Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pardon me, but what does being left or right-handed have to do with what brake should be on which side?

If you need more grip power to activate your brakes and think using your dominant hand will aid in that, perhaps its time to upgrade from those Hayes Mag brakes which did absolutely fark all, unless you grabbed a literal fist of brake lever.
Your jerkoff hand has more power.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Nah Pinkbike said internal routing is ok and we're all just whingers for saying its stupid. And if its one information source I trust its definitely people who have never had a bike more than a year nor had limited free time outside of a real job to work on said bike....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Oh. it can. and it does.

in actual use. Not pointless theory
Did Scott spec an oval chainring?

I had wondered why they still had the sides on them as I assumed that a top plate would be enough, on a hardtail at least.
Maybe try a Garbaruk chainring, mine seemed to have teeth that were quite a bit taller than other ones I'd had, was noisy in the mud though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think I've covered this before, but Milkit stems. 0/10. They won't let air out of your tires in the cold. Works indoors, but the one-way valve is intended to keep air from leaving your tires and you can't let air out to tune your air pressure. That's a big deal. Another important part, but not as important, is you can't fill past the one-way valve without a tubeless injector. Just make my life simple, let me use a 2oz Stan's bottle, but I digress, not being able to let air out is more important...even with the core removed (because the one-way valve is in the stem, not the core).

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The Enduro World Cup "EDR" new (Enduro World Series) just announced that in line with other UCI World Cup events they're not running Masters categories for the pros, only in amateur.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
The Enduro World Cup "EDR" new (Enduro World Series) just announced that in line with other UCI World Cup events they're not running Masters categories for the pros, only in amateur.
I always thought Masters was amateur. Even if you're a pro or ex pro. Hmm.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Nah the EWS used to have a Masters Champion etc, and they were always allowed to ride the full Pro course and do the Pro practise. Now you'd be in amateur and its a gong show. Doesn't really affect me as I was always in Amateur anyway but I've got a couple mates that raced the Masters Pro field and they're mega bummed. Now their options are try to get wildcarded into Pro Open and race kids half their age, or enter the Amateur field and pass 15 people every stage.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
As you know I don't really follow the EWS too closely but I did pay some attention to the tweed valley round. I know the two riders who placed first and second in Masters as well as the rider who placed second in Pro Master. (All local guys) I was under the impression the only difference between the courses they rode was the omittance of the pro stage the day before for the non-Pro Masters?
I just took a quick nerd at the results and if you add up all their race day stages (omitting the pro stage) the rider who won Masters would have placed very comfortably in the top 10 in Pro Masters and the rider in second right around 10th.
The difference in overall times from 1st place to 25th-30th was actually a good bit larger in the Pro Masters than Masters race. So not really what you'd call a gong show until you get down to the slowest 40 riders.
Do the timing crew not accomodate faster riders by allowing them a slightly longer starting time gap if asked for at the stage start?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Nah start times are locked in before the event and you've got an allocated stage start time. Depending on the course sometimes the Amateurs run the whole course anyway, but some events the Amateurs skip a stage, or they close features for them (like the 1199 track in Whistler this year).

The Amateur racing is usually a different day altogether to the Pro event. And there's not a good gap between categories so you might drop into a stage like Top of The World or something 10+ minutes long and be passing other categories, not just other Masters.

I get that its now a World Cup sport and it really should reflect that in the participants (EWS is notorious for pretty much anyone being able to race), but even DH has a Masters World Champs (as a separate event) whereas Enduro won't now.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anyway, wait and see I guess. Just seems like they're chopping down the EWS quite a bit to try and fit it in with the World Cups. I still think it was better off left as a stand alone thing. But I could be just being old and whiny.

Sucks for the handful of riders that do both DH and EWS too - packaging them together seems to be the future so instead of just occasional clashes, they're gonna have to pick one or the other.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

someone should tell the lizards
Every sector I care about is still a shit show. The car I ordered over a year ago still has no ETA, except that it seems certain the 2023 allotment is all gone. This author should try finding a dual crown fork.