Quantcast

?? super co dh bike ???

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't think the protos are gonna surface at interbike. I do think that Doc has been listening to those who want a mid-travel/mini dh/ trail bike.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
rad, i can wait until next season, hell i need to wait that long to save up the dough to get one!...i am just pretty psyched on this.

doc I hope you are listening...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
the jackshaft is how old now?

the Racelink is over 8 years old. yes i love how the jackshaft and floater felt. i also loved my RL. best longest lasting bike out there for me.

but times are changing. i need something new. but a lot of the bmw owners are more of the "if its not broke, why fix it" i feel that too. but 8 years is a damn long time. i'm ready for a new bike to last me another 8 years. there's too many new options out there with parts. and even rear shocks. the RL came out when there really wasn't anything innovated out. now we have options, and with Doc's experience. we get to see something wonderful.

i can't wait. i have a nice DH parts groupo waiting

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
the jackshaft is how old now?

the Racelink is over 8 years old. yes i love how the jackshaft and floater felt. i also loved my RL. best longest lasting bike out there for me.

but times are changing. i need something new. but a lot of the bmw owners are more of the "if its not broke, why fix it" i feel that too. but 8 years is a damn long time. i'm ready for a new bike to last me another 8 years. there's too many new options out there with parts. and even rear shocks. the RL came out when there really wasn't anything innovated out. now we have options, and with Doc's experience. we get to see something wonderful.
I'm confussed, you loved it, felt great, why, apart from geometry would you need anything else? I don't get it. What suspension design is better? All the other players are burning out their marketing and slowly cloning the RLs wheel path and feel. Apart from a gearbox, lower BB, shorter stays,slacker, and shock options, I'd take an RL with those mods over anything, lighter tubing would be better still. Gearboxs really are great, but not great enough to take a poorer design over the RL.
i can't wait. i have a nice DH parts groupo waiting
So you will be getting one?:crazy:

Last edited:

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
dude the old RL, has a super High BB, long ass wheel base, and steep headtube. i've ridden MANY newer DH bikes in the last 8 years. that ride faster, turn better, and don't cost $8000 to just get it down to 42lbs. i'm not in that life style anymore. i won't do big gaps anymore, i don't need a pig of a bike.

yes the jackshaft is a good idea. but really, come on. i loved the high pivot and floater more than the jackshaft. i'll live with my der jumping around. there's been some advancements in shifting technology in the last 8 years.

besides, you're a ****ing moron to think that the SR6 or SR8 is really a good bike. its just a super cheap no tech version of a racelink. i can't believe they are still using 4130 steel. and they're charging that much. now they've just gone backwards. its 1999 all over again

i hope doc drops the jackshaft design. and moves on. i bet there's a **** load of radical designs in his head that are just waiting to come out.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Like the jackshaft, but it would be nice to see it replaced with an IG hub, similar to the gt, lahar and nicolai designs. Then we could drop derailleurs and move on.

Otherwise the jackshaft works...i like not hitting my chainring on everything.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
if you're going to build a (decent) high pivot, you've got to deal with the chainline, so that means an idler or jackshaft. the shaft is heavier, but can make for a nice compact & burly drivetrain. i think it can still be relevant in a contemporary design (and there's a a few idler bikes out there already). i'm guessing doc is going to stick with a single pivot design regardless. pretty hard for a micro shop to develop multi link suspension (and the market is flooded with 4 bar iterations already). of course the (rl) layout is somewhat condusive to gearbox applications - if you could squeeze a gearhub in front of the main pivot (a la lahar), you'd be good to go. the tensioner for the primary chain (eccentric bb) is already there. hmmm...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
did anyone else notice that on the wcrl, which is rumored to weigh in at 39 lbs, there are 98-99 era gustavs? I know they work, but they're also the heaviest brake possible. Doc must love his maggies.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you're going to build a (decent) high pivot, you've got to deal with the chainline, so that means an idler or jackshaft. the shaft is heavier, but can make for a nice compact & burly drivetrain. i think it can still be relevant in a contemporary design (and there's a a few idler bikes out there already). i'm guessing doc is going to stick with a single pivot design regardless. pretty hard for a micro shop to develop multi link suspension (and the market is flooded with 4 bar iterations already). of course the (rl) layout is somewhat condusive to gearbox applications - if you could squeeze a gearhub in front of the main pivot (a la lahar), you'd be good to go. the tensioner for the primary chain (eccentric bb) is already there. hmmm...
I've taken a close look at the main pivot area of the RL, and I really don't think there's enough space for a gearhub in there without running into clearance issues with your knees.

However, the setup that is there is VERY conducive to have a geared hub or an OBD in the bottom portion of the front triangle.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
dude the old RL, has a super High BB, long ass wheel base, and steep headtube.That's all the things I said I'd like changed. i've ridden MANY newer DH bikes in the last 8 years. that ride faster, turn better, and don't cost $8000 to just get it down to 42lbs. i'm not in that life style anymore. i won't do big gaps anymore, i don't need a pig of a bike.

yes the jackshaft is a good idea. but really, come on. i loved the high pivot and floater more than the jackshaft. i'll live with my der jumping around. there's been some advancements in shifting technology in the last 8 years.

besides, you're a ****ing moron to think that the SR6 or SR8 is really a good bike. its just a super cheap no tech version of a racelink.I've never passed comment on the SRs compared to the RL. i can't believe they are still using 4130 steel. and they're charging that much. now they've just gone backwards. its 1999 all over again

i hope doc drops the jackshaft design. The jackshaft is 1 bearing, 1 shaft, 1 sprocket and 1 bolt heavier than an idler set up, oh and I guess a tad of chain, it's a reasonable trade for ground clearance. Perhaps the new frame may give the owner the option of idler or jack shaft.and moves on. i bet there's a **** load of radical designs in his head that are just waiting to come out.
10 characters

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
10 characters
alright, so you and i are on the same page. you just have much better grammar then i. sorry mate.

i'm just so disappointed in how that company has become. its now ran by children. and they're just all out to make money. and not have any backing anymore. sigh.

I just know, anything that Doc and Terry come out with. Whether it fits my style or not. it will be of Quality.
the Quality of how its made, what parts are being used, and the backing of Quality people you can trust.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Site will have a pewsy update on this in a week or two.

Proto's not done yet, we're about 5 wks behind our preferred schedule. Set it loosely because it's another bunch of 'firsts' for the new shop (ie: having to outsource proto parts without luxury of in-house CNC).

However the outsourced links just received two scrutinizing thumbs up and we're moving forward again. Big thanks to Damon (threepointtwo) for the shop referral. Very very impressive operation.

We want to ride the bojangles out of this bike since it's testing the limits in a few new areas. I picked up the front triangle for the first time the other day and it practically took off like a helium balloon. Drop outs and gussets look like elegant jewelry. Etc.

Doc thinks most people who are interested to see this bike will find it anti-climatic. I think DHS will be the only one yawning since we're not reinventing the wheel as he was hoping. ;)

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
so what was doc riding at the sundance race? was that a bmw? because it kinda looked like one but not really