Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
A even lighter, smaller one with 6-8 speeds and closer spaced ratios would be ideal tho, i just wish one of the hub manufacturers would take a punt on the whole idea. :think:
Oh and no news here in NZ from the Zerode boys as far as i know :( pitty

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
A even lighter, smaller one with 6-8 speeds and closer spaced ratios would be ideal tho, i just wish one of the hub manufacturers would take a punt on the whole idea. :think:
Oh and no news here in NZ from the Zerode boys as far as i know :( pitty
Last I heard the bikes are being made by SAPA, Shouldn't be too much further away now. First run is only DH bikes, trail bikes at a later date.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
New lighter, better(?) 11speed Alfine hub coming out from Shimano, would be sick in a bike like this.
Seriously? Even racing (and I do like a pedal) I use maybe 4 speeds. If the track is good (ie steep) I use one maybe 2 if I want to get off the line quick.

A 4 speed gbox would be perfect for DH and it just so happens I have one in the works weighing less than a kilo and very compact.

Last edited:

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
some of us use our dh bikes to go up hill also, and pedal them up. once on the way down I don't shift much either.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Seriously? Even racing (and I do like a pedal) I use maybe 4 speeds. If the track is good (ie steep) I use one maybe 2 if I want to get off the line quick.

A 4 speed gbox would be perfect for DH and it just so happens I have one in the works weighing less than a kilo and very compact.
i agree with joelsman.
my DH bikes have full sized cassettes on them. i ride them everywhere. up hills too

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia

Hmmm, possibly 5 or 6 just so there's no need to change front chainring for different tracks.
The new 11 alfine has closer, better quality gears(smoother shifts), so even though it has too many gears, it's still better than the 8(unless gears are too close).
Your 4 speed sounds great, spill the beans, post pics, start a new thread, make me one, etc etc etc. Guessing it's a mech in a box, yeah?
The shimano 11 may be butcherable to remove some gears, will have to wait to see what's inside.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada

I would love to hear more about this.

TrueScotsman

Monkey
Mar 20, 2002
Scotland
BTW, I was out in NZ recently and met up with Rob Metz (designer of the Zerode bikes)
All I can say is that things are looking really interesting- he is working with a US frame builder at the mo.
Also, you should see his latest (own) carbon fibre Zerode trail bike- WOW!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
done holding my breath. thinking about it more, i wouldnt feel too good buying a bike from a company based on the other side of the world.
Dh bike happening, Will start sending updates out again soon. Just had to change manufacturer. Sorted now, making good progress.

DH First

Trail after

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Rob has been talking with an American builder to help in the production of the bikes. After the Asian Yes Men, the Americans are nice to deal with. Thorough and easy to work with.

While all these delays have been happening (production is scheduled for November), Rob has made himself a tidy trail version of the bike in his garage. Out of carbon.

Check it:

Carbon Zerode trail bike. Made in his garage. Damn.

This is Rob Metz, the man behind the bike. He's no slouch on a bike.

There are a few more pics, but I'll be holding on to them for a while.

I don't think I've ever been this excited about a bike. Roll on November!

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Rob has been talking with an American builder to help in the production of the bikes. After the Asian Yes Men, the Americans are nice to deal with. Thorough and easy to work with.

While all these delays have been happening (production is scheduled for November), Rob has made himself a tidy trail version of the bike in his garage. Out of carbon.

Check it:

Carbon Zerode trail bike. Made in his garage. Damn.

This is Rob Metz, the man behind the bike. He's no slouch on a bike.

There are a few more pics, but I'll be holding on to them for a while.

I don't think I've ever been this excited about a bike. Roll on November!
Yeah Boy! I caught up with Mike Metz over a coffee a couple of weeks ago and inquired about the Zerode. He said it was all go subject to some higher than expected order numbers resulting from having to move production to the US.

Awesome.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
He said it was all go subject to some higher than expected order numbers resulting from having to move production to the US.
Most likely false. Refer previous post. Shoddy factory in asia = not the way to launch the best bike in the world (yeah, I said it)

Most definately true. I want one. Alot. Maybe it will stop me crashing so much. Happy to wait while they sort the manufacture.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
They gotta be releasing the details soon?? I have been interested in this thing for awhile, too. Probably being built by Sapa?? If Nov is the prod date, they'd probably be shipping by Feb??

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Most likely false. Refer previous post. Shoddy factory in asia = not the way to launch the best bike in the world (yeah, I said it)

Most definately true. I want one. Alot. Maybe it will stop me crashing so much. Happy to wait while they sort the manufacture.
Shoddy factory in Asia? For real? Damn you need to look at the world properly.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
why are people so defensive of crappy products coming out of asia, when SOMETIMES, crappy products come out of asia. Generalizations are bad, but come on, evil had teething issues, zerode had initial teething issues, it happens.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hopefully Zerode's teething issues don't make it to production.
i think the deal was they ditched taiwan in favor of 'merkin production so that it didn't. i just hope it someday sees the light of day. there are few frames that i'll buy new...that's one...superco is another...neither are coming any time soon though, apparently.