Quantcast

State of the Union: trailbikes for real men.

b1k3_r1d3r

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
how come I get the impression you've been starting threads like this every 6 months ;)

you want a bike with 67 degree HA, but say most heavy trail bike have XC geometry?

I think you're confused son...
Correct. So far I've counted about 11 bikes in this thread alone that fit your demands of geo, and seat tube. What you're asking for is made by a ton of companies. It's not like you're looking for a 5inch travel bike with a 65* HA and 13.5" BB, which is extremely hard to come by with a decent seat tube to climb with.

About half of the bikes listed here are from either Specialized, Trek, or Giant. I say go to your local shops and give those a shot to see how they ride. They all meet your requirements with slight differences.

However, you also mentioned a trail bike for real men. Why do real men need so much travel? I think for a non-DH bike, any trail bike with the same geo (good geo that is) with 5-7inches of travel will pretty much ride all the descents similarly. you may have to try and ride smoother with the lesser travel bikes but that will only make you a better rider. However with the less travel climbing will be a breeze compared to all the extras you get with more travel (weight, inefficient pedaling).

I could be wrong though. my bike has only 3.5ish inches of travel and my wheels are lighter than the ones on my road bike so im probably not a real man. It's never felt inadequate in any trail ride I've ever done though.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
all the people who had a ride on it, where raving about the Specialized Pitch! i did only a short parking lot test and can't say wheter it's good or not, i liked it for the 10 min i rode it.
and it's rather cheap and loooks better than the enduro IMHO.

+1 on the Pitch. This is what I use for XC/AM and I have 0 complaints. The bike did need a few upgrades, but for the price you can get the complete bike for, It wasnt bad (got the 08 Pitch pro on close out for $1900). I would definitely recommend putting a 150 mm fork with adjustable travel (I went with the Lyrik U-turn), and new brakes right away though.

If you have the cash, the new Enduro would probably be a good choice as well...

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I can't bring myself to pour into another post on this subject. There was a thread a while back titled a downhillers trailbike dilemma, where I offered my input. I'm using this now though, a Giant Trance X with a 140mm Revelation. Geo probably won't work for you though with a ~68*, 44.75" WB, and 13.0" BB.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Love my morewood shova so far. The HA is a little on the steep side compared to others but this sucka is fast. I was coming from a turner 4x as my do it all bike, so I was looking for more of a long-travel slalom bike feel than a mini-DH bike. My rides have lots of pedaling, steep climbs, etc so leaning towards the xc end was a good choice for me.

It sounds like the mbuzi would fit your purpose better though.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Well, I was in the same boat a few years ago and got a...SX Trail. I'm 6'2" and got a 2006 XL, which is between a L and XL in normal Specialized sizing. It fits perfect for trail riding and perfectly acceptable for DH. And, plenty of seat post extension. It's a little heavy but coil on both ends and the frame is a little burly.

If I was to replace it I would get the new Enduro and save a few pounds. There are other bikes such as the Nomad or Scratch that would work as well.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I can't bring myself to pour into another post on this subject. There was a thread a while back titled a downhillers trailbike dilemma, where I offered my input. I'm using this now though, a Giant Trance X with a 140mm Revelation. Geo probably won't work for you though with a ~68*, 44.75" WB, and 13.0" BB.

Nice set-up. I'm in the process of getting a longer travel fork for my TX. Nice polish job too! :thumb:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
There are other bikes such as the Nomad or Scratch that would work as well.
The Scratch is a cool bike for freeriding and bike parks, but there was little about it that made me want to spend two hours in the saddle on it.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Another vote for the Morewood Mbuzi. Its an awesome bike that is just as comfortable on long climbs as it is on the descents. One of the few jack of all trades bikes that doesn't seem to be compromised in anyway.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Maybe I don't get it but, didn't he ask for un-interrupted 19" seat tubes? I see a lot of bikes posted that don't meet this criteria.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
nomad2 with a 17O DH lyrik.

i'm riding a size L and have plenty of seat post extension for my 6' 3" of trailriding gnarliness.

has one of the stiffer chassis / rear triangles out there in the lightish frame weight category.

