Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I do some coaching, but only with riders & racers who are at least "upper intermediate" and want some advice on how to polish their game. Anyone under that ability I tell to just practice messing around on their bike. Wheelies, skids, little jumps. Basically how kids learn how to handle a bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I do some coaching, but only with riders & racers who are at least "upper intermediate" and want some advice on how to polish their game. Anyone under that ability I tell to just practice messing around on their bike. Wheelies, skids, little jumps. Basically how kids learn how to handle a bike.
That's cool, working with the loose riders and another program in suspension and how to convey what they are feeling or experiencing and talk to the mechanic on site at nationals ...seems they have no idea on what's actually happening and what the little colored dials do on their bikes..

Similar situation , I have a basic sheet and we do a set up with square edge hits ..write down a baseline and have them figure it out on adjusters and sheet to see the difference in settings...let them try to put some effort into their suspension so it makes it easier when they need a change..

As long as we get them a good baseline they are never lost with settings..but they do get confused and overthink it and stuff that's not relevant...

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I like to give people tips, and for our XC-nation my trchnical capabilities are clearly in the top 5%, but I imagine giving lessons to paying groups of people would be very demoralizing.
I tend to give people 2 to 3 tips per ride max, so that they actually focus on those tips.

I also think that at a certain point, following a preset development training is a lot less useful than having an experienced rider pointing out those weaknesses and flaws that you dont notice yourself.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
my trchnical capabilities are clearly in the top 5%, but I imagine giving lessons to paying groups of people would be very demoralizing
have you tried just riding around shouting "you're shit mate" at anyone and everyone you pass on the trails. Maybe place a little gratuity box at the car park for your troubles?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
View attachment 203221

Pairs really well with a steep seat angle and plenty of pedal bob

finally a seat for this ding dong

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
for fucvks sake Gary, I know they don’t have Amish or Mennonite in the Uk- but EEBING is HUGE with the Amish. Come on over here to America and drive through western New York, PA or Northern Virginia and you will see well oiled family units cruising to the store on a fleet of brand new pedal assist IBD ebikes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
for fucvks sake Gary, I know they don’t have Amish or Mennonite in the Uk- but EEBING is HUGE with the Amish. Come on over here to America and drive through western New York, PA or Northern Virginia and you will see well oiled family units cruising to the store on a fleet of brand new pedal assist IBD ebikes.
I'm sure they charge them up with firewood and animal fat.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Really?

For some reason, there is constant flow of Mennonite that come here to vacation and always stay at the same motel.

They have these "bikes" that are like huge scooters. Flat platform to stand on and 16-20" wheels. I figured there was something in the religion about gears/chains/shifters being a no-no which is why they always ride these.

E-bikes seem like a huge no-no.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Really?

For some reason, there is constant flow of Mennonite that come here to vacation and always stay at the same motel.

They have these "bikes" that are like huge scooters. Flat platform to stand on and 16-20" wheels. I figured there was something in the religion about gears/chains/shifters being a no-no which is why they always ride these.

E-bikes seem like a huge no-no.
Oh man, I've watched many things on them. Its a lot more complicated than lumping them all into one group called Mennonites.

Swartzentruber's are some of the most conservative and they are the ones who would most likely the ones that would have churches that would restrict access to motorized things like that.

Other groups are a lot less strict than what we might imagine. They have cell phones, vehicles and youtube channels.

This guy is neither, but follows some of the same practices

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Listening to the latest Pinkbike podcast with Brook Macdonald, I get the same impression as the previous interviews with him (3-4). Every time, he whines and shits on the GT bike he had at the time because it was supposedly so bad, while Gee and Rachel were both winning every race with it. Henry told him « I get you inherited the GT that the Athertons developed, so it wasn’t you that had designed it ». He said « yeah maybe it worked for Gee but we are very different riders with different riding styles ». What about Rachel? Was her riding style the same as Gee’s?

