Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Got to ride some bikes this weekend with a Paralympic Gold medalist (boarder cross). It is insane how well that guy can ride with a prosthetic from the knee down, he's the guy in yellow shorts.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Rode an easy going place in the rain tonight. Sessioned this steep section a few times, what a blast. I just wish the camera actually portrayed how steep and rooty it is, after you go around the trees near the end.

Got the girlfriend to ride down the first part. That was awesome to see.

Forgive me for portrait mode. I was riding not filming. :p

But that dirt though. Soaked sandy soil is great.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
While I'm sanding down my rear triangle, here is a video of Katz and me riding in Flagstaff from last week:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Great fun. I never rode in Flag when I lived in Sedona, never knew there were good trails there. This was quite a long time ago now though, circa Y2K.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
While I'm sanding down my rear triangle, here is a video of Katz and me riding in Flagstaff from last week:

Thanks for the video. Makes me wanna drive back up there :)

That really was some good riding. Hobbit Forest was my favorite, even though I almost ate dirt a couple times on it - nice chunky flow.

Great fun. I never rode in Flag when I lived in Sedona, never knew there were good trails there. This was quite a long time ago now though, circa Y2K.
I like Flag better. I'm probably biased a bit though, as I've done plenty of desert riding living in southwest so Sedona trails (while fun) aren't particularly special to me. And the town has become a super tourist trap and the traffic is horrible.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm not sure what was built in Flag at that time, but they still had some bigger descents. My impression of Sedona in that time was it was more about the views and less about the riding. A few years after that, persons started building stuff quietly in both locations. Unfortunately, due to the big burn area and some other trail eradication, Flagstaff is not in the 'hey-day' anymore as far as DH trails, but there are still some good ones. The big question is if they'll last in the burn areas with the monsoon thunderstorms, which most people seem to think they will not. Even without those, there is still fun good riding in Flagstaff and plenty of other areas being developed, but it's frustrating to have such good trails get wiped out. Sedona on the other hand is definitely in it's prime, many of the secret routes have been adopted into the normal trail system. There were a few more tech trails that have gone away, but stuff is eroding so much that even some of the moderately difficult stuff is getting harder. It's just a different style of riding with a lot more short climbs and descents, vs. being able to ride DH for an extended period.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thanks for the video. Makes me wanna drive back up there :)

That really was some good riding. Hobbit Forest was my favorite, even though I almost ate dirt a couple times on it - nice chunky flow.

I like Flag better. I'm probably biased a bit though, as I've done plenty of desert riding living in southwest so Sedona trails (while fun) aren't particularly special to me. And the town has become a super tourist trap and the traffic is horrible.
I was just going through some old pics on my computer and found this. This is what that section used to look like. It was much more hobbit-like with the big rocks before the fire.
1928943_511636255078_5722_n.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The white trilliums have finally bloomed here, but only about half in this forest. The rest are still at half mast. It's just been too cold and wet. The red ones are already long dead.

Need to get a better picture of this valley once they bloom on both sides. There is a jump lime weaving through them.

First sunny day here in over a week. Not shocking is how busy the trails were, ugh.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
So today I went out to check out the new development in Miramar, I think I posted about it a while back, one of the old trails I used to ride called ‘Jailbrake’ got the full treatment to make it a ‘flow trail’ and it is pretty lovely for that.

6233B7E9-81CE-47E6-9EA2-226F49D00D7B.jpeg

There are a couple of bits with obviously ‘on purpose’ roots and stuff but mostly it is hardtail smooth, lots of nice safe, wide but quite steep jumps, huge berm after berm down the middle pumps bits on the flats, they did a great job. Short and sweet and has a nice loop trails back to the top.

I never stop to take photos on the trail cos I like to go fast but at the top of the hill before I started I took a couple. It is in a reserve that surrounds the old prison (hence the trail names; Repeat Offender, Conviction etc.) and there is a great view and quite nice Pump Track which has these lovely little jumps into some of the berms, so I wore myself out on that a bit to start with and then did 3 laps of the Jailbrake loop. Best time 2:01, third time I am pretty sure, good for e-bike 9th all time, not too shabby. :D

We’re having an amazing Autumn, it is technically the last month of Autumn here but today is 19°C (66°Fredums), blue sky, no wind, pretty great. Climate change eh?

View West towards the backside of Mt. Vic:
E8B7EA76-EA7A-4C08-B0C9-D9C570D1A055.jpeg

Wellington harbour, looking NWish:
45DC27FD-0A84-41C1-9ED7-10D180007797.jpeg

Le Track du Pomp — S to N:
1E54F0F7-F40B-4397-BD2E-EA4476EFE891.jpeg

Looking East over the inlet (not me, unknown local lady rider ripping it):
36BE18CE-C42F-4FD1-8A51-624BF86ED8B3.jpeg

Looking South out to sea:
6F8BD87D-A030-4643-A819-6A7F8D464A41.jpeg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
60s era highway-style flyovers in the city that allow you to miss you’re passing a massive park are finally coming down. Tulips at this home are amazing.

E8CCB2FA-FDEA-49C8-AA3A-FEB0B2A847E2.jpeg
30390518-95D2-42CB-A437-A50C6D198C8B.jpeg
75976A38-DD01-472E-8028-DEEB5D588654.jpeg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Apparently you don't have squirrels. :cray:
Some folk definitely have problems with them. They haven't dug up things for us, but my immediate neighbor has had issues. As a result he's electrified one of the three fences around his yard... he thinks that's making a difference :)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Snuck across the border last night to ride the "good" trails. Trilliums in full bloom:
1620409008698.png

The only problem is that the local trail association has taken over the "good" trails, and one of the older better ones in particular. It is now a groomed, flowy ribbon of single track in the forest. They added berms friggin' everywhere, and have cut off/barricaded all the tricky parts. The end result is that it's totally overrun by both hikers and bikers (including cross bikes and mopeds). It runs pretty close to a residential neighbourhood, so it's no surprise. But the effort they put into keeping "single track single" (sticks and dead branches on the side of the trail) means there's no room to pass, or cross paths. It probably doesn't help that most trail-building volunteers are old, retired people who are new to the sport and don't know how to ride yet. Yesterday there was a couple of hikers who had nowhere to stand when two groups of bikers were trying to cross paths. IMHO, sometimes trails develop naturally, and there's no point forcing people to conform to a single, rigid view of the trail. gah. That trail is now dead to me... except when I ride with my kids I guess.

Anyways as I said, we had to sneak across the border to get there. QC has an 8pm curfew. Made it out just in the nick of time! (that's QC over there on the other side of the river).

1620408974543.png

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
So today I went out to check out the new development in Miramar, I think I posted about it a while back, one of the old trails I used to ride called ‘Jailbrake’ got the full treatment to make it a ‘flow trail’ and it is pretty lovely for that.

View attachment 159958

There are a couple of bits with obviously ‘on purpose’ roots and stuff but mostly it is hardtail smooth, lots of nice safe, wide but quite steep jumps, huge berm after berm down the middle pumps bits on the flats, they did a great job. Short and sweet and has a nice loop trails back to the top.

I never stop to take photos on the trail cos I like to go fast but at the top of the hill before I started I took a couple. It is in a reserve that surrounds the old prison (hence the trail names; Repeat Offender, Conviction etc.) and there is a great view and quite nice Pump Track which has these lovely little jumps into some of the berms, so I wore myself out on that a bit to start with and then did 3 laps of the Jailbrake loop. Best time 2:01, third time I am pretty sure, good for e-bike 9th all time, not too shabby. :D

We’re having an amazing Autumn, it is technically the last month of Autumn here but today is 19°C (66°Fredums), blue sky, no wind, pretty great. Climate change eh?

View West towards the backside of Mt. Vic:
View attachment 159959

Wellington harbour, looking NWish:
View attachment 159960

Le Track du Pomp — S to N:
View attachment 159961
Looking East over the inlet (not me, unknown local lady rider ripping it):View attachment 159962

Looking South out to sea:
View attachment 159963
dammit now i want to go to new zealand