Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have no idea what this is. Google lens tells me it’s used on Vespas?! Doesn’t sound very Enduro.
says crank cotter pins

I missed that era. square taper was the thing when I was growing up. and square taper sucked. ISIS was an improvement, and now I'm happy in the Shimano Hollowtech clamp on camp. (Cinch also sucked along the way.)

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
yep. repacking loose bb hubs, bb's, & headsets was good times. cleaning things out, determining correct diameter & count, adjusting hub cones, etc. also used to have a rack of single cassette cogs / spacers & was able to build up custom tooth count cassettes (of a variety of speed options).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
remember loose cage bearing headsets and BBs?
Remember? I still kinda think of sealed bearings as a new development.

BITD (I'm talking late 80's) we did overhaul specials to generate business during East Coast winters. Full down-to-the bearings tear-downs, including hubs, bb's, and headsets. Strip the bike, dump all the small parts in a colander, and then head over to the Safety Klean tank for some quality huffing. Often needed new bearings, cones, etc. Small parts bins were epic. Good times!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

BITD (I'm talking late 80's) we did overhaul specials to generate business during East Coast winters. Full down-to-the bearings tear-downs, including hubs, bb's, and headsets. Strip the bike, dump all the small parts in a colander, and then head over to the Safety Klean tank for some quality huffing. Often needed new bearings, cones, etc. Small parts bins were epic. Good times!
Remember having to buy new ball bearings for bmx back in the day. Same with my first set of mtb hubs too! Wasn’t a bad system.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
says crank cotter pins

I missed that era. square taper was the thing when I was growing up. and square taper sucked. ISIS was an improvement, and now I'm happy in the Shimano Hollowtech clamp on camp. (Cinch also sucked along the way.)
You lucky. Trust me, square taper was the shit compared to cotter pins.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Pull it apart, remove balls from broken cages, clean, repack cups, then add loose balls, install cones and lock nut, adjust cones, tighten lock nuts and yer good to go.

Still got a box of parts from the 70's laying around somewhere. No idea why I still have them. I need help. :rofl:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Folk considering NOT buying a bike because it it's marketing says it was optimised for a chainring TWO teeth higher than their spindly little non cyclist legs can handle.

The same industry that sold you oval chainrings. You couldn't fucking make this shit up.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Vail or whoever charging full price for a lift ticket at Whistler when Fitzsimmons and the gondola are offline and all the tracks that cross the Fitzsimmons zone are closed is taking the piss.

Sun Peaks absolutely slayed them for prices and trails.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Vail or whoever charging full price for a lift ticket at Whistler when Fitzsimmons and the gondola are offline and all the tracks that cross the Fitzsimmons zone are closed is taking the piss.

first time I went to whistler, day tickets were 32 dollars

I don't even want to know what they're charging now

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah honestly with inflation, they might be charging less now than they were the first time you went woo (I assume that was back in the 70's)

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack

Agreed here. I love Whis but Sun Peaks was glorious. I could go there and stay for my entire trip and feel fine about it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Damn.

I want to head to Whizzle again for a few days, just so wife gets a chance to ride in the park. I think I last rode there in 2014. Then afterwards we'd carry on up to Sun Peaks as I've family there. If they decide to close Garbo next summer or some other huge maintenance, I think I'll just give up on Whizzle and we'll just do a Sun Peaks trip.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You can't expect new upstarts like shimano to get it right the first time. Sheesh.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That shit is wild. Those things have been breaking left and right for years and Shimano has been sayings its rider error. We had one rider at my old shop go through three of them, and Shimano wasn't even offering crash replacement for them, just "yup, go ahead and buy a new crank and stop being a dumbass that abuses your gear"

What a time to be alive - shimanos the company circling the drain because of making faulty cranks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That shit is wild. Those things have been breaking left and right for years and Shimano has been sayings its rider error. We had one rider at my old shop go through three of them, and Shimano wasn't even offering crash replacement for them, just "yup, go ahead and buy a new crank and stop being a dumbass that abuses your gear"

What a time to be alive - shimanos the company circling the drain because of making faulty cranks.
So they took the Chris King approach…

I specifically remember hambini calling this out. Thats gotta hurt.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Come on guyyyys! « The firm has received 4,519 incidents of cranksets separating » that’s ONLY 4519 reports!! /s

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's $72 per day for a 3-day pass. So a 3-day pass is $228 if you buy online, more in person. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/plan-your-trip/lift-access/bike-park-tickets.aspx

I agree it seems relatively cheap. But you pay more to get up to TOW, and everything on and around the mountain is super expensive. So unless you fully dirtbag it (which is doable), it's an expensive place to spend time. And I fully expect them to raise the ticket prices once the new Fitz lift is up and running.

We were there for around a week earlier this year. Riding the park was very different without the Fitz lift. Really tough to do those repeat runs on the classic lower trails that are so much, just takes too much time with the gondola. Some of the newer trails over on Creekside is really fun but started to feel repetitive to me. Luckily there's a ton of good stuff outside the park.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Agreed here. I love Whis but Sun Peaks was glorious. I could go there and stay for my entire trip and feel fine about it.
I hadn't been in like five years so I dunno when the new loamer entry to Smitty's went in but it is super awesome. DH1 -> Smitty's -> HoneyDrop was an all time lap, Smitty's is like a waterslide depth rut now and you can get slappy into those little catch turns. I was grinning like an idiot the whole time.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Come on guyyyys! « The firm has received 4,519 incidents of cranksets separating » that’s ONLY 4519 reports!! /s
In 680,000 units sold, to be fair. 7 in 1,000 failed. I blame the stupid aero everything trend and their move from simple 5 bolt chainring design.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wasn't Shimano's move to 4 bolt asymmetric road rings apparently for increased stiffness? :doh:
Shimano seem quite slow/poor at chasing the aero gainz moolah.
I'm still running older 105 with 110 5 bolt rings as replacing the 50t with a stronglight ring is a quarter of the price. (or half the price for a shimano ring)
Same reason I still run 104 4 bolt on my mtbs.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Wasn't Shimano's move to 4 bolt asymmetric road rings apparently for increased stiffness? :doh:
Shimano seem quite slow/poor at chasing the aero gainz moolah.
I'm still running older 105 with 110 5 bolt rings as replacing the 50t with a stronglight ring is a quarter of the price. (or half the price for a shimano ring)
Same reason I still run 104 4 bolt on my mtbs.
Give them another decade and after reaching one million complains about wandering bite point brakes they will finally address the issue.

Probably by ditching servo wave altogether.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Funny how "swing link" doesn't have the same issue.
Oh well only 13 years or so until that's free to use.