Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Most of the fastest WC DH racers have their saddle way higher on their race bikes than most jerrys think they *need* their droppers at for a reason.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I guess their usual market of bmx and Dj doesn’t get so much mud and water in there so often; also less actual pedalling in those disciplines.
Not making excuses for them, but profile have been the industry standard in BMX for years, seems wild that they failed so badly in your case.
no what he's saying is that Profile discontinued that wedge style axle altogether.

and i believe the holes in the cranks are for the welding process

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Most of the fastest WC DH racers have their saddle way higher on their race bikes than most jerrys think they *need* their droppers at for a reason.
Well you can pretty comfortably sit and pedal a v10 with the seat as low as it can be run. It’s not like XC perfect extension height but it certainly isn’t going to blow your knees out. Everyone on non-SC bike in WCDH certainly look like they’re running their seats way lower from how much their knees are bent.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I still don't think it was the bikes fault. Especially since the Asstertons were winning on them.

That said, it's probably because that bike didn't fit him personally. It's still no reason to shit on them.

I had a Giant back in the day and I didn't like a lot of things about it. A decade later I was at Whistler and the Trek rental place was closed, so I ended up renting a bike that was a "game changer" of the time. A Giant Reign. I can't even explain how that bike sucked when I rode it. It was so fucking sketchy pedaling on flat trails. The way that bike would almost come to a complete stop when it hit a rock. The rear suspension went into about 75% sag as soon as I dropped it into granny on a hill climb. I wanted to walk it down hills that I'd ride all day on my XC hardtail... I know people loved that bike. But for me it was a Fucking Piece of Shit! But millions of other people can't be wrong for loving it. The point is that Giant didn't PAY me. I can talk shit about it.

If I were looking at his resume, I'd not bother hiring a shit talker like him. I think that's the point.
So you're clapped out rental bike experience in whistler proves the Bulldog doesn't know what he's talking about? Makes sense

Gee Atherton was the Troy Brosnan of DH at his peak. Second or third best guy every year for almost a generation. The guy was always on the podium.
Rachel came out of retirement 5 years later and won first try on a bike she's never raced against women half her age.

And GT went to a totally different platform after that bike Brook was on.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Well you can pretty comfortably sit and pedal a v10 with the seat as low as it can be run. It’s not like XC perfect extension height but it certainly isn’t going to blow your knees out. Everyone on non-SC bike in WCDH certainly look like they’re running their seats way lower from how much their knees are bent.
Doesn't your saddle have to be at a certain heigth on a DH bike? Somewhere halfway up your thigh so that you can feel/steer the bike in corners? That is higher than most joeys run their saddle.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
don‘t you need yours extra low so your kilt doesn‘t catch the saddle?
Scots Tartan Kilts are generally pleated so they don't really catch on a saddle. Just gotta, watch we don't inadvertently sit on our own free hanging genitalia.
You're probably confusing our kilts with your own leather fettish wear kilt.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What the actual fuck are you on about?
:rofl:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Doesn't your saddle have to be at a certain heigth on a DH bike? Somewhere halfway up your thigh so that you can feel/steer the bike in corners? That is higher than most joeys run their saddle.
based on the picture of not v10s it looks like about just above the knee, with straight legs. Which for me would put the top of the seat about 10mm above the top of the seat tube on a medium v10.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, I have noticed that when I take my endurpo bike to the bike park, if I slam the saddle as low as it'll go, I end up with bruises on the sides of my knees. Leaving it at the normal height where its just above the knee and bumps into the thighs is a lot more comfortable. I noticed the same thing when I borrowed a buddy's bike with a 210mm dropper instead of my usual 170.

There's the whole bit of geometry, where if a rider is standing mostly over the center of the bike and the saddle is going back at some angle (~70 degrees), extending the seatpost could move the saddle back behind their legs, and shortening it could bring it forward (in addition to down) and make contact with their legs.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
6ft 2 Greg's seat height
1699912919010.png

5ft7 Laurie's seat height.
1699912876922.png

5ft7 Jackson's seat height
1699913082988.png

5ft8 Nina's seat height
1699913592878.png

Seeing as Greg has a good few inches MOAR seatpost exposed than his short team mates I'm fairly confident he'd just lower it if it was the HUGE issue you seem to think it is for him.
Mibbie drop him a DM over on insta just incase he's overlooked this idea though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But when I go to the park and coast down all the trails, I assume that's how the pros win their races. They don't have to pedal because it's so tiring.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
6ft 2 Greg's seat height
View attachment 203538

5ft7 Laurie's seat height.
View attachment 203537

5ft7 Jackson's seat height
View attachment 203539

5ft8 Nina's seat height
View attachment 203540

Seeing as Greg has a good few inches MOAR seatpost exposed than his short team mates I'm fairly confident he'd just lower it if it was the HUGE issue you seem to think it is for him.
Mibbie drop him a DM over on insta just incase he's overlooked this idea though.
Look all pretty normal to me.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
based on the picture of not v10s it looks like about just above the knee, with straight legs. Which for me would put the top of the seat about 10mm above the top of the seat tube on a medium v10.
Just above the knee sounds low to me.
Nina Hoffmann was running a large frame on the previous model and had about 12-14 cm seatpost showing above the seat tube at 5'8".

