Quantcast

The big S crashes the 10 speed party

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
on the other thread, I've allowed myself to be convinced that 10sp *could* be better. But I agree with Cant Climb, I would rather see it 1x10 than 3x10. For the riding I do around here anyways. I think that with a 11-36 cogset and a 32 front ring, I wouldn't need a granny. And I haven't used a large ring in over a decade.... no front derailleur? sweet.
Sweet, 1x9 with 11-36 to 11-39T in Ti for slightly less or similar pricing to SRAM's steel XX cassette:

http://store.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=4645614

http://store.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=4645634

Our Titanium Cog Sets feature our own unique “Shark Tooth” design. This tooth configuration needs no shifting ramps, delivering flawless gear changes with or without high pedal power as when climbing and downshifting. With our non gated cogs, the cog will not grab the chain and make a ghost shift. Our cogs are separate from each other. This transmits power directly to the hub without the need for a spider. This allows a change of any cog due to damage, wear or a change in your gear ratio, without changing the complete cog set. And, with our “Shark Tooth” design, every tooth has a point, not a flat on top like other cogs. So when the chain makes a shift it can't ride the top of the flats, delaying the shift. It drops on one side or the other, completing the shift. Weight: 136 gr - 237gr.

Our Titanium Cog Sets include our special non floating, sealed cartridge bearing jockey pulley. This pulley plays an important part in the smooth shifting of the cog set. The pulley’s hub is bolted solid to the lower derailleur arm. The sealed cartridge bearing is pressed onto this hub, then the outer wheel is pressed onto the outer race of the bearing. This design totally eliminates any side play even if the bearing wears a little.

Action-Tec’s 11 Tooth Titanium Cog is included. This little beauty drops weight and kicks your gears up a notch. When we first made this 11 tooth cog, you could only buy 12 and 13 tooth first position cogs. It comes with a special spacer for 7, 8, or 9 speed Shimano compatible cassette bodies. It’s constructed as a one piece lockring and cog. You don’t need a steel lockring with this cog.

#Use these to create a 2x8/9 or 1x8/9 drivetrain with a wide range of gears. 3x8/9 not recommended
#Stronger and more durable than steel cogs unlike some competing Ti cogs
# Includes non-floating upper pulley, Ti prep and a shim
# Integrated 11 tooth cog/lockring
# Handmade in the USA
# Choose from 11 through 19 then 21 23 24 25 27 28 30 32 34 36 38 39
# Available in 8 and 9 speed clusters with 36, 38, or 39T big cogs, see our store for other configurations

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Having a granny makes good sense to me. I rode my road bike at lunch today and it has a triple up front. I was blown up and sore as crud and no way was I gonna dump my guts out to turn the middle up the road I climbed.

Shimano isn't re-inventing anything, but making it less likely to jam up a granny to middle shift, which is by far and away the biggest pain of a 22/32 jump. The other 90% of riders in the world may just ride their bikes a little more thanks to having a granny ring that is less of a hassle. And that is what pays the bills is the lil folk.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
This same line of marketing will be used time and time again, its only whether you believe it or not. "you know those old 9 speeds you have, that are totally sweet with the "perfect" gear ratios from last year, well we have moar bettar ratios with moar gears. buy our ___ speed because last years ___ speed isnt good and efficient, but this is the last time, dont worry"

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I was cruising around sea otter yesterday when dude starts going off about 10speed XT. all I could do was keep asking why there's 2 more gears than I wanted