I get that it happens that someone doesn’t gel with a bike, and that’s totally fine, but when others are winning every race on it, then the bike must not be total shit. Just say that it didn’t suit you and stop shitting on the company/bike. And maybe once you’ve said it once in an interview it’s fine, but don’t bring it back up in every single interview tou do.

He also said that having a good bike is like 80% of what you need to win today and while it’s important, I don’t think that a racer’s talent and everything else only makes up for 20% of the equation. Today’s race bikes are pretty dialed and some racers switch teams/bikes and still do well on totally different bikes.

edit: He also mentions being scared on his bike for the last 4 years and that being a horrible position to be in. Basically giving all the fault to his bike for his bad results. Maybe it’s time to design his own bikes.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Probably put this up already but Profile dropped this silly wedge system and went back to a normal solid axle.
I found my cranks the other day, I keep them because they cost so much, but they were as disappointing as the Fox Z1.
They both pop up in the shed from time to time just to make me angry, I do the "What's in this box? Arrgh, fuck you, piece of shit!"
1699603052983.png

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Listening to the latest Pinkbike podcast with Brook Macdonald, I get the same impression as the previous interviews with him (3-4). Every time, he whines and shits on the GT bike he had at the time because it was supposedly so bad, while Gee and Rachel were both winning every race with it. Henry told him « I get you inherited the GT that the Athertons developed, so it wasn’t you that had designed it ». He said « yeah maybe it worked for Gee but we are very different riders with different riding styles ». What about Rachel? Was her riding style the same as Gee’s?

I get that it happens that someone doesn’t gel with a bike, and that’s totally fine, but when others are winning every race on it, then the bike must not be total shit. Just say that it didn’t suit you and stop shitting on the company/bike. And maybe once you’ve said it once in an interview it’s fine, but don’t bring it back up in every single interview tou do.

He also said that having a good bike is like 80% of what you need to win today and while it’s important, I don’t think that a racer’s talent and everything else only makes up for 20% of the equation. Today’s race bikes are pretty dialed and some racers switch teams/bikes and still do well on totally different bikes.

edit: He also mentions being scared on his bike for the last 4 years and that being a horrible position to be in. Basically giving all the fault to his bike for his bad results. Maybe it’s time to design his own bikes.
Except
Remember when he switched from GT to Mondraker? Huge jump in his results, a couple top 3 results, immediately.
I'd say looking back at the results he would be 100% accurate if he said it was the bike.

Rachel could have dominated on any bike, and for all the hate Gee has had in his career I would consider him a legend of the sport a truly special rider in his prime.

Look at the jump in results after Intense let Gwin and Dak Build there own race Rig, Put Gwin back on the podium and Dakota is currently one of the fastest guys out there.

Some guys switch bikes and it immediately reflects in the results, good and bad.
Gwin on Specialized really set him back an entire season same when he went to intense after winning on YT. Pierron coming out of nowhere to put that Commencal at the pinnacle of the sport. Look at what Kolb has done on that Atherton rig VS prior.
Tuhoto made his name on a V10 as a privateer, his move to Mondraker has not helped his results. (maybe Brook is right?)

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Probably put this up already but Profile dropped this silly wedge system and went back to a normal solid axle.
I found my cranks the other day, I keep them because they cost so much, but they were as disappointing as the Fox Z1.
They both pop up in the shed from time to time just to make me angry, I do the "What's in this box? Arrgh, fuck you, piece of shit!"
View attachment 203383
What kind of bike were you running them on? And what issue were you having?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What kind of bike were you running them on? And what issue were you having?
The cranks? The axles cracked, the arms had no treatment on the inside so they rusted like crazy and they drilled two large holes in each arm so they'd dump dirt on the splines.

EDIT- Even the video they had on setup was dumb, they said you had to use a torque wrench then the dude in the video hears the wrench click but tightens them more anyway.
Was on a hardtail.

SAINT FTMFW!

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The cranks? The axles cracked, the arms had no treatment on the inside so they rusted like crazy and they drilled two large holes in each arm so they'd dump dirt on the splines.

