Quantcast

The One That Got Away (thank God)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If you got ahold of one of the gussetted discos those things were the shit. The earlier ones ovalized headtubes and would develop cracks but those last gen ones (the heat treated versions) had longer shocks/lower leverage ratios, a progressive leverage ratio that bike designers just recently realized they need, and they really were pretty light for a dh frame.

A friend of mine still has one that was built up with a flipped link to use as a short travel 4x racer that he keeps in his garage. I lust.
The head tube on this one had gussets on the gussets. :rofl:

But with a shock, that bitch was like 20lbs before the Steelset.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My son still misses the Azonic DS1 I had. It had dual 24's and a Stratos FR4 fork. That bike was an urban beast, but when I tried to trail ride it, it was a pedal bashing bastard.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That's the elastomer one? If so, yeah, that's the one I'm kinda sorta but not really but still would looking for.

headshock: nice touch
That one with an EBB and discs would be the ultimate winter single speed bike.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You actually got a steelset out?

I tried once on a dirtjumper I had. I was defeated
Did you see the thread I had on this a few weeks ago for my Sovereign?

Ended up making a kerf-width cut along the cups and hitting them with a hammer, collapsing it away from the headtube wall enough to just knock right out.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
add the corsair konig to the list of bikes i thought looked cool but am glad i never got...
All of the corsairs were on my list at some point. Corsair Crown, Maelstrom...those were awesome bikes with design ahead of their time, and then apparently the shittiest manufacturing and support ever

I'll add the Astrix Huckster to the list. And maybe the havoc, but I'd still take one of those if offered

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I had a Karpiel Disco Volante on order along with an Intense M1 back in 2002. I sure am happy that Intense was able to fill that order first.
I assembled one of the very last Armageddons that Jan built in what I'd call Karpiel 1.0, circa 2003-4ish good god that thing was a POS!

It was ordered around '02 but took forever to get, you dodged a serious bullet.

Speaking of bullets, always wanted an SC Bullet, glad I never owned one of them either.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I assembled one of the very last Armageddons that Jan built in what I'd call Karpiel 1.0, circa 2003-4ish good god that thing was a POS!

It was ordered around '02 but took forever to get, you dodged a serious bullet.

Speaking of bullets, always wanted an SC Bullet, glad I never owned one of them either.

I recently saw a rather minty looking one on the back of a car at the trailhead. Looked like it was just rolled off the showroom floor. Was even rootbeer.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The head tube on this one had gussets on the gussets. :rofl:

But with a shock, that bitch was like 20lbs before the Steelset.
No way

Jan's shop was about 30 minutes from here and this place was saturated with those frames. I had two of them. Those discos were definitely not 20lbs.

I transferred all my parts over from one to an 03 turner dhr (15-16lbs) and it ended up being heavier.

dumb question but are you a dh'er? Like have held a lot of dh frames (feel free to flip out on me if so)

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I was with you until you said bullet :rofl:
Hey now, we were all young and stupid at one point, it's only now that I'm old and stupid that I realize a Bullet with a Shiver, purple Hayes mags, and maybe a Mr Dirt chainguide would have been a very bad life-choice. Howver young Max thought that would have been the shit!

Speaking of bad life-choices, found negatives of some old bike pics, gotta scan them so you can point and laugh at my Stinky-Nine. Again, young Max was a dumbass, I do not dispute this fact.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I never got along with the Armageddon I had, mostly just because I listened to people and bought too small a size. But in shorter travel (9") with both cams set to slack, they worked pretty well. Pieces of shit I wouldn't call them, they were always well made....until he ran out of money and shipped out a few unheat treated ones.......

The disco was a legit fast bike though. That last gen that jimmy painted was the best bike that ever came out of that wacko's shop.

bullets were some of the worst bikes I ever rode though...;)

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I was with you until you said bullet :rofl:
The Santa Cruz online bike configuration tool wasted a lot of time for me around 1999.

Rented a Heckler while in Colorado away from my Trek 6000 (with sun rhyno lites and riser bars...occasionally bar ends...) and thought it was the BEST THING EVER.

Used to want the orange-ano Superlight. And/or the Heckler in bare ball-burnished AL front triangle with the swingarm in safety orange. Considered Bullit with the same.

And I've still never owned an orange bike. (Wait, no! I had an OG Surly Instigator in orange powder, as they all were, and put a Marzo Jr T up front. Ovalized the headtube.)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No way

Jan's shop was about 30 minutes from here and this place was saturated with those frames. I had two of them. Those discos were definitely not 20lbs.

I transferred all my parts over from one to an 03 turner dhr (15-16lbs) and it ended up being heavier.

dumb question but are you a dh'er? Like have held a lot of dh frames (feel free to flip out on me if so)
I was, sort of, I guess. I have had many hucktastic rides and currently sport a 42# RM7 "FR" so technically not DH :rofl:

I would swear the DHR would be lighter, but I only saw a couple of those. I hadn't weighed the Disco, it just seemed solid. I had just about everything pass through the powder shop. From the fist full of Endless Lifetimes to a one off Foes Fly they sent me raw to shoot for a rider here. Hell, I shot at least 2 of everything Mountain Cycle made including 3 custom Rubmles that were displayed at the show before they went tits up.

