Quantcast

The garage frame building journey

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Sikocycles - What drawing program are you using? Looking forward to seeing your blueprint. :thumb:

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I am not sure yet. Maybe Fusion 360? Not sure. Any suggestions?

I work with a bunch of engineers and they know Creo and Fusion so I can get some help.

I would run my old Dorado.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I would say go with what you can get help with. I don't know any of them, so I was curious what you were setting up with. (I took autocad for 1 semester over 20 years ago, but don't remember it).

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
My bike engineer friends use Creo. The rear end defines a lot of things and your jig might do the rest. Do you need full on Creo? Seems very complicated to use well.

I threw some parts on it and here’s where I left off. This is in 170mm front and 150mm rear travel mode with a 185x55mm shock with extender. It feels pretty good and measures spot on. I’m real happy with how it turned out.
5B032306-1625-4C4B-A0B9-EF65521EC898.jpeg

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
buckoW - that looks really nice. Can you guys working in steel buy ISCG mounts that work with your bottom brackets? You could also water jet a nice piece.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
We use Creo mainly at work. I was thinking just make a jib at the pivot and BB locations and go from there. If the location is the same we maybe good

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
buckoW - that looks really nice. Can you guys working in steel buy ISCG mounts that work with your bottom brackets? You could also water jet a nice piece.
I have a top guide integrated into the pivot.

I would make one but I haven’t wanted a bash guard yet. I have some Syncros chain guides from the Gambler that i could use.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Sikocycles - I honestly don't know if all the fronts are the same or not. If they were, you could set up your smash front triangle in your jig as if it had the front axel to crown distance the Smash geo table is built around. Then, holding the position of the rear axle constant in the same spot, rotate the frame up and back to the point it would be with the front axel to crown distance in the gnarvana geo table.

Then set your ISCG points relative to horitzontal. IF this were how it works, GG would only have to make slightly different ISCG mounts that are clocked slightly differently for each model.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
All the fronts triangles are the same. The seat stays change for changing models.
I do need to find an ISCG drawing to copy.
I need to order a hardware kit and chainstays. Will start that after my hardtail build.
will be my park bike.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Sikocycles - I honestly don't know if all the fronts are the same or not. If they were, you could set up your smash front triangle in your jig as if it had the front axel to crown distance the Smash geo table is built around. Then, holding the position of the rear axle constant in the same spot, rotate the frame up and back to the point it would be with the front axel to crown distance in the gnarvana geo table.

Then set your ISCG points relative to horitzontal. IF this were how it works, GG would only have to make slightly different ISCG mounts that are clocked slightly differently for each model.
That’s more or less how I have been doing it. Use a frame I like to set up parts of the jig and then squint eye the rest.

@sikocycles Have you seen how the Cobra jig uses BikeCad to set up the jig with only a couple measurements from BikeCad. I wonder if your jig could be used like that?

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
It probably could if I set the Headtube straight up. Maybe I will try on my next build and see

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
If you love the S4 smash, you wouldn't have to make a perfect replica of a gnarvana. You could keep the longer reach of the smash, and set up otherwise like the gnarvana.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I do like the Skynet jig. I fI had one of the welding tables I would make one.

My backbone of mine is the 160x80. It is heavy

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I gave in to new tool lust.

I got a blade smithing forge that can do double duty for bike work. It has an opening at each end so you can make swords, but its also useful for passing long tubes.

IMG_7551.jpg

If I try to bend a 2" OD 6061 T6 down tube, I can only get about 5 degrees before it makes a tremendous bang, and separates into (2) pieces plus a pile of aluminum dust.

IMG_7552.jpg

The solution is to anneal the tubes first. I previously used temperature indicating paint on the inside of the tube, then would slowly cook the outside with a hand torch until the paint on the inside would start burning off. The forge will simplify this operation.

Also dual purpose for blade smithing and bikes is a small heat treating furnace. It has a long lead time, so it will be a while before I have it. The electrician was out yesterday to make plans for a power source for the furnace. It will take a new electrical panel, and at nema 6-50R outlet.

IMG_7555.PNG

The internal dimensions are 27" by 13" by 11", so it wont take a whole frame, or even a front triangle,

but my plan is to make 6061 sub assemblies, then heat treat them to T6, then join them with carbon fiber tubes. The point of the carbon is not to save weight (* I'm sasquatch sized so I like overbuilding relative to industry standard), but rather to eliminate the step of the building process of having to mail stuff to Colorado for a heat treat, and to put any straightening that is needed after the quench and before the bake, into my hands.

IMG_7556.jpg

I decided to go with MRP progressive spring, which will mean a 65mm stroke shock, but will allow me to keep single pivot, and still have some progressivity. The MRP guys say the 600# spring adds 26% relative to the fox regular steel 600#. You can order whatever spring bushing kit for non MRP brand shocks.

I'm going with zee cranks as a cheap option for sasquatch use with readily available and inexpensive BB's.