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Just above the knee sounds low to me.
Nine Hoffmann was running a large frame on the previous model and had about 12-14 cm seatpost showing above the seat tube at 5'8".
Main observation taken from this is that two bikes have the logo upside down on the seat post.
My main suggestion for this thread is you guys should pick a unit system and be a dick about it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
BURGTEC init? :drag:
Every single burgtec crabon bar I've seen in the last year has had it's centre markings applied squint

You do see tons of seatposts run backwards on DH bikes tho. Simply so the rail clamp better suits the nose up saddle angle with a slacker seat tube

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
So you're clapped out rental bike experience in whistler proves the Bulldog doesn't know what he's talking about? Makes sense

Gee Atherton was the Troy Brosnan of DH at his peak. Second or third best guy every year for almost a generation. The guy was always on the podium.
Rachel came out of retirement 5 years later and won first try on a bike she's never raced against women half her age.

And GT went to a totally different platform after that bike Brook was on.
So it's the bikes fault that he didn't win. You and your boyfriend must be right.

Yet the siblings won on that shitty bike multiple times. Shitty bikes win races? Yay!

As far as my experience, since you can't comprehend -
The Giant bike was new as it was late June and a lot of the valley trails were just opening.
I didn't like it.
"Millions" of other riders love it.
My opinion doesn't mean the rest of the population is wrong.
I wasn't paid shit to ride it.

As far as his experience -
A WC racer tried to sell himself to bicycle brands.
GT I'm sure let him ride their bike to see what he thought.
He, said YES!
GT pays him.
He talks shit about them as his teammates are winning.

Sounds like a sore loser to me.

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
So it's the bikes fault that he didn't win. You and your boyfriend must be right.

Yet the siblings won on that shitty bike multiple times. Shitty bikes win races? Yay!

As far as my experience, since you can't comprehend -
The Giant bike was new as it was late June and a lot of the valley trails were just opening.
I didn't like it.
"Millions" of other riders love it.
My opinion doesn't mean the rest of the population is wrong.
I wasn't paid shit to ride it.

As far as his experience -
A WC racer tried to sell himself to bicycle brands.
GT I'm sure let him ride their bike to see what he thought.
He, said YES!
GT pays him.
He talks shit about them as his teammates are winning.

Sounds like a sore loser to me.
The grown man keyboard warrior calling a professional racer a loser because of his opinion.
And I must be gay for laughing at you're unhinged comparison between you're rental bikes relationship to a WC DH racer and his rig. OK

Nobody cares about you or you're experience with you're rental bike
FYI Brooks teammates did not win on that bike either. Just the facts

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just listened to the Bulldog podcast and I thought he didn't really bash that bike that bad really. Just says it didn't work for him which is fair enough. Some people don't adapt to different things as well.

Either way, beats listening to the boring interviews where they stick to the corporate script or refuse to say what didn't work for them or whatever.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The grown man keyboard warrior calling a professional racer a loser because of his opinion.
And I must be gay for laughing at you're unhinged comparison between you're rental bikes relationship to a WC DH racer and his rig. OK

Nobody cares about you or you're experience with you're rental bike
FYI Brooks teammates did not win on that bike either. Just the facts
McDonald's results on his new bikes! Awesome!

#it'sstillthebike
#thisbikesuckstoo
#I'mjustyouraveragepro
#averagejoeaveragepro
#lookingfornewsponsorsnextyear
#itsnotmeitsstillGT
#me&fwp<3

Screenshot_20231116_122945_Chrome.jpg

Gee's results on GT. I see a lot more single digits on his resume.

Screenshot_20231117_100708_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231117_100703_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231117_100654_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231117_100646_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
It probably is the bike a little, coupled with coming back from being paralysed in the most competitive era of DH racing. Could be either thing really.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Grrr, see a nice shiny stainless steel hardtail frame then see they run the same length HT on both sizes.
Headset spacers suck, slammed stems FTW!

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I really don't like the feel of oval rings. I always ride clipped and think they suit flat pedals much better.
I don’t even notice a feel difference clipped in. Maybe it has better traction when putting power down on tech climbs maybe it doesn’t. I don’t think I’m going to go out of my way to buy another one but I don’t notice it enough to want to take it off. Garbunk might have a different profile that isn’t Absolutely awful though.