Quantcast

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
next car will likely be something warm and generic. Mazda CX5? Some kind of subaru thing? I like the jeep GC but A) FCA and B) dreadful MPG. I'd consider a RAV4 prime but the cost is high and I'd rather go for cheap wheels this time around. Maybe lease a Sorrento?

I'd love a machstange but, after my experience with the year 1 alfa, am cagey about new model year vehicles.
We've got a CX-5, and it's a pretty good little car overall. Biggest annoyances for me are the entertainment system interface, and an exhaust drone at 28 mph. Otherwise, it hasn't given us any trouble, looks good, and feels pretty sporty compared to some of the other crossovers.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Also, if it matters to you the packages like EyeSight and Honda Sensing are only available with non-manuals.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sedan.

I like the eyesight stuff, but for 99% of my driving I don't need it. The only thing I really like having is the automated collision prevention around town. Out on the highway I loved lane alert and smart cruise, but I'm rarely on the highway.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

One of the best quotes from @Sandwich his own damn self: "maybe RM will be able to make fun of me //After all." :D
Omg, these keep getting better:
it's an italian car with chrysler parts. what could possibly go wrong?
The most important question will be what kind of loaner will they give you when it is in for warranty repair. Otherwise I support this message.
You should have just bought the ///M. :rofl:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ok. Halfway through and I have to get back to work. That thread is priceless.

ooh, they just moved the red rwd giulia from the crappy dealership to the one near me with great lease deals...hmmm, maybe RM will be able to make fun of me //After all.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I can't bring myself to buy a minivan, but it's nice to hear that the Pacifica has been good. They look cool.
I rented a Pacifica a year ago on a trip, very nice for a van.

The new RAV4 is a toilet. CX-5 is nice but the infotainment system is difficult to navigate.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
We've got a CX-5, and it's a pretty good little car overall. Biggest annoyances for me are the entertainment system interface, and an exhaust drone at 28 mph. Otherwise, it hasn't given us any trouble, looks good, and feels pretty sporty compared to some of the other crossovers.
what year? My 2019 is cool... have the GT package w/ nav...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Rents have the new Subaru ascent. I assume it has the cvt. Drove it back to the high country and it wasn’t bad. Mind you, I’m currently comparing against fca, which is bad. The Subaru actually anticipated hills and didn’t run away.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
parents just got rid of theirs....that thing sounded like a pile of shit every time you started it from day one....

waiting for dad to unload the toyota tundra he does not need anymore and see what he gets....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Rents have the new Subaru ascent. I assume it has the cvt. Drove it back to the high country and it wasn’t bad. Mind you, I’m currently comparing against fca, which is bad. The Subaru actually anticipated hills and didn’t run away.
Wife has an Ascent. It is a very decent car to drive around. It has pep and is built well, but it is a ponderous boat for somebody who appreciates how a car handles. The CVT is the worst part- it never seems to want to cooperate with what I would like it to do. Accelerating from a stop? How does 4000 RPM sound, even though you're doing 2mph. Got up to 30? How about 900 RPM- that sound good? Oh, you're still accelerating? Back up to 4000 it is!

On the flipside, the ZF in my alfa is almost telepathic, and probably 50% of the reason I would consider a JGC or 300 as a new car. If canadian build quality is better than italian and the drivetrain is like 6/10 as good as the alfa, that would be a nice car to have. Which FCA product are you talking about?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wife has an Ascent. It is a very decent car to drive around. It has pep and is built well, but it is a ponderous boat for somebody who appreciates how a car handles. The CVT is the worst part- it never seems to want to cooperate with what I would like it to do. Accelerating from a stop? How does 4000 RPM sound, even though you're doing 2mph. Got up to 30? How about 900 RPM- that sound good? Oh, you're still accelerating? Back up to 4000 it is!

On the flipside, the ZF in my alfa is almost telepathic, and probably 50% of the reason I would consider a JGC or 300 as a new car. If canadian build quality is better than italian and the drivetrain is like 6/10 as good as the alfa, that would be a nice car to have. Which FCA product are you talking about?
Programming is what makes or brakes a ZF. IME, BMW pretty much nailed it. Chrysler, but at all. I would not recommend to buy based on a car just having a certain trans, IME.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
parents just got rid of theirs....that thing sounded like a pile of shit every time you started it from day one....
That describes every Subaru I have driven and I have driven a lot of them. I have been in 1 year old, 2,000 mile Crosstreks that sound and ride worse than my 2014 Hyundai Accent. I must say the Kool-Aid is strong with the Subaru klan until they open their eyes and see what else is out there :bonk:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That describes every Subaru I have driven and I have driven a lot of them. I have been in 1 year old, 2,000 mile Crosstreks that sound and ride worse than my 2014 Hyundai Accent. I must say the Kool-Aid is strong with the Subaru klan until they open their eyes and see what else is out there :bonk:
My wife’s ascent grenaded its transmission at 9k miles. It took a month to get a new one. I’m not sure I’d call Subaru reliable.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Programming is what makes or brakes a ZF. IME, BMW pretty much nailed it. Chrysler, but at all. I would not recommend to buy based on a car just having a certain trans, IME.
The 8hp50 in the charger rt I tested felt close to the 8hp40 in the Alfa. The 8re45 in the v6 300 and v6 jgc not so much

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Anyone here consider a Ram?
older brother still regrets selling his 12V 2500 extra cab....when they were dodge....and not luxury vehicles....

what are you going to use it for?

are you going to be afraid of scratching/denting it?

is the heaviest thing it is going to carry a bike draped over the tailgate?

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I've been calling all Subaru's pieces of shit for 15 years but what do I know :s
this wasn’t my experience, however mine was a manual from 2005. Consumer Reports suggests their reliability is above average to good.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Tough to see what else is out there through the white haze of combusted coolant.

Anyone here consider a Ram?
I own one. 2017 3500 with the 6.7CTD. 47k miles on the clock, no complaints.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

:nope:
this wasn’t my experience, however mine was a manual from 2005. Consumer Reports suggests their reliability is above average to good.
My 04 Forester had the transmission fail because of my own doing (50% more power than designed for). Everything else was going strong with no issues at 118k when I sold it.
My current and past (FIL's car) 2010 Foresters are working just fine. He's at 120k, I'm at 80k. Only things I'm having issues with are (again) things I've been fucking with. I will actually be swapping my endlinks back to OEM to resolve the current problem.

I think they're plenty reliable, as long as you maintain your shit.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Consumer Reports :banghead::bonk::banghead::bonk::banghead::bonk::banghead::bonk:
The early 2000's stuff was ok but they were still plagued with head gaskets going at 60k, non existent window seals and major rust problems with the body and sub frames.
More like Consumer Paid for Reports. Nothing beats real world first hand experience.

Last edited: