Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Aug 27, 2023
Canton, Georgia
Damn... and here I was about to order a couple pairs of shorts from them. Super cheap compared to prices here.
You would probably be fine if they are actually in stock.

My problem was I had ordered a set of brakes, and various other items related to said brakes (shipping to the USA, and I wanted to get everything from one place). My ship date kept getting pushed back despite being told that my brakes were in stock, but coming from "the warehouse". I specifically told them not to send an incomplete order and was assured that would not happen. Of course, the order shipped without the brake set, and I had to order them elsewhere.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
PON holdings is one of the “big four” (Trek, specialized, giant, PON) bike companies in the US In terms of sales. They are the owners of Santa Cruz, cervello, cannondale, GT, Schwinn (lol, talk about a fall from grace) and many others in the commuter/hybrid market.
Ah. Yeah I know remember. Old Paccific/Dorrel.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Sometimes family owned is much worse.

In the case of Maico, family ownership killed what was by far the best dirt bike and moto company at the time.
I'd argue it's much worse to work for as usually means the people at the top want to keep workflows from the time the company office could fit in a shed. So when the company grows the workflows stay the same and everything happens super slow, people are overworked and make shit decisions because of that and fear of risk since the bosses need to approve every tiny bs thing. When a company brags about not "being a corporation" it's a fucking huge red flag for me as that usually means it's a shitshow.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'd argue it's much worse to work for as usually means the people at the top want to keep workflows from the time the company office could fit in a shed. So when the company grows the workflows stay the same and everything happens super slow, people are overworked and make shit decisions because of that and fear of risk since the bosses need to approve every tiny bs thing. When a company brags about not "being a corporation" it's a fucking huge red flag for me as that usually means it's a shitshow.
Yep, plus they usually have a few higher ups that should have been performance managed out but they're someone's kid or relative so they're left to poison a department. Family owned is a huge red flag I reckon.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I had completely different experiences. All the big corps I was working with or for all were really slow and sluggish when simple decisions had to be made. Every mid level manager was afraid and could name 5 process rules and procedures he had to oblige that simply led to stupendous long delays or best of all involvement of the legal department or external lawyers. Welcome to project time schedules exceeded by a factor of two. Complete different world to two major family owned businesses I worked with and am working right now where management employees are trusted, encouraged to take responsibility and are granted freedom to do it their way.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I had completely different experiences. All the big corps I was working with or for all were really slow and sluggish when simple decisions had to be made. Every mid level manager was afraid and could name 5 process rules and procedures he had to oblige that simply led to stupendous long delays or best of all involvement of the legal department or external lawyers. Welcome to project time schedules exceeded by a factor of two. Complete different world to two major family owned businesses I worked with and am working right now where management employees are trusted, encouraged to take responsibility and are granted freedom to do it their way.
On one hand sure those corpos are sometimes slow but this (at least in my experience) meant no stupid overworking that happens when those family owned companies grow to near corporate sizes. Sure the work is slower but the fast work you get at family owned companies only works as long as those companies are small.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

What’s wrong with stacking up some bricks and hopping over them? Do people need to be able to track their bunny hop progress to the half inch?
Do kerbs not exist anymore?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

What’s wrong with stacking up some bricks and hopping over them? Do people need to be able to track their bunny hop progress to the half inch?
Adult learners. Just a whole world of kookiness.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
You could buy a bmx or jump bike second hand for less than that contraption. And have waaaay more fun

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
To be fair, we could all buy coaching sessions that would make us far better riders but we choose Kashima and carbon parts.
yeah I see people like lee macormack and think "I bet I could learn a lot from that guy who never learned to ride for shit"

I definitely never think things like "poor guy has no marketable skills so makes shit up to take money from suckers"

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

I had tomato stakes, some screws and a piece of bamboo but it only measured in two inch increments.
A laser, a receiver, an alarm and a smoke machine would be more fun than the one in the link.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
To be fair, we could all buy coaching sessions that would make us far better riders but we choose Kashima and carbon parts.
The problem is that its kind of hard to find real advanced riders that are actually capable in teaching those riding techniques.
Around here all fast riders don't have a clue what they're doing. No analytical mind at all.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The problem is that its kind of hard to find real advanced riders that are actually capable in teaching those riding techniques.
It's kinda the opposite here in the UK. There are tons of ex pros coaching mtb full and part time all over the country. The issue I see all too often is NOT down to any lack of capability on the coaching side but lack of commitment on the side of the folk with "money for kashmina" who've booked themselves on a course expecting ONE afternoon's coaching session to hugely improve their riding when previously they've never spent even an hour practicing a skill and aren't prepared to follow up practicing or using any advice they've "learned" so go straight back to where they were previously. Infact. Many end up in a worse place entirely when they "think" they're doing what they were shown but in reality they're just riding around trying to adopt ugly new riding postures with poor timing and no real clue as to what they're doing wrong.
We do have a few companies with pretty shit riders coaching. But it's honestly not the norm.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Around here all fast riders don't have a clue what they're doing. No analytical mind at all.
I reckon Ben Cathro would do a decent job just based on his ability to analyse shit in videos. Both Gwin and Barel have made comments during race commentary that make me realise just how much they pick up on as well.

Half the fuckin Youtubers though - dear god. "Double your corner speed with this one simple trick" Fucking muppets.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Rhuaridh was also with dirtschool.
With Reece.
Innes too
And now Mark Scott I hear

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
It's kinda the opposite here in the UK. There are tons of ex pros coaching mtb full and part time all over the country. The issue I see all too often is NOT down to any lack of capability on the coaching side but lack of commitment on the side of the folk with "money for kashmina" who've booked themselves on a course expecting ONE afternoon's coaching session to hugely improve their riding when previously they've never spent even an hour practicing a skill and aren't prepared to follow up practicing or using any advice they've "learned" so go straight back to where they were previously. Infact. Many end up in a worse place entirely when they "think" they're doing what they were shown but in reality they're just riding around trying to adopt ugly new riding postures with poor timing and no real clue as to what they're doing wrong.
We do have a few companies with pretty shit riders coaching. But it's honestly not the norm.
hit the nail in the head with why most “crash courses” suck, it’s not the coaching, it’s the ability to actually work on yourself, take criticism, practice effectively and continue learning.

whether it’s bikes, cooking skills or spreadsheets, a 2hr lesson on its own does little to educate someone who has already developed bad habits