Quantcast

The One That Got Away (thank God)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wanted a Rotec RL9 something fierce. Not sure if it rode OK or not, but thought it looked cool and Sully seemed like a good dude. I was even tempted to get one of their 4X frames several years ago, but didn't really have a use for it. They somehow still have a (janky) website and updated frames, but its unclear if said frames actually exist.
Pretty much same.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I actually considered putting stubby bar ends back on my flat bars...but at 31" wide the thought terrifies me, too.

I would like to have a longer reach position for cruising uphill. Find myself often resting my palms on the top-forward part of my bars spinning up the dirt road.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
man, now i miss my uzzi vp. that's one bike i'm glad i *did* get. i agonized between that and the sx trail forever. did i crack a seatstay? sure (they replaced it for free thankfully). but when that bike was dialed in with a ccdb it was terrific bombing chunk in le pisgah and not too bad on local trails either.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

4banger.jpg

Supergo had these on sale when I was getting started on MTB...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I wanted a Trek 620, I think it was. Deore DX thumbshifters, aluminum frame and rigid fork.

Would have been better than the Proflex 550 that I ended up with in its stead.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Had two Intense frames, an Uzzi SL and the Haro M1. The Haro was bomb proof and weighed a svelte 46 pounds. Ripped the BB shell completely off the Uzzi on a trail ride. Intense was willing to replace the frame for a reasonable fee, but only had a small front triangle so I threw it in the trash. Rode that 46 pound sled all over Western NC for a long time until I got a hardtail. Built up some massive thighs in the process.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the one superco frame i saw in person was beautiful in its non built state...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Rode a Motolite for a few years. I liked it.
I actually got a Loco-Moto for my first FS bike, custom built from Speedgoat after the much-vaunted KaloMTB pulled their usual flim flam on me.

Cracked top tube...replaced on warranty, but had another bike...I think my 24" rear Big Hit...when I finally got the new frame. Don't recall who I sold it to; did build it and ride it a few times before that..

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I had a Karpiel Disco Volante on order along with an Intense M1 back in 2002. I sure am happy that Intense was able to fill that order first.
I wanted an M1 until I rode a Disco in late 2001. Got one of the first new Disco's with the longer upper links with the 8.5x2.5 shock. That thing was a beast! Rocked mine with a Stratos S8.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

View attachment 171440

Supergo had these on sale when I was getting started on MTB...
I still think that is a god looking frame. This was the last real sign of life from Schwinn with amazing gold flake paint jobs on their frame and clearly a good suspension design just not sure how it rode without a floating brake setup. Maybe manageable on a short travel setup.

You need the Sid DH version to match

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
^hawt. I was not posting it ironically...I love those things.

Man did I want one of those SIDs.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I still think that is a god looking frame. This was the last real sign of life from Schwinn with amazing gold flake paint jobs on their frame and clearly a good suspension design just not sure how it rode without a floating brake setup. Maybe manageable on a short travel setup.

You need the Sid DH version to match

It was also a Yeti. So... Homegrown frames were Yeti made.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
nah, control tech in washington. Only the homegrown factory and straight six frames were yeti made. Everything else, US but farmed out.
Huh. I though the 4 was too. I knew the round seat-chainstay hard were ARCs. The straight-6 & pull shock straight-8 definitely were. The push shock straight-8 was not.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Most of those old Schwinn hardtails have really lovely (old school, aesthetic) proportions if you just look at the silhouettes but those FSers are uggggly and the Schwinn logo itself is, omg, like so gross, Becky. Like how could you even? On your downtube? Ewww.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Most of those old Schwinn hardtails have really lovely (old school, aesthetic) proportions if you just look at the silhouettes but those FSers are uggggly and the Schwinn logo itself is, omg, like so gross, Becky. Like how could you even? On your downtube? Ewww.
That said, I can still picture the paint jobs on those 4bangers.... they were works of art.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
That said, I can still picture the paint jobs on those 4bangers.... they were works of art.
I have a red metal flake Schwinn seat from that area in the basement somewhere that I bought for the wife but not high on comfort and too nice to throw out. Maybe I need to list it for the retro crowed.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I adored the straight six/DH6 frames (I particularly wanted a DH-4). Easily my favorite bikes ever, especially with fat HED rims and turqoise and yellow before it became on trend. Knowing that the six was yeti welded was even better.

The four bangers were so close to perfect, but the lack of a brake linkage scared me. I'd still buy one.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
[
I adored the straight six/DH6 frames (I particularly wanted a DH-4). Easily my favorite bikes ever, especially with fat HED rims and turqoise and yellow before it became on trend. Knowing that the six was yeti welded was even better.

The four bangers were so close to perfect, but the lack of a brake linkage scared me. I'd still buy one.
I hear you and I can help, Sammich. This could be your red convertible with @CBJ ´s seat and your trust fork. Slap some yellow Magura on there and we’re in! I´ll even throw in an orange carbon Syncros combo if you promise to run it.

118D339F-F309-4780-8197-7D32443E9F65.jpeg

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
[

I hear you and I can help, Sammich. This could be your red convertible with @CBJ ´s seat and your trust fork. Slap some yellow Magura on there and we’re in! I´ll even throw in an orange carbon Syncros combo if you promise to run it.

View attachment 173496
Omg. A pull shock, without the linkage. That's... All of the travel with none of the damping or leverage curve.