Quantcast

The snow thread.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Steamboat steeps are less than 10 turns at it's longest. Sorry, after skiing Jackson, Steamboat doesn't have steeps. I know, I know, apples to oranges. But they're both fruit and so it goes for Steamboat and Jackson, both ski areas. I'm w/ SS, if it was 1000 more vert, we'd have it all. Don't get me wrong tho, I love skiing here. Since we lack the length in steeps, we make up for it in trees and bumps. There used to be a big pack of bumpers. Now, there's just me and one other guy left. The new crop likes the manicured course on the front of the mountain. It is really difficult to ski, but I think it's kinda cheatin' IMO.

What's a split board kit? Does it take two snowboards and make one big one?

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
So do bumps still form like they used to in White Out and Norther? Man those two runs are the rockstar runs for sure. Top and Bottom 3 o' clock used to be good too. Jeff, we have to hit the boat mid Feb. I'll get the condo from my aunt and we'll do it!!!!!!

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
Pau11y said:
What's a split board kit? Does it take two snowboards and make one big one?
You take one board, cut it down the middle, epoxy the edges so it doesn't die really fast, then you screw on a bunch of crap that allows you to re-attach the two sides. You put on these plate things for the bindings that allow you to take them off (from the normal position) and put them back on (pivoting on the toe, pointing straight at the tip of the "ski"). This is so you can skin up stuff instead of snowshoeing or post-holing. That was a terrible explaination. I'll try to find a picture later.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
DHblur said:
So do bumps still form like they used to in White Out and Norther? Man those two runs are the rockstar runs for sure. Top and Bottom 3 o' clock used to be good too. Jeff, we have to hit the boat mid Feb. I'll get the condo from my aunt and we'll do it!!!!!!
Well, Northern is still a good place for small bumps, so is Surprise. I warm up on these. Whiteout however, is anything but small. The SS Winter Sports Club's bump guys practice on it so the bumps get pretty trench'd out since they introduced the short skis. I'm still on 190 - 195cm for my bump skis so it can get pretty interesting skiing their lines. I've taken my long skinnies down the race course and I think it handled them better than shorties (I've taken those down the course too).
Feb is a good time since the out of state tourons count is lower. Right now, it's wall to wall which is why I stay in the bumps during peak touron count days.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
SkaredShtles said:
I haven't skiied Jackson, but my steep-comparison mountain is Silverton.

Did you hear? 25" in 24 hours........ :drool:

-S.S.-
Oh man! I'm getting mushy in my pants again! :mumble:

Edit: I just came off the hill. There's something rolling in from the south. Hopefully, they left us something and didn't bleed it completely dry

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
B-**** it Lets to Jackson, I have a place to stay. Feb...we'll talk.

Right now I feel like I was run over by a truck...Vail 2 days in a row with lots of hucking. And in classic Jeff fasion I **** up trying to carry a camera in windblown snow/flat light...it was quite a tumble...but i'm still not pissing blood.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
SkaredShtles said:
Get the f*#k outta here! Are you serious? It's friggin' RAINING?!? Please say that's in town............ :dead:

-S.S.-
Check the thread. It's been raining since yesterday. If it's snowing on the mountain, it's the cement variety, and not the fluffy kind. If this keeps up, I'm gonna go Postal on someone.
Ok, just checked the snow report, it IS snowing on the mountain. I guess the rationalization is that it's good base building material (there are still a few rocks showing). But man, if we get a cold snap, we're gonna be "east coast ice" in the rockies.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pau11y said:
Check the thread. It's been raining since yesterday. If it's snowing on the mountain, it's the cement variety, and not the fluffy kind. If this keeps up, I'm gonna go Postal on someone.
Ok, just checked the snow report, it IS snowing on the mountain. I guess the rationalization is that it's good base building material (there are still a few rocks showing). But man, if we get a cold snap, we're gonna be "east coast ice" in the rockies.
Ahhh... I just figured the first rain report was a typo. :p

Maybe you should head south and a bit west :thumb:

-S.S.-

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Why is it the first week of school THIS week? any other week and I'm looking to get to Silverton/Telluride/Crested Butter/Wolf Creek loop

Anybody done the Cat skiing at Monarch? Anything stupid to jump off of? Steep(er)? Snow?

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
Has anyone been to Winter Park or Copper Mtn. recently? What are the conditions like? I'm heading out there in a few days, where's the better snow?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
fuzzynutz said:
Has anyone been to Winter Park or Copper Mtn. recently? What are the conditions like? I'm heading out there in a few days, where's the better snow?
Winter Park is only 90 mins from Steamboat so prob in the same boat, no pun. Copper, no idea. But per SS, the snow is in Silverton

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Screw it! Since there's no snow, I'm gonna build on my DH and road bikes, and fantasize about this coming summer.

Edit: Maybe a roadtrip to Jackson or the Bird. NeverSummer or SS, know if Jackson or the Bird is getting hit?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
Screw it! Since there's no snow, I'm gonna build on my DH and road bikes, and fantasize about this coming summer.

Edit: Maybe a roadtrip to Jackson or the Bird. NeverSummer or SS, know if Jackson or the Bird is getting hit?
Jackson hasn't been getting pounded - this is a more SW storm track that has been blessing the west-central mountains as well (CButte, Aspen, etc).

Here's a Utah hint. Instead of LCC, you should go here:

http://www.skisolitude.com/

Why would you go to those places instead of CButte? They've gotten 4 feet in 3 days. :eek:

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
That's Mont Blanc in the French Alps right? That is THE tram! I think I've seen movies where ppl sky dive off that tram.
Oui, monsieur. We went in the late spring and there were still lots of skiers about. What a friggin' amazing place........... Chamonix...... :drool:

Oh - and the food was killer, too.

-S.S.-

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Ok, snow report:
Last 24 we got 7". However, it's the base building type of 7", just like mashers.
However, it's DUMPIN' now and if this keeps up, whao! It started at around noon and it's going OFF! It's heavy tho, so it'll be more like water skiing than snow skiing...lol. I'LL TAKE IT :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
Ok, snow report:
Last 24 we got 7". However, it's the base building type of 7", just like mashers.
However, it's DUMPIN' now and if this keeps up, whao! It started at around noon and it's going OFF! It's heavy tho, so it'll be more like water skiing than snow skiing...lol. I'LL TAKE IT :D
Just makes for a little better workout in Closet and Shadows. Especially with the skinny skis. :eek:

-S.S.-

GravityPilot

Chimp
Jan 13, 2004
Frisco, CO
Good luck on getting down to Silverton. I'm supposed to be there Friday, but things aren't looking good. They are completely isolated. Red Mountain Pass is closed, Coal Bank Pass is closed, Molas Pass is closed and just to add insult to injury Wolf Creek Pass is closed. The east side is open to the ski area though. Also the CAIC has upgraded the avalanche danger to Extreme in the Southern and Central mountains and High in the Northern mountains. I'm gonna try like hell to get down there, but it's not looking good.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Ski Report: Wolf Creek

New Snow 24 hours: 24"
Storm Total: 124"

I'm going this weekend if I can get Saturday off...whos with me? Torn cartalidge in your rib cage doesnt matter if you never feel bottom.

My AKs aren't big enough for that kind of snow though....