EDIT- Even the video they had on setup was dumb, they said you had to use a torque wrench then the dude in the video hears the wrench click but tightens them more anyway.
Was on a hardtail.

SAINT FTMFW!
I guess their usual market of bmx and Dj doesn’t get so much mud and water in there so often; also less actual pedalling in those disciplines.
Not making excuses for them, but profile have been the industry standard in BMX for years, seems wild that they failed so badly in your case.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What's wrong is if I'm buying chainrings, I can't sort out all the oval bullshit from the round.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Except
Remember when he switched from GT to Mondraker? Huge jump in his results, a couple top 3 results, immediately.
I'd say looking back at the results he would be 100% accurate if he said it was the bike.

Rachel could have dominated on any bike, and for all the hate Gee has had in his career I would consider him a legend of the sport a truly special rider in his prime.

Look at the jump in results after Intense let Gwin and Dak Build there own race Rig, Put Gwin back on the podium and Dakota is currently one of the fastest guys out there.

Some guys switch bikes and it immediately reflects in the results, good and bad.
Gwin on Specialized really set him back an entire season same when he went to intense after winning on YT. Pierron coming out of nowhere to put that Commencal at the pinnacle of the sport. Look at what Kolb has done on that Atherton rig VS prior.
Tuhoto made his name on a V10 as a privateer, his move to Mondraker has not helped his results. (maybe Brook is right?)
I still don't think it was the bikes fault. Especially since the Asstertons were winning on them.

That said, it's probably because that bike didn't fit him personally. It's still no reason to shit on them.

I had a Giant back in the day and I didn't like a lot of things about it. A decade later I was at Whistler and the Trek rental place was closed, so I ended up renting a bike that was a "game changer" of the time. A Giant Reign. I can't even explain how that bike sucked when I rode it. It was so fucking sketchy pedaling on flat trails. The way that bike would almost come to a complete stop when it hit a rock. The rear suspension went into about 75% sag as soon as I dropped it into granny on a hill climb. I wanted to walk it down hills that I'd ride all day on my XC hardtail... I know people loved that bike. But for me it was a Fucking Piece of Shit! But millions of other people can't be wrong for loving it. The point is that Giant didn't PAY me. I can talk shit about it.

If I were looking at his resume, I'd not bother hiring a shit talker like him. I think that's the point.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I still don't think it was the bikes fault. Especially since the Asstertons were winning on them.

That said, it's probably because that bike didn't fit him personally. It's still no reason to shit on them.

I had a Giant back in the day and I didn't like a lot of things about it. A decade later I was at Whistler and the Trek rental place was closed, so I ended up renting a bike that was a "game changer" of the time. A Giant Reign. I can't even explain how that bike sucked when I rode it. It was so fucking sketchy pedaling on flat trails. The way that bike would almost come to a complete stop when it hit a rock. The rear suspension went into about 75% sag as soon as I dropped it into granny on a hill climb. I wanted to walk it down hills that I'd ride all day on my XC hardtail... I know people loved that bike. But for me it was a Fucking Piece of Shit! But millions of other people can't be wrong for loving it. The point is that Giant didn't PAY me. I can talk shit about it.

If I were looking at his resume, I'd not bother hiring a shit talker like him. I think that's the point.
I always find it amazing that Minnaar has been on the same package forever and still manages to suggest that the bike isn’t working how he needs it to. You’re the number one guy on the number one team, with full factory support! You’ve won races on an Orange that fitted like a kids bike, but can’t work with your V10 until it’s gets 13mm more in the chain stay…what more do you need!

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I always find it amazing that Minnaar has been on the same package forever and still manages to suggest that the bike isn’t working how he needs it to. You’re the number one guy on the number one team, with full factory support! You’ve won races on an Orange that fitted like a kids bike, but can’t work with your V10 until it’s gets 13mm more in the chain stay…what more do you need!
The chainstay ain’t what’s holding him back on the V10. It’s the flagpole length seat tube, and the large seat stick out required to clear the wheel at full travel. Like bro on the medium for me it’s like if my trail bike only had an 80mm dropper.