6,000 v ft climbs and techy descents....effortless. well, sort of. :D
Yes.

This is your answer.

I ride this setup (with an 09 Lyric, not the DH, on a med frame) and it rocks. I looked around and tested bikes for 6 months before buying and the nomad descends more like a DH bike than any other "trail" bike I have ridden (giant, yeti, spec, trek, intense, etc.).

Also the rear end is stiffer than similar offerings from intense (although I have not ridden the tracer VP)

Just make sure you don't get an air shock. The nomad felt like crap with a DHX air.

Some people have complained that it blows through it's mid stroke travel too fast, but I don't notice an issue with it.

P.S. Don't get an enduro, specialized in house suspension sucks. I have seen many problems with it. They say they have it fixed but I don't believe them. Plus it will never feel as nice as a good RS or FOX.

Last edited:

AngryBeaver

Chimp
Oct 4, 2009
Whistler Baby!
Chomps-a-lot,
You thought about an Orange Alpine 160 or a Five?? They can come with a CCDB now too.
I have just got myself an Orange 5 while I wait for the big bike to finally arrive, and to be honest, its amazing!! i honestly cant get enough of it!! It handles so well and is just brilliant fun!

Where abouts you riding??

Greg

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Chomps-a-lot,
You thought about an Orange Alpine 160 or a Five?? They can come with a CCDB now too.
I have just got myself an Orange 5 while I wait for the big bike to finally arrive, and to be honest, its amazing!! i honestly cant get enough of it!! It handles so well and is just brilliant fun!

Where abouts you riding??

Greg
Orange stuff looks nice, as always. I'm a big fan of single pivots. Can't get brake jack if you don't hit the brakes! I admit that there's a lot of feedback climbing in the granny, though.

I actually moved back to New Mexico, which is why I need a bike. All I had in the UK was a 09 p2 crmo (excellent hardtail, btw) which I took to skateparks. I hit sherwood forest one time, that was pretty good. Found some big step-downs to session.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Maybe I don't get it but, didn't he ask for un-interrupted 19" seat tubes? I see a lot of bikes posted that don't meet this criteria.
To be fair, I just need a ton of seat adjustment. Slam-o-rama. If there's a little kink at the bottom of the seat tube, it's probably not a huge deal.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Well, I was in the same boat a few years ago and got a...SX Trail. I'm 6'2" and got a 2006 XL, which is between a L and XL in normal Specialized sizing. It fits perfect for trail riding and perfectly acceptable for DH. And, plenty of seat post extension. It's a little heavy but coil on both ends and the frame is a little burly.

If I was to replace it I would get the new Enduro and save a few pounds. There are other bikes such as the Nomad or Scratch that would work as well.
Hmmm, there's more seat tube in them now. And the XL is huge! I'd have to try one to see if there's enough seat tube. I don't mind a bit of weight. My AS-X was 40 lbs and I could keep up with the lycra kids fairly well. If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Orange stuff looks nice, as always. I'm a big fan of single pivots. Can't get brake jack if you don't hit the brakes! I admit that there's a lot of feedback climbing in the granny, though.

I actually moved back to New Mexico, which is why I need a bike. All I had in the UK was a 09 p2 crmo (excellent hardtail, btw) which I took to skateparks. I hit sherwood forest one time, that was pretty good. Found some big step-downs to session.
Have you tried an Orange yet?

I have an Alpine 160 and believe it or not, it pedals really well in all gears (and this coming from a guy who only rides flat pedals). I didn't like my Alpine at first, it simply didn't feel right. That's until I started going though shocks like kidwoo goes through hookers. Having the proper rear shock on that bike is crucial! Right now I have a Pushed RP23 on there and it's money - I like that bike a lot. it's long, so you really need to work it on tight single track, but when it opens up - boy does it go!