Mr Hadley's Super Duper Boost, 12mm by 150mm with microspline. A 34 Wolf Tooth ring for DH days, and a 32 for messing around on local non-dh trails. A cool feature of idler bikes, is I don't think the anti-squat effect will change very much switching between the 2 ring sizes.

Also, my idler gear from my old Jedi.

IMG_7549.jpg

One really nice benefit of "DUAL USE TOOLS" is in this case, Mrs. LobsterCT is paying for 1/2 of all the bladesmithing stuff, and the electrical work!

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@lobsterCT Yeah! Exciting design you got there.

What are you planning on using to bond the tubes in there? I would think that 3M Scotch Weld DP420 could be a good adhesive for glueing those tubes in the lugs.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I got a few things for framebuilding and finally fixed a broken press that I use for shock hardware mostly.

These CK torches and Furick cups are so much easier to be precise than the huge euro style torch I was using. Closer to a pencil than the log I had before.

5D1CF47D-60CA-47E3-9E03-74F26A6701C9.jpeg

I got some used work holding things.

The lathe chuck key was hastily made out of scrap last night. I kept some signs of origin like the bolt head and punch taper. That’s a bolt with the head ground square, welded in a tube with a punch as the handle. Shaped and polished on the lathe. It works good enough!

3BE20FEA-29E3-4EEA-96CE-CC5F332C321C.jpeg

There are some miters where I was limited with clearance so this vice should give me more options on the horizontal mill. A dividing table would be nice but those are more expensive. I think this could also work well?

0294A547-4370-4CB1-BCC7-566D087CE73A.jpeg

2FC9980D-E314-4D4B-ADF0-18DC400FFA3E.jpeg

The press I finally got around to fixing. The handle broke off leaving a stub of the shaft inside that I had to drill out and weld back in there.
E6B222C0-9A4C-4FB7-AC75-EEC6E1EE4142.jpeg

56C98C2F-F92F-446B-8D5B-6618F40A9E0D.jpeg

And finally a system I use for mitering and gusset shaping.

E1BEF818-523E-46B8-8832-F89F2549C21B.jpeg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I got a few things for framebuilding and finally fixed a broken press that I use for shock hardware mostly.

These CK torches and Furick cups are so much easier to be precise than the huge euro style torch I was using. Closer to a pencil than the log I had before.

View attachment 171807

I got some used work holding things.

The lathe chuck key was hastily made out of scrap last night. I kept some signs of origin like the bolt head and punch taper. That’s a bolt with the head ground square, welded in a tube with a punch as the handle. Shaped and polished on the lathe. It works good enough!

View attachment 171809

There are some miters where I was limited with clearance so this vice should give me more options on the horizontal mill. A dividing table would be nice but those are more expensive. I think this could also work well?

View attachment 171808

View attachment 171806

The press I finally got around to fixing. The handle broke off leaving a stub of the shaft inside that I had to drill out and weld back in there.
View attachment 171805

View attachment 171804

And finally a system I use for mitering and gusset shaping.

View attachment 171803
Mind sharing what that mitering setup is? Had any issues with overheating the tubes?

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I use a Furick #10 clear cup. I need any advantage I can get.
Doing a wishbone seatstay on this frame.
8A8D4264-A6B7-41C1-9920-3D6A7D1985F1.jpeg
7469A538-1877-45C0-90C5-F711C6B30F39.jpeg
3EE09ECD-062C-482A-8FD8-2D1A46ADE838.jpeg

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Mind sharing what that mitering setup is? Had any issues with overheating the tubes?
It is a small horizontal mill. I haven’t had any overheating issues probably due to the coolant. Works great and is easy to take off a tiny bit and work your way up little by little.

@gonefirefightin I will order some this morning. Thanks! I can’t see shit!

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
It is a small horizontal mill. I haven’t had any overheating issues probably due to the coolant. Works great and is easy to take off a tiny bit and work your way up little by little.

@gonefirefightin I will order some this morning. Thanks! I can’t see shit!
I cant see shit either but between the clear cups and the new speedglas helmet it makes the welds much better.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Garbaruk Cassette on AXS. I got a little crazy on the drivetrain spec. If there were ever a reason to go hard on a build I guess this frame is deserving?

1FDD50D6-EB10-4092-B7C1-641031E8C425.jpeg

I am still struggling on the tig welding but less than before so I am excited to see how it progresses.
BD103C9B-31AF-49C2-A91D-A9F846A1CA9A.jpeg

Edoardo Bianca inspired seat clamp. I have a strange desire to imitate lug style.

7EAED536-6A75-492A-B078-2EA6F2936E30.jpeg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Garbaruk Cassette on AXS. I got a little crazy on the drivetrain spec. If there were ever a reason to go hard on a build I guess this frame is deserving?

View attachment 171981

I am still struggling on the tig welding but less than before so I am excited to see how it progresses.
View attachment 171982

Edoardo Bianca inspired seat clamp. I have a strange desire to imitate lug style.

View attachment 171983
I'm digging the bent seat tube. Much slicker than the welded version. Pinch bolt is a nice touch too, makes it look fancy.