Quantcast

<#> tardy thursday gmt <?>

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I own no cast iron, so forgive my dumb questions.
Why or when do you go cast iron vs something like stainless steel?
I'm looking at a couple of SS pieces, wondering when I'd want cast iron instead.

@jdcamb? Care to comment too?
heating consistency and when seasoned properly, pretty much the best non-stick coating possible.

this is my *8th* cast iron skillet (this includes a dutch oven). amazon had the lodge 3.5" on sale for $5. i wanted one small enough to cook a single egg in the appropriate size for a breakfast sandwich.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Was relatively awful if it's the same thing I had.
I might have had a whiff of it. Felt a bit off Monday-yesterday and that giant mid-day poop about which I kindly posted (did the needful)

At least my bowels are working fine today!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Frikkin hell, as if I wasn't already disgruntled with this job, now I can see all of the annual bonuses flowing through the system and the fact that me and my staff are not included. Project bonuses for everybody on that team except for me and my analyst.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Frikkin hell, as if I wasn't already disgruntled with this job, now I can see all of the annual bonuses flowing through the system and the fact that me and my staff are not included. Project bonuses for everybody on that team except for me and my analyst.
just turn off the server that processes them. that'll get everyone's attention.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I found a single stall bathroom at the other end of the building that is empty. Pooping in peace is highly underrated in the office environment.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'm looking at a couple of SS pieces, wondering when I'd want cast iron instead.

I have 2 Cast Iron Pans. A 16" grill pan and a regular 12". I use them for most everything. I inherited them. I find them to be very useful. I can Bake with the regular pan. Use it for camping and grilling. I have always used Cast Iron. Just have. I have a few Stainless Pans. They do everything any other Pan does. Its just preference I guess. If I saute with Butter I use Cast Iron. Oils I use the Stainless. Not always though.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just discovered I had posted in the sympathy GMT, not happy I wasted a post. Who do I file the complaint with?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO GET ANY WORK DONE!

8:30-9:30 conf call
9:30-10:30 meeting
10:30-12:00 webex
1:00-2:00 meeting
3:00-4:30 meeting

And then these same assholes that book these meeting bitch when work doesn't get done.
i would find a set of stairs to fall down...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
heating consistency and when seasoned properly, pretty much the best non-stick coating possible.

this is my *8th* cast iron skillet (this includes a dutch oven). amazon had the lodge 3.5" on sale for $5. i wanted one small enough to cook a single egg in the appropriate size for a breakfast sandwich.

Cast iron is the bomb. Pretty much all I use anymore with exception for specific things. Couple Lodges, couple Field and just bought a Smithy chef that’s dope. When Teflon starts falling off you realize it sucks. Cast iron for life.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Cast iron is the bomb. Pretty much all I use anymore with exception for specific things. Couple Lodges, couple Field and just bought a Smithy chef that’s dope. When Teflon starts falling off you realize it sucks. Cast iron for life.
right now the only other cast iron i want to add to my collection is a wok. and maybe a flat square pan, already have a square griddle.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

Can I become a Prospect in your Gang?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
right now the only other cast iron i want to add to my collection is a wok. and maybe a flat square pan, already have a square griddle.
Try carbon steel if you are feeling adventurous some day. Similar cooking experience to cast iron, just a bit lighter, more slippery, and more responsive. It's a good medium between stainless steel (uncoated, of course) and cast iron.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Stainless is great for building up fond, which you can deglaze after with wine or broth to make a nice sauce. Im a bit more leery using my cast iron with liquid, you put something too acidic in there and you'll risk stripping off the oil that keeps it protected. You do have to be careful with tomato in stainless as it can come away with a coppery sort of taste. Not good.