Quantcast

Spoted! NEW 2011 demo 8 in Portugal

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
is it just me, or is the new SX like the one Hill and brendan rode at the Sea Otter last year and World Champs? Wasnt theirs supposed to have longer travel and more dh geometry? The new one has more travel and a longer shock, and is also replacing the demo 7.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I like my 2010 demo but the 2011 looks like a grand slam home run. Hope the price is right.
Now I need to sell mine in time to get this one.
Or you can just think of a clever way to break your frame and hope that Specialized come through on the warranty with the 2011 frame :D

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
sicklines has more info
http://www.sicklines.com/2010/06/28/2011-specialized-demo-8/

they certainly care about mud shedding
M5 ALLOY DH FRAME

WHAT: “All-new M5 alloy frame with 12 x 150mm rear end, fewer sharp edges/corners, an a sleeker finish.”

WHY: “The sleeker and new design helps to minimize mud and debris build-up. This helps to keep the weight low even in adverse condition while giving the rider advantages to slip through tight spaces unfettered.”

HOW: “Responding to input from Sam, Brendan and the Monster Energy mechanics, we softened corners that collected debris and made the frame sleeker to limit any narrow spaces that might collect mud.”

Last edited:

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
is it just me, or is the new SX like the one Hill and brendan rode at the Sea Otter last year and World Champs? Wasnt theirs supposed to have longer travel and more dh geometry? The new one has more travel and a longer shock, and is also replacing the demo 7.
The bike at last years Worlds had a slacker head tube, but the travel was the same as 2010 model.

JC

Huck_Finn

Chimp
Jul 4, 2009
Last question from me for Mr. Boomslang... I've seen mention of the geo slightly changing for the 2011 frame other places on the Intrawebs, but it sounds like that may have been inaccurate. Are the reach and wheelbase measurements of the 2011 S, M, and L frames the same as the 2010 frames?

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
Last question from me for Mr. Boomslang... I've seen mention of the geo slightly changing for the 2011 frame other places on the Intrawebs, but it sounds like that may have been inaccurate. Are the reach and wheelbase measurements of the 2011 S, M, and L frames the same as the 2010 frames?
Reach is the same. Wheelbase technically changes because the head tube is shorter but it is an insignificant amount.

JC

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Am I the only one that has noticed the pretty significant change in pivot location for the main pivot by the bottom bracket? It seems to have moved much higher than my '09 and even higher than the '10. wonder if this has to due with the revised mag link and sub-seatstay design? I know that single pivot bikes run the pivot in line with the chainline to help with pedalling efficiency... It seems like Spec may be trying to accomplish something similar?

Last edited:

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Am I the only one that has noticed the pretty significant change in pivot location for the main pivot by the bottom bracket? It seems to have moved much higher than my '09 and even higher than the '10. wonder if this has to due with the revised mag link and sub-seatstay design? I know that single pivot bikes run the pivot in line with the chainline to help with pedalling efficiency... It seems like Spec may be trying to accomplish something similar?
I don't see it. Are you looking at the chainguid roller, which looks like a pivot?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hey Jason,

What chain ring size have you settled on in terms of tuning the linkage to? A 36 or 38? I'm running a 36 on my DHR, but I've been able to out spin that once or twice w/ 11-26 and can't help but think 38 would be better overall. I can't imagine all the Rockies and West coast guys not spinning a 36 out quicker than here on the East Coast.

And what is the wheelbase on the medium falling in at?

And is there a nicer person than Chris Wyatt? :D

ollyforster

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
As unfortunate as it is that my bike is out of date, the new one looks too good! Boomslang, could let us know, if you can, any color or graphics options?
Is the red/ white the 2 and the yellow/ black the 1?
Or will we have another color in the frame only option??? I love my 2010 Demo so swinging my leg of this will be no great challenge, just want a sweet color!

