Quantcast

ssaddict,aka:Kyle Belenberg died Sunday morning.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I too only knew him on the forums, but prayers are coming out of the down under for Kyle, his family, and friends. That's the worst news I've heard in a while, rest in peace Kyle. :(

The Ito

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm stunned. Life is a delicate and precious thing, it is tragic to loose it so young. I hope Kyle has found peace and I send his family my condolences. His presence will be missed R.I.P.

Noah

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Very sad news and ssaddict was such a positive part of Ridemonkey. I lost a friend and rider the same way a couple of years back. RIP.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I am stunned as well, I got to meet him on a couple trips to Tempe and then we started to have some message board banter here, I was expecting he would be at Bootleg this weekend. He was a great guy and a great rider..........

I can't believe it. :dead:
We(people who ride mountain bikes) just don't ever think you may die from riding your bike on some trail.
Met him once at the bigbear national and we traded each other carbon fiber goodies for our Boxxers like 2 giddie dorks. :cool:

The very presence of this thread represents that this guy was a quality bro.

RIP SS ADDICT :(

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I am just blown away. Just dropped by this. Wow...what can be said.

Cheers brother...ride on!

-ska todd

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
If the way he posted on RM is any indication of his character, we've lost a really quality person in ssaddict. I never met him, but I always appreciated and valued his informational posts on RM.

RIP ssaddict.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wow. I've ridden with Kyle a bunch of times, in fact I was expecting that I might run into him last saturday at South Mountain. I didn't see him unfortunatly. This is just terrible news. My wishes go out to his family.

Here he is from a few years ago tending to his bike (with the monster).

Attachments

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
wow. that is a shock. i've never met him but the few times i did talk to him he seemed really cool. very strange i was about to PM him this morning with a question.
RIP :(

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
OMG! I don't even know what to say. Such a nice guy, I was disapointed that I didn't get to meet him this year at Durango but the only time I saw him was as he was charging down the hill. This is a very sad day :(

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Wow although i didn't know him personally it still hits hard. I use to constantly read his posts and chatter with him back and forward on here.

RIP.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Peace and love to his friends and family. May his positive energy continue to inspire us all.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I can't believe I am reading this. The email I received from a common friend only specified bad news.

Kyle was my room-mate a few years back. I would consider him one of my best friends. I was shocked to see this today and had to leave work. I don't know why I'm typing this other than to say that everyone here has him completely correct. Kyle was one of the nicest people you would ever meet. He rode hard and lived life to the fullest. Any of us would have been truly blessed to have been able to call him a friend.

Anyone with any info, could you please PM me. I'm struggling with what to do from here as I've only just found out and am all the way out here on the East Coast. (DW)

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Thats just terrible. Can somebody please fill in teh whole story? If there are no objections, i would like to copy the story onto my site, so that people can not only pay thier respects, but also perhaps realize how fragile life can be, and better understand the dangers of the sport.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Kyle was a great friend and a great teamate. He was a truly nice guy and one of the fastest people Ive ever ridden with. DH and XC both. I knew he was having problems with the seizures but I dont think anyone was really expecting this. He will be greatly missed.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Wow, I got word last night and now that it's settling in, it's even harder now to believe.

Though I only ran into him at the races, he was definitely a fun one to be around. And as many others have said and know, he was very helpful and he definitely knew his **** when it came to bikes and racing. I was actually staying with him in Durango in '03 when he hit his head and the seizures followed sometime shortly thereafter. Funny thing was, on Saturday night, he was banged up from the crash and complained of a headache, but talking to him you would've never known he was hurting as bad as he was. He just wanted to rest in hopes of racing on Sunday. In the months to come, I had heard that he was having seizures and was going through tests and taking medication to help prevent them. But he hated the medication. It didn't make him feel right when he was riding so when I last ran into him at Idaho this summer '04, his first national since Durango, he was trying to taper himself off the medicine. It said it made him feel "fuzzy" when riding. I can remember him saying that the doctors couldn't really determine why the seizures were occuring, nor what to expect in the future. But what Kyle did know was he wanted to ride. And now this. This really sucks.

I know one thing, as soon as possible, I'm going to go out and replace that damn cheap carbon fiber helmet that I started using this year. I've never had my head hurt so much until this year when I started using that damn thing and would hit my head. It's obviously more important than any of us could imagine. And I feel obliged to say that after losing my mother last year to a possible missed diagnosis of a heart attack, I don't trust those damn doctors out there. I'm beginning to believe that you can never ask enough questions and get enough second opinions.

Godspeed Kyle!

Here's a couple of other websites that may contain some memorial information soon. A good friend of Kyle's has passed on the word to go to www.drunkcyclist.com; which then takes you to a message board, which you can go directly to:
http://www.velocidadsolomente.com/viewtopic.php?t=156&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0