I got to see everything nekkid, too. Only Diamond Back had filler on frames to hide stuff.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I was, sort of, I guess. I have had many hucktastic rides and currently sport a 42# RM7 "FR" so technically not DH :rofl:

I would swear the DHR would be lighter, but I only saw a couple of those. I hadn't weighed the Disco, it just seemed solid. I had just about everything pass through the powder shop. From the fist full of Endless Lifetimes to a one off Foes Fly they sent me raw to shoot for a rider here. Hell, I shot at least 2 of everything Mountain Cycle made including 3 custom Rubmles that were displayed at the show before they went tits up.

I got to see everything nekkid, too. Only Diamond Back had filler on frames to hide stuff.
The square tube DHR was a tank

207771_19208348736_5982_n.jpg

I know....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No way

Yeah, discoV was one of the lightest “real” DH frames.

Knolly V-tach, banshee scream, that’s where it was on the extreme end of the heavy frames.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I never got along with the Armageddon I had, mostly just because I listened to people and bought too small a size. But in shorter travel (9") with both cams set to slack, they worked pretty well. Pieces of shit I wouldn't call them, they were always well made....until he ran out of money and shipped out a few unheat treated ones.......

The disco was a legit fast bike though. That last gen that jimmy painted was the best bike that ever came out of that wacko's shop.

bullets were some of the worst bikes I ever rode though...;)
For clarity the bike rode great, but the poor guy who bought it got jerked around by Jan for like 2 years, and had all but written off the money (paid in full up front) when a package from Poland showed up. He brought it to us to build, and that's where the fun began.

Weld puddle in the BB threads on one side, neither side faced. Headtube had zero post-weld prep, seat-tube was "D" shaped, the list went on and on. We finally got it together after many hours of fucking with it, owner of the shop hooked it up and only charged the owner normal bike build price instead of hourly because he felt bad.

Poor guy finally got his dream bike and couldn't love it because it was such a goddamn headache, but at least I got a couple laps on it at Bear.

How dare you blasphemy the Bullet!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My fascination with santa cruz single pivots ended as soon as I rode a few
My Bullit was pretty bad ass. The fork was the best, but everyone will laugh at me. :panic:

Stratos 8 (I think that's what it was called). That fork was the OG 888 with like 140* of steering or some shit. Had lockout, too.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
For clarity the bike rode great, but the poor guy who bought it got jerked around by Jan for like 2 years, and had all but written off the money (paid in full up front) when a package from Poland showed up. He brought it to us to build, and that's where the fun began.

Weld puddle in the BB threads on one side, neither side faced. Headtube had zero post-weld prep, seat-tube was "D" shaped, the list went on and on. We finally got it together after many hours of fucking with it, owner of the shop hooked it up and only charged the owner normal bike build price instead of hourly because he felt bad.

Poor guy finally got his dream bike and couldn't love it because it was such a goddamn headache, but at least I got a couple laps on it at Bear.

How dare you blasphemy the Bullet!

oh

you got one of the genuine end times armageddons.....

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You still do powdercoating? If so, I'll send you some biz
Sometimes I wish. After what happened with @MikeD RFX, things went off the rails, then Rob died (brain aneurysm). It was a crazy time, the Foes was the last piece I did and it almost didn't happen.

I started going to the shop at Rob's house after 10 when his wife would be passed out and I wouldn't have to deal. It was like 2am and the back half had just come out of the oven when she came screaming in there bitching about how Izzy and I don't do shit, blah, blah, blah. I grabbed the frame hot and hauled ass. Rob died about 2 weeks after that, lucky bastard.

Izzy got the oven, but I don't think he uses it much. Rob thought we should farm out the stripping process (the RFX) and that didn't work out well. It ended up being a TON of work (8 hours per frame average) for very little payoff. But I wish I could do my personal shit. My Bullit was pimp! :rofl:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
My Heckler and Straight 6 never got away because I couldn’t sell them in good conscience, so I still have them haha

@kidwoo My buddy in Durango way back had a real nice Armageddon in low and slack mode with 9 inches out back and that thing was so much better than my Straight 6 or Foes DHS Mono pre curnutt 2:1. His bike was so progressive and plush. We rode in Telluride a bunch together back then.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I more lusted after a freeride bike before I had a place where I could use it as I was reading German Bike. Especially a bike with the Marzocchi Super T limited hand made Italian beauty.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
The Santa Cruz online bike configuration tool wasted a lot of time for me around 1999.

Rented a Heckler while in Colorado away from my Trek 6000 (with sun rhyno lites and riser bars...occasionally bar ends...) and thought it was the BEST THING EVER.

Used to want the orange-ano Superlight. And/or the Heckler in bare ball-burnished AL front triangle with the swingarm in safety orange. Considered Bullit with the same.

And I've still never owned an orange bike. (Wait, no! I had an OG Surly Instigator in orange powder, as they all were, and put a Marzo Jr T up front. Ovalized the headtube.)
O-R-A-N-G-E

STE-ANNE SHORE-1.jpg

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Someone in my neighborhood still rides around on a Superlight. Light blue or silver.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
he didnt go full batshit murder mode until like 2004.

You actually would have ended up with a better riding and more durable bike had you gotten the disco in 2002
The M1 is still one of the best bikes I ever rode, I ended up getting another one in 2003. I switched from a Shiver to a Boxxer in 2003 and that made a big difference in the ride of the bike.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
<< M1 in that avatar pic.

Also a suitable entry for the post a pic of you on a bike too small thread. It was a medium I was borrowing and I'm 6'2"