Quantcast

Sunn Radical

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
There must be one other piece we can't see, because it doesn't look like that bone fully defines the shock's range of motion (it would flop without something else) anyone know where that's located?

Edit: on the old ones, it's simply and extremely long i2i shock, this may be the case with the new incarnation to, which isn't going to make tinkerers happy unless its some kind of clever extension

the diner

Monkey
Jun 19, 2006
Davidson, NC
that linkage is crazy awesome. Here's a question though, why has it taken this long for someone to finally come out with a bike frame/build that is so light

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
that linkage is crazy awesome. Here's a question though, why has it taken this long for someone to finally come out with a bike frame/build that is so light
maybe coz not everyone can afford to put down that amout of cash.... its never really a case whether it can be done or not, its more of are ppl willing to pay that much for it?

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
It's basically just an updated version of the second generation (early 90's) GT RTS- which is essentially what the original Sunn DH bikes were. The only difference (from the original Sunn bikes) is that the linkage attachment point has been moved to the rear axle. And no it's not a Horst Link.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's lighter because it doesn't have as much reinforcement, which probably puts it in the same realm as a socom. So, if you race and don't crash, you're probably going to love it.

I can take my Prophet downhill, but it doesn't make it a downhill bike. I'm anxious to see how these hold up.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
okay I'm curious about the TT lengths on the Radical...can someone here figure out what the EFF TT lengths are for the Long and Short based on the following:

Geo with 200mm fork

Size: Short/Long
Seat tube length: 380/430
Head tube angle: 65,5°/65,5°
Head tube length: 130/140
Chain stays length: 448/448
Wheel base: 1153/1178
BB drop: 25/25
Seat Tube Angle: 70°

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
It's basically just an updated version of the second generation (early 90's) GT RTS- which is essentially what the original Sunn DH bikes were. The only difference (from the original Sunn bikes) is that the linkage attachment point has been moved to the rear axle. And no it's not a Horst Link.

even calling this a gross oversimplification would be pretty generous . . .

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
even calling this a gross oversimplification would be pretty generous . . .
not really? The part about "the only difference" is oversimplification, but the bike shares the same rocker-style suspension as the PDC, Sunn, GT, and the original Gachet sunn bike.

Instead of a very short link and a solid rear, it's a single arm with a very long link.

There are many (hopefully) obvious differences between the bikes, but the suspension design is really not unique. Lowered pivot, cleaned up mainframe, etc.

Not saying that's bad, the Sunn is one of my favorite bikes of all time. If PDC existed, I might be interested in the black hole they call the solaris.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Maybe its the crack talking, but is that bike not just a single pivot,
with that lower link only driving the shock? Or at the most changing
the progression of it.
It is not changing the wheelpath or anything.
Similar to a DHR.
And yes, that bike looks sick.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Man, those tires look good. Maybe I can whip a credit card and commit to 5 Sunn frames and become the US distributor -just to own a Radical.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the progression of it.
Similar to a DHR.
yupp, the single pivot of this kind is the lahar... its just a rising rate single pivot.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
the progression of it.
Similar to a DHR.

word....it's a simple bell crank linkage identical to the dhr's only spread out over more distance and flipped upside down so that the main pivot is based where the linkage articulates on the dhr, and the linkage is placed where the main pivot is on the dhr....

adrian cortina knocked this designed off quite a few years ago(pics anyone?)....i remember riding it at mount snow a few hours before the bike completely detonated......i think he had the frame weight down to something completely ridiculous like 8 lbs or something.....and he hadn't gotten the tubing heat treated yet......

making a durable design where the linkage plays a role in laterally stiffening the bike, but placing it down by the bottom bracket is very difficult to accomplish....this bike looks rad though anyone know the frame weight???

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Nevermind, I am dumb.
I took one look at that grey chainstay and wrongly assumed it was a floating brake arm.:disgust1:
I thought it was a single pivot with a moto linkage, but it is like that old GT.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
the progression of it.
Similar to a DHR.
You are your damn logic, ruining everybody's fun.

Looks like an exceedingly overcomplicated single pivot to me too.

BJ-

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Australia
Winger said:
sunn made a good choice with the 07 x fusion rear shock
bike looks amazing
Sunn are only running the X-Fusion shock on the EVO model now. On the 16.5kg EXO model Sunn is now using a Marzocchi ROCO World Cup with a Ti Spring.

Im already sending a few Radicals to the states for friends, so if anyone is desperate to get one drop me a line. I can always include a few more...

Contact me here: bj@rotaimports.com.au

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Extra pivots??
With a low pivot choice I see minimal bennefits to shock ramping etc gained by the links over say a 224. They're both still going to bump and skip,and with high/low damping now available it sorta has made the bennefits even less. The only gain worthwhile I see is the low slung weight.
You could acheive all the same bennefits with say the Turner design(-2 pivots)accept for possibly low slung weight.
Personally I like the compact simplicity of it(not the pivot height though),I like the older ones lay out better.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
It doesn't have any more pivots than a Turner or Lahar or Kona or any other linkage-driven singlepivot... count em, there's 4.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yeah whoops,I forgot there was no shock bush at one end(ahla RTS).
Count the Lahars though,easy mistake hey,yeah yeah you could class the chain stay as a pivot.