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
Hey Jason,

What chain ring size have you settled on in terms of tuning the linkage to? A 36 or 38? I'm running a 36 on my DHR, but I've been able to out spin that once or twice w/ 11-26 and can't help but think 38 would be better overall. I can't imagine all the Rockies and West coast guys not spinning a 36 out quicker than here on the East Coast.

And what is the wheelbase on the medium falling in at?

And is there a nicer person than Chris Wyatt? :D

FSR works more effectively than a single pivot over a wider range of gears. You won't be able to tell any difference in pedalling or plushness from 34 to 38.

The Monster team never runs bigger than 36. I guess that means you are faster than them ::):

Check our website for 2010 geo - pretty much the same.

JC

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
As unfortunate as it is that my bike is out of date, the new one looks too good! Boomslang, could let us know, if you can, any color or graphics options?
Is the red/ white the 2 and the yellow/ black the 1?
Or will we have another color in the frame only option??? I love my 2010 Demo so swinging my leg of this will be no great challenge, just want a sweet color!
I don't know all the final colors yet, but there will be options. The bike pictured on this thread is the top model, and the one the Monster boys will be racing in Champrey. It is actually a neon dayglow red and white.

JC

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
What chain ring size have you settled on in terms of tuning the linkage to? A 36 or 38? I'm running a 36 on my DHR, but I've been able to out spin that once or twice w/ 11-26 and can't help but think 38 would be better overall.
I remember I posed this EXACT same question to Turner when I was building up my DHR, almost word for word. I never got a real response. I got: "Just ride your f'ing bike dude...". I thought it was a perfectly legitimate question since the 40t I ran on it initially would lock out the suspension very badly pedaling over tiny rocks and roots, and I wanted to know if a 36 or 38 would be optimal.

Seems like you already got a better response and you don't even own the bike yet.

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
When do we get to see the new crankset?
That would be a great question for a crank maker :)

The bikes will come with a BlackBox Descendant crankset. It's the crank that the Monster boys ran last season. It is a version of the the Stylo platform, 24mm-ish spindle and threaded external bearings in a DH size.

True BB30DH cranks are a ways off still.

Jason C

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I just got a 2010 Demo, so please tell me that the 2011 will be priced significantly higher. I need something to feel good about!

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I'm amazed people run more than a 36 chainring. 34 is optimal for me and allows more clearance with the smaller bash.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm amazed people run more than a 36 chainring. 34 is optimal for me and allows more clearance with the smaller bash.
I run out of gears in a few places with a 34. A 37 is working well.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Nice details in there.

Wondering if you have to buy these separate: "Shock Extensions will be available for most popular shocks."
speaking of shock extensions, I never really realized why they did it until that article. Having the shock move on ball bearings is such a good idea.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
So the shock is non-proprietary, but you're gonna have to have the rearward eyelet rotated 90 degrees to be clamped into that shock extension thingy. Won't this create problems for some shocks?

Also, the claimed stock weight of 36 lbs is kinda BS, because as we've seen in the past, Specialized specs the Demo with wheels that are worthy of a trail bike, not a DH bike. Most people I know would trash the super-light stock wheels in about a day of real DH riding.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I hope it come is that all black color in the pink bike article. Looks sick.
Now I just need to wait for this bike to come out and sell my 2010.
I wonder if it will be spec with the air shock rear?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I know it will have some advantages over the current demo but it simply looks like an sx trail a fat man sat on. Not my cup of tea. The stealth black and funky polish national color scheme dont work for me either.

Prefer the look of the team 2010 demo .

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
dexterq20 said:
Also, the claimed stock weight of 36 lbs is kinda BS, because as we've seen in the past, Specialized specs the Demo with wheels that are worthy of a trail bike, not a DH bike. Most people I know would trash the super-light stock wheels in about a day of real DH riding.

Yes, but in the world of internet mountain biking, it is still too heavy :thumb:

ollyforster

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
Yo Boomslang, neon dayglo red! Game on, I bet that translates to sick as you like in the flesh! Like most things aye! Still want a black and green one!
So what to do with 2010 one I bought in October??? I bet a few peeps are thinking the same thing at the mo!