BUT - like very single pivot, you need to pay close attention to when you brake. Something I never had to worry about before (on my other linkage bikes). The Orange definitely had tough me a few things about braking (or when NOT to break).

its a fun, simple and low maintenance bike that simply works. no bells and whistles here - just a fun bike to ride.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
BUT - like very single pivot, you need to pay close attention to when you brake. Something I never had to worry about before (on my other linkage bikes). The Orange definitely had tough me a few things about braking (or when NOT to break).
True dat. On my old M1 (which I loved) I could brake anywhere I wanted, but it made me lazy. Single pivots enforce good technique. I also think it should be mandatory for everyone to ride hardtails (if not bmx) exclusively for a few years before they get a license for full suspension.

Single pivots also make you go faster, because it's often worse to be on the brakes than to just rail something. They also encourage doubling out sections rather than plowing.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
True dat. On my old M1 (which I loved) I could brake anywhere I wanted, but it made me lazy. Single pivots enforce good technique. I also think it should be mandatory for everyone to ride hardtails (if not bmx) exclusively for a few years before they get a license for full suspension.

Single pivots also make you go faster, because it's often worse to be on the brakes than to just rail something. They also encourage doubling out sections rather than plowing.
Sounds like you just chose the Mbuzi :thumb:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I was talking to Dave Turner recently about slackening up the HT angle on the new 5spots. I think that with a 67.5 degree HT on a 150mm fork would make that bike SICK. DW link, Dave turner's design and expert craftsmanship, solid frame... I would buy one in an instant.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have to agree with Sir Chomps a Lot-
There are many bikes out there with "good" trail bike geometry (at least geo that I like) but it's hard to find one with the full seat tube. I'm jealous of my shorter friends sometimes, since these interupted seat tubes provide enough adjustment for climbing, and they can fully slam their seats. LUCKY!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Sounds like you just chose the Mbuzi :thumb:
Have to say I agree there. I know i've already given the mbuzi the thumbs up in this tread, but the more you go on about the kinda bike you want the more the mbuzi fits the bill. I ride a shova and its awesome its a little steeper in the head angle and has a little less travel then your looking for but I've used mine from our club xc races to one or two dh races on flatter pedally courses and its never held me back. Although I mainly use it for trail bike duties. You'll love an mbuzi if you can try and organize a test ride on one you should.

Short travel downhill bikes with full length un-interrupted 19-inch seat tubes, relatively steep seat tubes, front der., not too slack head angle(~67), relatively high standover, 14-ish bb height, lightish frame.

What's out there? Basically, I want a SX trail that I can actually put the seat up and take out on XC rides.

There's lots of bikes that are close, but no cigar.

Having just got back from a pedalfest in Sedona and riding a Shova and my bro on an Imbuzi i would say the bigger and slacker Imbuzi.
We both ran 2 rings with DRS chainguide and lots of seatpost extension for the climbs. Throw in wide bars and flats and you sir will be ripping trail DH style.
He was hurting a little more on the climbs but i would think thats the price you gotta pay to have the confidence to go big on a trail bike.

The 2 frames are not far apart travel wise but based on your quote above you'll be happier with that little bit extra that the Imbuzi offers.
Remember too that the Imbuzi and some other trailbikes now have 1.5 steertubes so running slacker headset cups are possible if your looking to tweak the headangle.

Edit: That corsair trailbike pictured is pretty hawt.

Last edited:

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
Corsair bikes with the idler pulley can be a nightmare to keep running. FYI.

I've had a Reign X1 since 2007 and have had it setup anywhere from Whistler to XC riding. Started with a 160mm Lyrik, went to a 180mm 66 rc3. That alone changed the bike from XC/AM feeling to straight up DH point and shoot missile. :weee:

I am now riding it with a 2010 coil 170mm Lyrik DH. Great balance between light and capable. 66 was a bit too much for most riding and I had to launch the bike off huge stuff to get a thrill.

Performance wise, I have never been on a better handling bike that could be transformed with a bigger fork. It just slays trail any way I set it up. Only downside is that with 180mm fork and Whistler, the bearings would not hold up long.

