Quantcast

Stolen BCD---Keep your eyes open---

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I hesitate to post this, but feel there is nothing wrong with it. Back in late 2003 Kyle (Ssadict) RIP and myself traded frames for 2004. Right before his passing I was in contact with him to get my old BCD frame back because it was custom built for ME. Chances are this would be the only custom frame I'de ever have. IT WAS STOLEN JUST PRIOR TO HIS PASSING. It was taken from AZ and would be extremly difficult to sell...

If anybody sees this bike email me ASAP. It is stolen property. http://bcdracing.com/frames/ssaddict/BCDsideshot.jpg

There aren't many of these frames in existence so you might as well just ask whoever you see with it how they got it. If the bike looks bigger, it's probably mine as mine was heaps longer than any other BCD Inedible.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
wow who the hell would be stupid enough to steal one of those.. they are THE most obvious frame out there and only a few around. hope you get it back soon.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
My guess is the guy had NO CLUE what he was taking. I assumed it would show up online somewhere or sold to some kid for a couple hundred bucks. Either way, keep your eyes open! Basically if you see a BCD, question the guy. There just aren't enough in existence for the guy not to know everything about the bike....

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
stoney98 said:
John you're f'in awesome!
I just got lucky. I happened to answer the phone when some dude called in (from an AZ phone number) with some very suspicious questions.

Stay tuned . . .

--JP

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
DHJUNKIE said:
wow who the hell would be stupid enough to steal one of those.. they are THE most obvious frame out there and only a few around. hope you get it back soon.
It will show up...in 1995 I had 4 frames made by nicolai, one of a kind for Leigh Donovan and Brian Lopes...2 for her and 2 for him. One of Lopes' bikes got run over by the trash man at his condo complex then, and someone stole Leighs right out of the garage-right before she left for worlds. One year later some guy showed up at a bike shop 100 miles away offering to sell the bike, he claimed he bought it off a buddy-who made it himself.
Anyway, the guy at the shop was into racing and recognized the bike, got ahold of me and said he would buy it, but to come back tomm. (when I would come over and meet him...show him my 6'1" 145 lbs of flexin muscle)-the guy never came back.

Point being, the BCD will show up...losers are always tryin to make money on their finds.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I think we should delete this thread... If he is bound to find it if some one on this forum is his friend. Or even he could be on this forum.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Chris Herndon got his Team Devo Trek DH stolen back in the day, with all sorts of prototype stuff on it when it was leaning against his truck at Beech Mtn, NC. 1 full year later, Ryan was at college at Western Carolina University and bang...there it sat in some loser's apartment.

The guy said he bought it off a buddy. Ryan went back to Herndon, asked him about what was on it and sure enough..it was his. Ryan apparently went up to the guy and just flat out said...that's my buddies stolen bike...you need to give it up....and now Herndon has it sitting in his garage....last I saw.
Marshall got his car stolen with his Endless on it...they ditched the car and kept the bike?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
mack said:
I think we should delete this thread... If he is bound to find it if some one on this forum is his friend. Or even he could be on this forum.
From the questions this guy was asking, he obviously knew nothing about mountain biking. The odds of him seeing this thread are about 1:1,000,000.

stiksandstones said:
It will show up...
I hope we get this resolved. This was stolen from Kyle the day before he died of a seizure.

stoney98 said:
You might want to get Big Johnny from drunkencyclist or Kyle's parents involved.
Already working on both those fronts, but thanks a ton for mentioning it. I really hope this works out.

Keep your fingers crossed.

--John

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
got the mojo going full throttle.

(same as having my fingers crossed. wishing y'all good luck on this!!)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
stoney98 said:
if you have kyle's parent's number, could you pm me that? I need to talk to them about the $$ from the raffle and the fork. His sister won it!
No way! I didn't know family members could enter a raffle that is within their family. That's one luck of the draw for his sister to win the fork. Crazy shiznit :)

I've heard of some bikes being stolen here in town but it's always been from someone being stupid. A chumba F4 was stolen off someone's front porch (WHY was it on the front porch unattended???) and a Cortina stolen from True maching (as the retard left it outside the grocery store to go get food). I don't feel bad for all people who get their bikes stolen. If you're stupid enough to leave your $3000+ rig out in the open it's gonna get picked.

Now for Kyle's deal it's wrong. It was taken from his garage. The thing going for him is how rare of a bike he had. It makes you want to customize your bike in some way so you know it's yours. If you're Kona got stolen you'd be screwed, but a BCD.....you have a chance. Plus the people who steel these things aren't the brightest cookie in the box.

Good luck on getting that sucker back. It's always just a matter of time until something slips up and people find it. The DH world is just too small to have random one-off's stolen and floating around. It'll come back to this dirtbag, it's called Karma baby.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Bringing this thread to the top. We're getting there as far as tracking the guy down goes. The bike is in the 480 area code, Scottsdale(ish).

Yeah, there is the 1/1000000 chance the guy who stole it will see this thread, but after talking to John, it's a risk I'm willing to take

As you would have guessed, the bike was taken by a guy that had no clue what he was getting into.

