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I feel like I wanna guess it was the old waterfall section at the top of the sugar mtn dh course that was impossibly difficult
Yep, that was it.
That picture looks alot scarier than it was. I put my shoulder on that tree to keep from going over. Then I walked back up and hit it proper.
Ha, that section scared me less than trying to hit the "steps" section fast at the end of Donovan's Dungeon now. If you go to slow, it will toss you, and if you go too fast you pee a little.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Yep, that was it.
That picture looks alot scarier than it was. I put my shoulder on that tree to keep from going over. Then I walked back up and hit it proper.
Ha, that section scared me less than trying to hit the "steps" section fast at the end of Donovan's Dungeon now. If you go to slow, it will toss you, and if you go too fast you pee a little.

The fact that butch posted it probably meant it was at sugar so it was like a guess what section game really. I remember hitting it cleanly like 5-6 times during practice that first year they had it at the first norba national there. Then i totally fudged it up when i decided i would do it in my race run

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Nice Ed! I like your dedication to your lack of style on every jump. Bringing it back to the old hucking days, just like the greats of Robbie Bourdon and many others of the old NWD days!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Craig, I can only assume you know that I am completely dedicated to capturing the glorious essence of pallet jumping, thus I always keep my prodigious steeze in check to create a stable filming platform. Otherwise, you end up with your knee hitting the camera like Mark here:

P!ss poor camera riding there...

Besides, based on some recent short-ish landers at WC courses, hucking is making a comeback! Bring on Deer Valley!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Have never built my own pump track before and I now know I suck at it. Tried to ride this thing today and am thinking it's unrideable:

geez, if someone would just lay out the dimensions for me...so frustrated.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
That was what was frustrating. I googled his frickin' site and then on his site searched like crazy for those dimensions and still couldn't find this one single link you just sent me.

BIG THANKS. I know my way around the net and could not get that one single page to turn up. :shakefist:

Will bust out the tape measure tonight!!!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
You need bigger rollers and further apart. Looks like the radius might be a little tight on your berms too. If you can't hold the speed the rollers give you through the turns it will never work.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
You need bigger rollers and further apart. Looks like the radius might be a little tight on your berms too. If you can't hold the speed the rollers give you through the turns it will never work.
I agree with Mule. They flow better and faster, like a BMX rhythm section. I like to be able to fit the wheel base of the bike between the flat section of the rollers.