Quantcast

The Obsession

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
Any more updates?
As a matter of fact, yes:

A.R.K. said:
Six of the eight parts came back from machining yesterday. I was fortunate enough to be able to oversee the entire machining process and watch exactly how fixtures were used and how the parts were cut. Hopefully that will pay off if and when I have my own CNC machine to make the parts. Right now I am looking for a small CNC mill that I could actually make payments on (maybe a Tormach PCNC 1100).

Pictured Below are the lower links, yokes, and dropouts. More to come soon....

The rear triangle is now finished, and the bike should be put together this weekend hopefully.

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
A.R.K. said:
It coming! There is still a LOT of work to do in order to get it ready for the fast approaching season, but this is what I have so far. I still have to weld rear caliper mount, ISCG tab and a few other things.

So far I am happy with how it is coming out considering I had no JIG for the rear triangle!!!! The front and rear wheels are aligned and run true, so i am happy.

Also had a chance to feel the suspension and my initial reaction is that it feels really good. It is very stiff when you sit on it, but if you really put some force into it is "opens up". I cant tell you how it actually preforms until I have it built up fully. You will also notice how big it looks, until I stand next to it. Its going to be a racer for sure!

So there it is, as of today. He needs to have the headtube reamed and do some bottom bracket work before it'll be fully ride able.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Best thread ever! The bike looks awesome. I can't wait to see the future versions and this one when it is completely finished.

When do you think it will be rideable? Post up a ride report as soon as you ride it!

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I've read this from the biggining, so don't flame me if it sounds stupid. Are you going to sell this bike b/c within the next year i'm looking for a new race bike and would rather throw my money to a grass roots bike co than some impersonal giant co.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I got that too, but the first parts are always hardest to make, and once you have a model and all the settings, it is a lot easier to do the second time around (and potentially profitable:monkeydance: )

Bighit138

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
I love the idea of that linkage it just looks clean and strong. Steal is an interesting and I think welcome change from the HUGE hydroformed aluminum we are all used to. Looks super industial PLEASE KEEP BUILDING!

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
I've read this from the biggining, so don't flame me if it sounds stupid. Are you going to sell this bike b/c within the next year i'm looking for a new race bike and would rather throw my money to a grass roots bike co than some impersonal giant co.
He might sell a few of them, and if he did, it would be towards the end of this season, or over the winter. He's going to spend this season thrashing on this one, and making a couple of revisions.

As for brake feedback, he doesn't believe that there will be much, if any. I'm curious to know about that too.

Should be ride able this week hopefully. Oh yeah!

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
PROPS man thats sirrus, must feel sick to create you own bike from scratch and then get to rip it.

Bighit138

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
So you guys got a color scheme worked out? Gotta be something that stands out, makes the frame POP. Something that you dont see everyday but isnt goddy, oh what the hell am I talking about, MAKE IT SICK!

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
My only suggestion would be to either ditch, or modify the head tube gusset. The rest of the bike looks really thought out, and it appears as if he just slapped that thing on there. Rather distracting to me.

Otherwise it looks really good, especially the rear end.

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
yay, the bike looks sick, news?
He's down in Virginia right now checking out some schools. He ordered the new bottom bracket that he needs, but otherwise, I don't what's going on right now. Should be ridden in the coming week/s.

As for the headtube gusset, I tried really hard to keep him from putting it on, because it looked freaking sick without it. But he had some welds that he didn't want to look at. Oh well

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004
That is one of the nicest looking frames I've seen in a long time. I love how clean it looks. Looks really racey as well everything looks low

Bighit138

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
I hope you guys go big, right now the only bike with (kinda) similar lines is teh glory, and i dont have 5k for one of those

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
it looks kinda weird....like the geo is super slack. but ill w8 to see it in person
Race bikes tend to be slack:busted:

So I just got the rendered version of the next Obsession. It's a good two pounds lighter, has far larger bearings, it's a little shorter and the standover height is about two inches lower.

Should be built early to mid June. Ride report on the first one will be coming very soon as well.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
someone mentioned the headtube gusset and using it to cover up ugly welds... if you chop off the little point on the mitered tubes you can get better welds, you're putting a lot of heat into that thin little point which makes it tough to weld, if you dog ear the miter so that you have a more substantial piece of material to work with you'll get a better weld.

I'll save the rest of my comments until I see a ride report.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
impressive I have to say, everyone wishes they could design their own frames, weld them, and try them out, always thought parrallel links were the best, can't get ride of my karpi

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
Why not work with Sram to get one of their new rear shocks for it. I am sure its better than the Roco, plus you are useing all other Sram parts. Just a thought.
Right now, I can't get my hands on the new shock from them, but ,my price on the Roco is pretty darn good. Once a couple of these get built, I think I might try contacting Sram, see what I can do.

The new bb just came in, so the bike should be ride able this weekend. Hopefully.