With the help from the right AZ monkys I'm pretty confident we can get it back.

If you are an AZ monkey at all affiliated with a bike shop around Scottsdale, and willing to help with this...PM me.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
wow this is good news.

AZ monkeys could get this done it would be a great

think to know that this bike doesn't get painted siver

and sold for $100. that is what happend to mt bro's

race CX bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I definitely haven't seen it in AZ.

Best thing to do would be to let the Cactus Bike/Slippery Pig guys know about it. They (and I sometimes, like this weekend, but not too frequently) ride on the weekends at South Mountain, and usually with Ssaddict before he passed away. They would be the best people to tell though because they travel to races at BC, colorado, other parts of AZ and possibly NM. They have quite a few members to the team and I'm sure they'd pick up on it immediatly if they saw it.

Unfortunatly though, this would probably turn into a deal where the guy who stole it in the first place will never get justice. It'll probably get sold or given away a few times and the guy that ends up with it may have absolutely no idea what it is or where it came from. Not that I don't believe it shouldn't be taken back, but we shouldn't be out with a lynch mob when we find someone riding it.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
JM_ You are right, chances are the guy bought it second hand. He sounded like a confused guy who saw something crazy on a street corner and bought it for 50 dollars. I would be willing to bet this is what happened, which is why I almost considered calling him and letting him know the deal, ask him what he paid for it, and give the gentlemen his money back in return for the safe arrival of the frame back into the right hands....

Then again, it COULD be the guy that took it...

From what John P was saying about the guy, he didn't seem like much of a thief.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
In my experiences with retrieving stolen bikes, the guys who are in possession of the bike always *know* it was stolen. Whether or not they actually stole it, it's hard to know. But once they are confronted about it being hot, they generally high tail it out of there so they don't get in trouble.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Any advice on exactly how to go about getting it back being we have his "name" and tele number would be appreciated btw.

I have an idea, but involving the authorties would be far easier if the law allows...

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Did you guys already google his phone # or try any other searches that might yield an address? Sounds like you have enough info to call the Scottsdale P.D., but it may take some serious explaining, so it may be better for someone to do that in person. In my (limited) experience, however, rarely do the police understand rarity and value in bike stuff.

*Edit: actually, maybe try to talk to someone of the law enforcement profession off the record. Explain the situation and see what they think. Know any cops in your town?

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I tried, it's registered to T-Mobile in AZ, so that means nothing.

Kyle's parents would love to have the bike back just to give them some closure...if it'll help even in the slightest, we need to get that bike back!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
neversummersnow said:
I tried, it's registered to T-Mobile in AZ, so that means nothing.

Kyle's parents would love to have the bike back just to give them some closure...if it'll help even in the slightest, we need to get that bike back!
If you have the phone number and can't do a reverse lookup for an address, I would suggest either you or the guys at Evil call up the guy's number and make up some bull story and thank him for calling E.13 customer service and say you want to send him some free stickers and a t-shirt and need a shipping address.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
neversummersnow said:
First things first, I need some AZ peeps to help me out with being able to apprehend the bike in person. I just want a plan from A-Z
Find out what city it's in and I might be able to help you out. I've got a few friends in AZ.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Can't the police easily find out what billing address is associated with the mobile number?

On one hand, police aren't too spun-up about bike theft; on the other hand, they love catching people. And when you explain that it's a $4000 custom-hand-built bike, not some $80 Walmart job, they might be more interested.

Edit: Maybe address the issue initially to some mountain bike patrolmen if there are any in the area...

MD

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'm surprised that there's no cell phone reverse lookup. The next best thing I guess would be to hope someone on here knows a T-mobile employee and have them look it up in their systems. Hell if you explained it to a T-mobile person on the phone (last resort), they might help you out when you explain the whole story to them.

Even having one of the Evil guys helping on this saying they'll send him some free stuff (as a monthly promo or something) so he'd buy it and get his address and such. That was a really good idea by someone.

It sounds like it's almost there though, on finding it. You got the guy's area code I'm assuming, and an idea where he's living. It's just a matter of time now.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
neversummersnow said:
First things first, I need some AZ peeps to help me out with being able to apprehend the bike in person. I just want a plan from A-Z

Lemme know what I can do here in Phoenix.

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
i do this stuff for a living, will somebody please e-mail me the info, and I can get a # traced throught T-mobile pretty easy, a no-brainer actually. Also if you have the guys name I can get his home add, ssn, parents, relatives, anything with just a couple of key strokes.......

spjauditgroup@hotmail.com

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
lukeduke said:
i do this stuff for a living, will somebody please e-mail me the info, and I can get a # traced throught T-mobile pretty easy, a no-brainer actually. Also if you have the guys name I can get his home add, ssn, parents, relatives, anything with just a couple of key strokes.......

spjauditgroup@hotmail.com
can you tell me where my big bag of various brake adapters is at while yo're at it??? :help:

lukeduke

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
just an anonymous spook. You do not want my number on your caller ID, let's just leave it at that. Even if you are in Canada.......