I've tried a few bikes (including Nomad and SXT) trying to be built into more DH bikes. None came even remotely close to as rippin as the Reign X.

For reference I also own a Turner Highline. The Reign X actually handles the steep stuff better than the Highline.

Not sure on the 2010 ones though. Might be a little too light to feel as stable.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
here's my "Real man" Trail bike.......36 pounds, 66 degree HA, 14.2 BB, and a 44.7 wheelbase. I carefully chose a 33 tooth E-13 guidering. This gets me up all the climbs.....long and steep. I ride XC, race some Sport XC races, hit 10 foot hucks and 20 foot gaps on it all day without changing out one part. The wheels and tires are light so it rolls well for the long XC rides, but I trust this bike to handle some serious ****. If you really want a bike for "real man " trail riding I'd stick with your initial instinct and that is to go for something on the stronger/heavier side of things then a "glorified" trailbike with some extra travel.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Have to say I agree there. I know i've already given the mbuzi the thumbs up in this tread, but the more you go on about the kinda bike you want the more the mbuzi fits the bill. I ride a shova and its awesome its a little steeper in the head angle and has a little less travel then your looking for but I've used mine from our club xc races to one or two dh races on flatter pedally courses and its never held me back. Although I mainly use it for trail bike duties. You'll love an mbuzi if you can try and organize a test ride on one you should.
I know. I have a major woody for the mbuzi right now. I am in contact with the us distributor. I'm hoping they can do a build kit that's competitive price-wise with what giant can do, but that might be wishful thinking. We'll see.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Banshee Spitfire. Slack with 66 HA, low BB, and you can put any fork 130-160mm on it. Relatively cheap.
:stupid: This is what I am leaning towards right now. I'm basically looking for the same thing as the OP. The Spitfire is fairly slack and low, but also adjustable geometry. It has a good suspension design, full length seat tube, and is not heavy and overbuilt like many of the bikes mentioned here. After all, I want a trailbike, not another FR bike. For reference my current FR bike is Turner Highline, and current trailbike is original Yeti 575.

Last edited:

euroford

Chimp
Dec 8, 2009
having skipped through most of this thread, i submit for you here, my definition of what a real mans trailbike is.

paperplane

Chimp
Sep 24, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Don't discount the Yeti 7 because of the price. It is an exceptional 'real mans' trail bike. I'm a bit over 6 foot, ride a large 7 with a joplin seatpost and Totem air fork. It climbs well enough, corners well and loves the downhills.
Game Over 2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4336233102_aa45b6880f_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@4336233102@@AMEPARAM@@aa45b6880f
serve_image.pl on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2560/4087966696_c589564a9f_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@4087966696@@AMEPARAM@@c589564a9f

Last edited:

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
:stupid: This is what I am leaning towards right now. I'm basically looking for the same thing as the OP. The Spitfire is fairly slack and low, but also adjustable geometry. It has a good suspension design, full length seat tube, and is not heavy and overbuilt like many of the bikes mentioned here. After all, I want a trailbike, not another FR bike. For reference my current FR bike is Turner Highline, and current trailbike is original Yeti 575.
I just built mine up yesterday with Fox 36 Talas. 30lb, 66 HA, 13" BB height. Climbs significantly better than Intense Slopestyle that I was using as a trail bike. Not as good going downhill obviously.

Attachments

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
The Trek Remedy built up right is a great do it all bike... I had one in 2008 after a bad crash that put me out for the season to rehab on. It climbed great and you didn't have to hold back on the DH runs ether. Mine was about 29lbs with All Mt wheels and tires on it, then had another set of DH wheels with DH tires to throw on it when needed. Put it around 31lbs.

Good luck,

Cecil:thumb:
I forgot about the Remedy and I've seen yours before FCLinder, goes without saying it is on of the best looking DHr's trail bikes i've seen. Looks dope and I'm sure it rides super well as well looking at the numbers.