Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Eff you young punks. At 65 I'm driving a paratransit van 200 miles a day in urban traffic. Last ticket I received was when I was 35, Last accident was earlier than that.

Nice work grandpa. Now get out of the left lane and for gods sake turn that fucking turn signal off.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Like the pan American.
Thanks. Panamera (a 2016 4S) is gone now, as I didn't need it for commuting any longer after the pandemic set in.

The Cayenne is a 2008 Turbo with almost 150,000 miles. I bought it from a guy who works at a dealership in New Orleans and had it shipped up here last fall. After putting about as much into it as I spent on the vehicle itself, it's running very well. It arrived with some electrical gremlins and an alarm that had a habit of going off at 2AM without warning.

911 is a 1999 with just under 45,000 miles. Plenty of the good options, and it's just a blast to drive.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just love the Panamera, no love for the Cayenne unfortunately. Having a big hatch like that is a great compromise or even the wagon version. A big sedan that can throw down and haul a bunch of stuff.

The receiver is on back order, but I was happily surprised to see how well the stinger would carry the bike inside:
503E2D85-D6DD-4DDF-B7C6-031CDCE2EB36.jpeg

I don't understand why every car isn't designed like this.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't understand why every car isn't designed like this.
Rigidity, road noise. And custom. Every sedan should at least have its seatback fold all the way down, not just have a little porthole in the middle.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
how often are you guys changing your brake fluid? Non-track drivers only, please...
I was scolded at the dealership for deferring maintenance, but IMO belts and plugs should last over 30k miles, but brake fluid SHOULD be changed every couple of years, I just haven't done mine. Just wondering if others do theirs...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
how often are you guys changing your brake fluid? Non-track drivers only, please...
I was scolded at the dealership for deferring maintenance, but IMO belts and plugs should last over 30k miles, but brake fluid SHOULD be changed every couple of years, I just haven't done mine. Just wondering if others do theirs...
When I change pads, and sometimes not even then if im not in the mood.

The Leaf is a bit different, as the pads should last the life of the car. Manual reccomends every two years.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'll bleed them when I do a brake job, but typically won't do it proactively. Bleeding brakes without the right equipment is a pain.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'll bleed them when I do a brake job, but typically won't do it proactively. Bleeding brakes without the right equipment is a pain.
I do have the right equipment, thankfully, though the giulia is a PITA to get on jack stands so I may have to rely on a hydraulic jack with a safety backup rather than lowering it onto jackstands.

I know that DOT fluid is hygroscopic and goes bad after about 2yr regardless of make, I'm just wondering if anybody does anything about it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Screenshot_20210829-232127_Instagram.jpg

this guys gwagen gets better gas mileage than that pile of shit armada ;i rented.

and he beats the hell out of it.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Quit being disingenuous, Daddy Warbucks... you could have one of those if you really wanted one... :busted:
Not a chance, Mama holds the checkbook. We haven't bought a new vehicle since 2003. Everything had been at least 5 years old. Last Sports car was a 97 Boxster that was also bought used. Last new vehicle was a 2003 F350 seriously discounted on a year end clearance sale

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Not a chance, Mama holds the checkbook. We haven't bought a new vehicle since 2003. Everything had been at least 5 years old. Last Sports car was a 97 Boxster that was also bought used. Last new vehicle was a 2003 F350 seriously discounted on a year end clearance sale
I know all that... and that's smart. But you *could* afford one of those, Mr. Moneybags. :D

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Italy Seeks to Shield Supercars From Combustion Engine Ban
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-04/italy-seeks-to-shield-supercar-maker-from-combustion-engine-ban

So, is it OK that the buyers of these ‘Supercars’ get a pass, despite people like them having the absolutely highest personal carbon footprints going?
Supercars are a point of national pride and the only cars the Italians make that are good, so I see why they’re doing it.

However, it’sundeniable that the forced innovation as a result of environmental laws has created some seriously amazing performance car tech. To allow them to continue to build ICE engines while zee Germans are working on ludicrous electric cars is going to turn the Italian giants into the MOPAR of supercars. Great idea in the near term, and their cars will likely be much, much better for a short while, then they’re absolutely fucked and well behind the times.

Also, how would they sell them in countries of States that have banned ICE? We buy a lot of supercars here in CA, if you can’t sell your car here, it’s probably not worth building.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Supercars are a point of national pride and the only cars the Italians make that are good, so I see why they’re doing it.

However, it’sundeniable that the forced innovation as a result of environmental laws has created some seriously amazing performance car tech. To allow them to continue to build ICE engines while zee Germans are working on ludicrous electric cars is going to turn the Italian giants into the MOPAR of supercars. Great idea in the near term, and their cars will likely be much, much better for a short while, then they’re absolutely fucked and well behind the times.

Also, how would they sell them in countries of States that have banned ICE? We buy a lot of supercars here in CA, if you can’t sell your car here, it’s probably not worth building.
I think it's already starting to happen. There's ultimately a point where Ferrari and the likes don't have the automotive power behind them necessary to stay relevant, against makers like Porsche that make sedans, sports cars, SUVs, and essentially a whole ****-ton of volume, not to mention being part of Audi/WV. Watch the latest Lamborghini vids and they are already making some pretty crazy sacrifices to try and keep performance figures relevant. Sacrifices in comfort, drivability, features, etc. Ferrari has usually managed to stay on top a little better, but even they are going to be falling pretty fast here. Meanwhile Germans chugging along with biturbo V8 setups with insane amounts of torque and high end chassis control, etc. Hybrid and full EV systems will be absolutely killing it. Just look at the Porsche Mission R.

Yeah, this screams of fighting to stay relevant and it's extremely short-sighted.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Used to be a manual transmission only guy… every car of mine up to my current one has been. In the last few years however, my mind has changed pretty dramatically. Anything ICE is damn near impossible for me to get excited about… and frankly seems misguided.

Now if only auto makers would stop dragging their heels and catch up.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Used to be a manual transmission only guy… every car of mine up to my current one has been. In the last few years however, my mind has changed pretty dramatically. Anything ICE is damn near impossible for me to get excited about… and frankly seems misguided.

Now if only auto makers would stop dragging their heels and catch up.
Kind of how I see it too.

Our car is a 5+ year old Subaru Crosstrek. The only vaguely comparable EV's is a Volvo XC40 or a Tezzle model Y. Both cost double. I don't need a million HP, I would want a midsize AWD hatchback with decent mileage.

Then you need the charging infrastructure to get built quickly too and the necessary green energy power sources to power them all.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Kind of how I see it too.

Our car is a 5+ year old Subaru Crosstrek. The only vaguely comparable EV's is a Volvo XC40 or a Tezzle model Y. Both cost double. I don't need a million HP, I would want a midsize AWD hatchback with decent mileage.

Then you need the charging infrastructure to get built quickly too and the necessary green energy power sources to power them all.
Have been having similar thoughts. Kept my last car for 10 years. If I were to get a new one, i just need a regular car, awd. Basically they don't make the car I want in an ev yet unless I want to go way up market.