Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Holy Mother Nature, how did you manage to get that? If there are any other high-res pictures on your disks, please don't hide them from us ;).
It seems, they used every 2nd spoke hole for mounting the secondary sprocket carrier to the hub shell.

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
could be some tight clearance on the top shock mount with larger shocks
the top of the shock/bottom, will get destroyed
I wonder if you could mount the shock upside down. Would give a bit more room between link and spring seat collar and would put the reservoir in a saver place.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I wonder if you could mount the shock upside down. Would give a bit more room between link and spring seat collar and would put the reservoir in a saver place.
yeah, if you look at how the suspension compresses, the reservoir would hit the downtube as mentioned..

Remote reservoir would be by far the best option.
only one person making those :thumb:

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
But would it though, as there is already the cut out/wishbone hole for the reservoir in the downtube as it is??
im guessing the shock will also move forward while getting close to the top of the hole. under full compression the reservoir would seem awful close. maybe thats why the shock is in the position its in

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Yeah I know what you're saying, I'm just wondering if the recess will be enough to clear it in that way. Bit too hard to tell from the pics so far.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
did geometry, measurements, frame sizes etc. ever come out on this frame?
I don't know, but when they do, you can bet one or two people will question them and three people from new zealand will defend them as being THE BEST IN THE WORLD ZOMG and then suggest that we're all a bunch of idiots for questioning what the gods/two dudes from NZ have created...

bwahahaa

monni

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
Finland
did geometry, measurements, frame sizes etc. ever come out on this frame?
Straight outta facebook:

specs stack like this-
Head angle 65
Seat tube angle 57.3
Top tube length 23
Chain stays 16.25
BB height 14"
Head tube dia 1.5
Seat tube dia 30.9
Travel 9.15"
Wheel spacing 150mm

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
I don't know, but when they do, you can bet one or two people will question them and three people from new zealand will defend them as being THE BEST IN THE WORLD ZOMG and then suggest that we're all a bunch of idiots for questioning what the gods/two dudes from NZ have created...

bwahahaa
hahaha and then we'll have another 15 pages of arguments about moar shimz, root beer and god knows what else

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Straight outta facebook:

specs stack like this-
Head angle 65
Seat tube angle 57.3
Top tube length 23
Chain stays 16.25
BB height 14"
Head tube dia 1.5
Seat tube dia 30.9
Travel 9.15"
Wheel spacing 150mm
I was told...

TT for the large is 610mm, small is 565mm

73* effective seat tube angle

64.5* HA

WB lengths change throughout the travel. Short when static and sag point is normal

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Geo is Rad IMO, exactly what I'd want. Maybe a touch slacker, but a headset can do that.
Well done fellas. Now they just have to last, and have no other issues.
Design seems great. Floater option would have been nice, but a bit of brake squat works well, especially with the short stays.
Can't wait to get a ride on one.
and I'm defiantly no Kiwi.
Right is right. Although I don't endorse the use of aluminum.

Last edited:

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand

bwahahaa
:thumb:

Gotta look after your own you know

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Presuming they left the main pivot and gearbox at the very similiar locations as Lahar has had and they didn't modify Alfine hub, which is 135mm wide, to make it narrower I doubt 73mm BB crankset has wide enough q-factor to make space for such a wide part.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Presuming they left the main pivot and gearbox at the very similiar locations as Lahar has had and they didn't modify Alfine hub, which is 135mm wide, to make it narrower I doubt 73mm BB crankset has wide enough q-factor to make space for such a wide part.
reasonable conjecture. the lahar uses a low profile mounting flange / nut for the rohloff that involves cutting the axle ends, and still needs an 83mm bb to clear the frame.

oh, and: OMG, THE H/A IS TOO STEEP & BB TOO HIGH!!!!!

i do like the stubby chainstays however. the only thing i'd change on the lahar.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
It's got an 83 mm bb shell.
And at least it doesn't look like a bong . BOOM
(I'm in no ways serious and not starting a lahar fight .just rip returning)

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
indeed. not much to go wrong there. i've not had a single glitch in 4 yrs. failed tensioner or bad chain perhaps.
zomg teething issues. needs more yaw/torx/shimz/patentz/fendarz to succeed.

it is funny to me how much pressure is on this frame. somebody farts on it in NZ and it gets posted here on RM.