Quantcast

Spoted! NEW 2011 demo 8 in Portugal

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
:thumb: If possible could you get some concrete specs as well eg: BB width, rear hub spacing , rake etc. I would rather here it from the horses mouth as opposed to e-spec

Cheers :)
150x12 rear thru axle
83 mm shell - accommodates OSBB, BB30, PF30 and threaded cups
Adjustable geo:
13.5 or 13.9 bb
64 or 64.5 HT
422 (16.6 in) chainstay length
ISCG05
frame is 3/4 lb lighter than last year
3.0x9.5 shock

Anything else?

Boomslang

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
150x12 rear thru axle
Adjustable geo:
13.5 or 13.9 bb
64 or 64.5 HT
ISCG05
3.0x9.5 shock

Anything else?

Boomslang
price?

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
google translate: "Demo 8 Centre of gravity lowered with refocusing of the masses towards the pedals, lean frame, same geometry except for a top-tube shortened by a few millimeters. 4 sizes with an Intoduction S Troy Brosnan! Bases and shorter stays (hydrofrmage) to clear the crossing legs while pedaling. Shock longer with a bit more progressive. All places where the mud could have been hidden or housing parts redesignated. New bottom bracket system based on Pressfit BB30 86mm width
The Demo 7 disappears and is replaced by the SX Trail, which gains in travel."

That is a pretty decent translation. Got all the big points correct! (83 shell though)

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
150x12 rear thru axle
Adjustable geo:
13.5 or 13.9 bb
64 or 64.5 HT
ISCG05
3.0x9.5 shock

Anything else?

Boomslang
awesome. that's what I was hoping the 2010 was going to be.

Huck_Finn

Chimp
Jul 4, 2009
Anything else?

Boomslang
The translation mentions there will be four sizes for the new frame. How will geometry change with the addition of a new size, compared to the 2010 frames? Will the new frames' geometry numbers remain about the same as the 2010 S, M, L with a new "XS" frame that's just smaller then the current S? Or, will the geo numbers shift a bit across the range with the addition of a fourth size?

It also mentions the top tube gets a bit shorter across the board. Do you have numbers on how much shorter?

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
150x12 rear thru axle
Adjustable geo:
13.5 or 13.9 bb
64 or 64.5 HT
ISCG05
3.0x9.5 shock

Anything else?

Boomslang
Yeah, when is special-ed going to realize proprietory shocks are dumb?

Huck_Finn

Chimp
Jul 4, 2009
The Troy sized bike is pretty perfect for someone my size (5'5"). I rode last year's small and it was too large. Troy's is 20mm smaller than last year's size small.
Crap. I'm a hair shy of 5'9", so I guess I'll still be right in between a S and M, especially if the top tube is shortening up a bit. I hate constantly being between frame sizes.

Huck_Finn

Chimp
Jul 4, 2009
Try being constantly UNDER a size small!
Yeah, that must really suck. My wife is an even 5', so I can't even find her a proper DH frame. At least the Demo has lots of standover clearance. I usually have trouble with that and the length of the seat tube on an 8" bike at my height, so I couldn't imagine having less then a 30" inseam on most DH frames.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I rode specialized for years thought they were great until I switched to a Giant Glory for this year. I have found something better. Then again maybe this new Demo will be the thing to bring me back to the big S

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Will it have a 1.5" headtube so you can slack it out with that cane creek adjustable headset?

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
The translation mentions there will be four sizes for the new frame. How will geometry change with the addition of a new size, compared to the 2010 frames? Will the new frames' geometry numbers remain about the same as the 2010 S, M, L with a new "XS" frame that's just smaller then the current S? Or, will the geo numbers shift a bit across the range with the addition of a fourth size?

It also mentions the top tube gets a bit shorter across the board. Do you have numbers on how much shorter?
The S, M and L all remain the same. We are simply adding the XS size.

Seat tube heights get a little lower on all sizes too, if you like to slam your seat.

JC

Last edited:

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
Will it have a 1.5" headtube so you can slack it out with that cane creek adjustable headset?
Yes 1.5.

You can also change the geo on the stock bike, but the HT angle and BB height will change together. There is also quite a bit of adjustment that can be made with fork crown height.

That Cane Creek Anglset is a pretty cool option if you wnat something really different.

JC

Last edited:

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Yes 1.5.

You can also change the geo on the stock bike, but the HT angle and BB height will change together. There is also quite a bit of adjustment that can be made with fork crown height.

That Cane Creek Anglset is a pretty cool option if you wnat something really different.

JC
How? Longer i2i shock?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How? Longer i2i shock?
I don't really know, but an adjustable shock shuttle seems much more likely. Changing the shock would also change the travel a good bit, and, unless they use different mounting holes, would chance the geo by way more than the stated amounts. If they're going to have to do different shock holes anyway, using the same shock would be a lot simpler.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I think the new EVO models of the Stumpjumper and Enduro are more interesting than the Demo.

So sick
Whoa - so this Enduro has more travel than the old SX Trail. At least up front.

So with no more Demo 7 freeride bike, does that mean the Demo is considered a race bike now?

:D sorry, had to.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Try being constantly UNDER a size small!
Maybe try a small Summum. Very short headtube and 15" seat tube.

I see the new Demo is BB30. Anyone know of any BB30 165mm cranks ?

Last edited: