Quantcast

Tell me about fruita

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So i next friday 3/23/07 fellow monkey and I along with some other guys are going on a 10 day riding vacation out west. Our plan right now is to fly into salt lake (where i have a buddy to stay with) on friday and drive to fruita saturday morning ride in fruita til Tuesday then drive to moab to finish out the trip.

I know a bunch of you guys have ridden the area before, i want to get thoughts on what you like what you dont like...Places to eat/stay...

We will both be riding light freeride bikes that are entirely pedalable but are looking for the best riding.

I checked out this site:

www.gofruita.com

But i want some monkey feeback...

PS make fun of brungeman since he totally bailed.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'm sure the resident guy who rides in hot pants will chime in.

I never went down there when I lived there. I just watched Petes videos.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
some of the pictures i have seen from there look incredible, im not sure if i am more excited to go to moab or fruita...totally different places...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
You will love it for sure!

I prefer FU over Moab for the singletrack aspect.

In FU I recommend:

Kokopellis (Loma exit)

You can cover most of the trails in one day if you're in good shape.

Must do trails:

Horsethief Bench (try to clear the entrance downhill)
Moore Fun (east to west = easier)
Lion's loop (tech mid section is really fun!)
Mary's loop singletrack
Mack Ridge

Bookcliff's area (18th road):

All the frontage trails can be covered in one day

Must do trails:

Joe's Ridge (short but intense)
Zippity Do dah (like Joe but more technical - ride the original lines)
Kessel run (Crank the big gear, great slalom)
Chutes and Ladder (Steep up and down)

If you feel adventurous and like to suffer big time you can try the Edge Loop (IMBA Epic) Some like it, some say its not worth it, but the I guess you have to do it to know it.

Grand Junction

You can alson cover most of the good trails in one day

Must do trails:

All of the singletracks!

Can't tell you more, never been there yet, but I'll be taking car of this situation this spring!

Rabbit Valley (between Moab and Fruita)

You got a few days ride over there. More remote and less crowded.

Must do trails:

Western Rim
Rim Trail
Westwater/Overlook
Zion Curtain

Moab

Less singletracks in Moab, more out and back, but still lots of great trails!

Must do trails:

Porcupine Rim (one of my all time favorite!)
Slickrock (Totally different to naythng you ever ridden, do-it once kinda trail though)
Sovereign (Moab's singletrack trail)
Amasa back (quick out and back with a nice DH option on the return loop (forgot the name... you have to turn left at the pipes on your way back)
Bartlett Wash (freeride playground, no actual trail, lots of drop options)
Gold Bar rim, Poison Spider, Portal are all good I gather, never done them, will do this spring.

Have a good trip!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah we have ridden moab a bunch have not gotten to the soviergn trail or the portal yest so we are planning on working them into the loop.

We are in pretty good shap id say, i dont usually pedal the fr bike on full blown xc but it shouldnt be to bad...Anyway about Fruita the Kokopellis are all the trails listed in that area? Any good place for maps or shops to talk to guys who know the area? Are the trails well marked?

Just trying to be knowledgeable of the area prior to heading out.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
yeah we have ridden moab a bunch have not gotten to the soviergn trail or the portal yest so we are planning on working them into the loop.

We are in pretty good shap id say, i dont usually pedal the fr bike on full blown xc but it shouldnt be to bad...Anyway about Fruita the Kokopellis are all the trails listed in that area? Any good place for maps or shops to talk to guys who know the area? Are the trails well marked?

Just trying to be knowledgeable of the area prior to heading out.
When you come into town, go straight to Over the Edge Sport (forget the name of the street) They sell a guide that is very well made, it will be your bible for your trip to Fruita. It covers the Bookcliff's area, Kokopelli's, Grand Junction and Rabbit Valley. Most of the time they will be very helpfull in pointing you in the right direction. Most trails and well marked (better than Moab) and route are easy to find since no trees in the way! With the big bike I would avoid the Edge Loop...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jozz has a bunch of good info. I'd recommend Moore Fun west to east, however.

And in Junction, make sure you do The Ribbon, Eagle's Wing, and Holy Cross. :thumb:

Oh - and in Rabbit Valley I'd only recommend riding if the sand is under control. Which this time of year it might be. When the sand is in full bloom Rabbit Valley is a mess.

rky mtn srfr

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
Boulder
some of the pictures i have seen from there look incredible, im not sure if i am more excited to go to moab or fruita...totally different places...
Moab, ehh, it's pretty

Fruita, Bookcliffs=buttery singletrack bliss. Peddle up the road, rail down the s/t, repeat repeat repeat until your cooked, then take a nap and do it again.

rky mtn srfr

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
Boulder
And in Junction, make sure you do The Ribbon, Eagle's Wing, and Holy Cross. :thumb:

Oh - and in Rabbit Valley I'd only recommend riding if the sand is under control. Which this time of year it might be. When the sand is in full bloom Rabbit Valley is a mess.
The Ribbon, better have a good map, compass, and a lot of water or someone that knows where they're going. It's not marked well and gets confusing down in the gullies.

Rabbit Valley is blown out w/moto's on the wknds, don't bother unless it's mid week.

This should help, http://www.co.blm.gov/gjra/bikinghp.htm

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
The Ribbon, better have a good map, compass, and a lot of water or someone that knows where they're going. It's not marked well and gets confusing down in the gullies.
Have you been there lately? They glued some little "traffic" flap things on the upper slickrock. It's easier following than it used to.

Try to avoid missing the left turn in the wash and riding off the 30 foot cliff, though. :shocked:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
When you come into town, go straight to Over the Edge Sport (forget the name of the street) They sell a guide that is very well made, it will be your bible for your trip to Fruita. It covers the Bookcliff's area, Kokopelli's, Grand Junction and Rabbit Valley. Most of the time they will be very helpfull in pointing you in the right direction. Most trails and well marked (better than Moab) and route are easy to find since no trees in the way! With the big bike I would avoid the Edge Loop...
Jozz,

I will try to drag ManhattanPrjkt with me to MonkeyFest this year... He was supposed to come last year, but bailed on me! :disgust1:

he is faster than I on most days, and def. in better shape, so I think he can do ok even if he is riding his 35pound FR bike :disgust1:

Manhattan, Jozz is one of the ride leaders for last years "rocket fast" fast ride (part of the French Connection) :thumb:

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Yeah Jozz sounds like he knows his stuff. We only rode there one day but Moore Fun was great and we did some of the loops. We stayed in Grand Junction and they have a brewery that I liked a lot. Not old enough to drink but the food was good. Otherwise they have a lot of chains to eat at. In Moab, we again only rode one day but Soveirgn was very fun. Both places are beautiful and if you have time you should check out Arches and Monument Valley.

rky mtn srfr

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
Boulder
Last time I rode it was last fall, and helped point some peoples in the right direction. It's definitely a fav of mine. Any markers will be good there. Heading back out in a couple weeks, can't wait :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Oh - and for food. Defintely hit up Pancho Villa's just across the street from OTE Sports - good break burritos and rellenos. And TFG out by the highway is pretty good for dinner. Both Mex-ish food.

There have been rumors for awhile about a brewpub on main in Fruita but I'm not sure if it has ever actually opened.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
so should we stay in grand junction? How far is that from Fruita?

Wow i am getting more and more stoked on riding this place, so is there anywhere to stay that would be close to trail heads so we can just pedal?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ok yeah and from what i am seeing looks like tire choice should be a tough one, i am thinking about running a yellow kirin 2.3 front and a 2.3 larson tt on the back otherwise i am also bringing a 2.5 nevegal.

I like large volume but most of this seems pretty buff.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ok yeah and from what i am seeing looks like tire choice should be a tough one, i am thinking about running a yellow kirin 2.3 front and a 2.3 larson tt on the back otherwise i am also bringing a 2.5 nevegal.

I like large volume but most of this seems pretty buff.
18 Road is buff singletrack. Pretty much everything else is rocky. Some of it is *really* rocky.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I would run 2.3's. Threads is not that important as long as you got good side knobs for the loose stuff. Traction is at a premium with all the rock surfaces.

Foremost, don't invest on a new set of tires since they will get used and abused on the not so gentle rock surfaces.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah i have more tires lying around than you can imagine...i think light weight 2.3's might be the way to go, i shipped my bike out last week with a 2.5 nevegal on the front (2.3 actual size) and a yellow kirin back...I think the larson might not be a great choice for the super rocky stuff...ill keep that one for moab.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think there might be a motel in Mack.... but I'm not sure. That would be within pedaling distance of the Mary's loop trails.

And you can camp right at the base of the Bookcliffs on 18 Road. Ride right out of the campground onto all those fun trails.
i dont know that we have decided we will be camping it would be nice to do so and save some jing...Are the camp grounds nice? Showers and what not?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
It's theoretically rideable. Not by me or anyone else I've ever seen. It's ridable about 1/2 way, then deteriorates into a bunch of 3' drops and sand. Ascentrek mangled some parts on his Bullit giving it the ol' college try. :thumb:

I give it a few tries each times, but like SS is saying, half way down better chose the right line cause you get in trouble quick. Its steeper than it looks. If you keep your left its do-able with lots of travel and some skills. I once made it 2/3 but bailed due to lak-o-balls. :disgust1:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I give it a few tries each times, but like SS is saying, half way down better chose the right line cause you get in trouble quick. Its steeper than it looks. If you keep your left its do-able with lots of travel and some skills. I once made it 2/3 but bailed due to lak-o-balls. :disgust1:
Yeah - there always appears to be a line right through the middle of the drops with a big rock ramp going down, but at the end of the ramp are a bunch of OTB rocks and loose cobbles and copious amounts of sand.

The only video I've seen of anyone cleaning it was on PF's site and they took a *far* right line down the gnarly stuff.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Yeah - there always appears to be a line right through the middle of the drops with a big rock ramp going down, but at the end of the ramp are a bunch of OTB rocks and loose cobbles and copious amounts of sand.

The only video I've seen of anyone cleaning it was on PF's site and they took a *far* right line down the gnarly stuff.
Only one I saw too.

Once stayed there for a while to see if someone would make it down... most would not even give it a go. I for sure always have someone filming in case I one day make it down.... or crash and burn!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Only one I saw too.

Once stayed there for a while to see if someone would make it down... most would not even give it a go.
I usually ride it about 1/2 way down. Right to the point that the ramp goes down. But you're right - most people don't try any of it. Of course, it's an intermediate trail other than the entrance exam so I would expect alot of the people heading out there *shouldn't* be riding that part. :D

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Of course, it's an intermediate trail other than the entrance exam so I would expect alot of the people heading out there *shouldn't* be riding that part. :D
That, and there's a part about midway where you have to squeeze between a tree and a rock wall, after that you have a few funky move up and down rocks... love that section! :thumb:

Only 29 days left! :monkey:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
It's theoretically rideable. Not by me or anyone else I've ever seen. It's ridable about 1/2 way, then deteriorates into a bunch of 3' drops and sand. Ascentrek mangled some parts on his Bullit giving it the ol' college try. :thumb:
sounds like the perfect place to put the newly totem equiped bottlerocket to work, i will keep you guys posted on how a fare...

wow i just read further into the thread, this seems like it is total gnar...I havent heard of many places anywhere where noone has been able to ride it...I like to descend but i dont know that im THAT good at it...I dont want to f up my body and gear on one of the first few days...

Where exactly is that DH on which trail?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
sounds like the perfect place to put the newly totem equiped bottlerocket to work, i will keep you guys posted on how a fare...

wow i just read further into the thread, this seems like it is total gnar...I havent heard of many places anywhere where noone has been able to ride it...I like to descend but i dont know that im THAT good at it...I dont want to f up my body and gear on one of the first few days...

Where exactly is that DH on which trail?
That's Horsethief. It is gnar. The main problem is front tire-stopping rocks right after the drops and the drops are clustered closely. You can't just huck 'em.

Stay right - it might be doable.

Watch the sand. Careful of the loose cobble.

Take video.

rky mtn srfr

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
Boulder
my buddy an I both rode it back in tha day. was a little easier then too, not so eroded at the bottom. anymore it's a logjam of people walking anyways :twitch: once ya get past the logjam, it's fun twisty s/t with some sharp hairpins to speedcheck ya

imo, a 2.5 is overkill and extra rotational weight for Fruita (peddling). 2.35 minions are all the tire i want out there.

You'll be stoked