Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I resemble this...

For me, a wool base layer top is the best at avoiding the "cold and clammy" feel at lower temps, so that's what I wear probably 6 - 7 months out of a year here in NorCal and the Sierra. That chilling effect doesn't bother me when it's warm out, in fact I welcome it, so I wear synthetic tops in the summer though.

Wool is somewhat fireproof vs synthetics which turn into napalm at a certain temperature. Which is probably more relavant than people think. I have had jobs that banned synthetic clothes but if you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to warm yourself and dry your clothes by fire, wool is going to dry faster and less likely to turn into a blob of melted plastic.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Synthetic is warmer for the weight.

Neither is perfect, but IME, people have been pulled way too far into the marketing of the wool industry, who is attempting to justify a higher cost material that has some negative qualities at least some of the time.

I find the biggest benefit with wool is on expedition stuff, it won't get nasty. If you bunch your stuff up in fester-piles after riding, wool may also be for that person. It's not so much the washing, it's the prevention of bacteria growing, which if dried immediately, takes a big bite out of. THere are other things too, like adding vinegar to the wash, etc. I don't find a big stink problem, but I don't get drenched in it and it dries so much faster, so those seem to compliment themselves.

I don't find a difference in base layers if I need to stop and do something...that's just the old issue of having enough clothing for your output. It'll never match 100%, you have to adjust. If it's a cold day, first thing to do if you are going to f-around to work on something for a while is throw on the down puffy. Or, if it's really cold, open a few handwarmers and put them in your pocket so body warmth will jump-start em, throw on the mittens, put on the puffy, etc. This will also help to heat you a lot faster when you do start generating heat on the bike again, rather than riding cold for the next hour. But if you have enough stuff to stay warm when standing around, it will drench you when you get warm on the bike.
no wonder you have so many bags strapped to your bikes :rofl:

In all seriousness, I have a couple of silkweight synthetic tops, some lightweights, and a mid-weight. Then I have a couple of micro-fleece tops, an unlined wind vest, a lined vest, an unlined softshell jacket, and many various other jackets. If I know it will be a hammerfest, it's always a silkweight base layer and a fleece. Then a shell to match the conditions/temps.

My biggest concern in winter is managing moisture. I try to never let moisture get trapped inside a garment, so I vent as much as possible. There's a balance between breathability and moisture management. You can get away with less insulation with a windshell since it also traps your body heat, but if you stop for whatever reason and the sweat freezes inside your shell, good luck getting warm again.

Though if I know it will be a more social ride, or I'm skiing with the kids, I'll use merino. Like I said, less stink, and more comfort if/when I stop.

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
A few years ago I realized that I was partially allergic to merino wool. Like, every ski trip I would end up with a rash around my ribs, arms, and thighs where the stuff rubbed. I gave my merino stuff away and switched back to synthetic and I haven't noticed a difference in warmth or stink. Plus it dries out much faster.

It rarely gets cold enough here to even consider baselayers when riding. Even when I do dawn starts in February (~20-30 F), if I just wear regular riding pants over knee pads, and a light packable windbreaker over a regular bike jersey, I'm totally fine. I'm shedding the windbreaker within like 20 minutes of starting once I get warmed up too. As long as the stuff I wear wicks sweat well and dries out quickly, I'm totally fine.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, when I was getting a new CSU to replace a Lyrik one that started creaking, it was the same price just to buy a complete Yari on sale...and same chassis.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Crikey

When that type of bullshit happens, they should at least refund a core charge or something, like automotive stuff. Make them pay for the garbage they gave ya.
Yeah I might try and get a crash replacement discount on the CSU or something. It's 3 years old so out of warranty but I don't wanna buy a new fork at the moment unless I'm converting to a 29 front wheel.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah, when I was getting a new CSU to replace a Lyrik one that started creaking, it was the same price just to buy a complete Yari on sale...and same chassis.
Wonder if the Domain is the same chassis as the ZEB?

*edit* nope. No good.

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Yeah I might try and get a crash replacement discount on the CSU or something. It's 3 years old so out of warranty but I don't wanna buy a new fork at the moment unless I'm converting to a 29 front wheel.
Why do you need a new CSU?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Overpriced USD forks, so hot right now!

do you have arnodized stuff on your mOtO?

Shock and fork come with hard arnodized parts, paying tribute to the classic moto style.

LOL, that fuckin price is definitely aftermarket 'mOtO' suspension style at least

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
do you have arnodized stuff on your mOtO?

Shock and fork come with hard arnodized parts, paying tribute to the classic moto style.

LOL, that fuckin price is definitely aftermarket 'mOtO' suspension style at least
now if they were ARNOLDized they might seem a little tougher...except, aww shit, the flex is built in. says it right there in his shirt.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
excuse you. Fox 2 centuries ago
so they should call that dentist kit MOTO VINTAGE*

* (cept for the singlecrown fork, but just stay with us on this because it's aRnodized) :rofl:

does kinda look like the last ones on this page at least

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yes.
Do you even ride a roadbike?
hate to say it, but I agree with scary gary here. Doubletap is shit, even SRAM abandoned it. Shimano is objectively better here. Rode Apex 1x doubletap and hated it. Have some weird chinese doubletap shifters and similarly hate it (the motion, not the shifters).

That being said, I have force AXS on my roadie and absolutely adore the one click per side. I wouldn't mind having two buttons on each side (so I can pick my wedgie and shift at the same time) but if I had to choose one or the other, a button on each side is dope. I'd take the same on my MTB if there was a way to do it cleanly.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
@toodles
cheap Zeb here: RockShox ZEB Select R 27,5" DebonAir 170 Tapered Boost 27.5" Suspension Fork | Bike-Discount
they have also a 29er for 429€
no idea how much that is in kangaroos money...
Embargo'ed and can't send to Australia.

Why do you need a new CSU?
Mine developed a slight creak a few months ago in Sun Peaks but I put off doing anything because I have no organisational skills. Just got back from the Maydena Jam event and now it sounds horrific and genuinely worried me on some of the laps. Like I can actually feel movement in it, not just hear it. I could try pressing the steerer out and reinstalling with retaining compound but a new fork or CSU is cheaper than the dental work I'd require if it let go suddenly on a patented toodles "close-enough-is-good-enough" attempt at clearing jumps.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Embargo'ed and can't send to Australia.

Mine developed a slight creak a few months ago in Sun Peaks but I put off doing anything because I have no organisational skills. Just got back from the Maydena Jam event and now it sounds horrific and genuinely worried me on some of the laps. Like I can actually feel movement in it, not just hear it. I could try pressing the steerer out and reinstalling with retaining compound but a new fork or CSU is cheaper than the dental work I'd require if it let go suddenly on a patented toodles "close-enough-is-good-enough" attempt at clearing jumps.
Suspension shop around here are doing that unpressing and pressing it back in and seems to fix the problem. As far as how it might hold in the hands of a professional short jumper, that I don't know. ;)

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Suspension shop around here are doing that unpressing and pressing it back in and seems to fix the problem. As far as how it might hold in the hands of a professional short jumper, that I don't know. ;)
Yeah I'm going to contact a couple of shops and see. I don't have access to a press and lathe at my current job or I'd give it a go myself and see how it felt.

The current specials on forks and stuff make getting a new fork a nice option but I kind of wanted to wait till I was going to a new frame so I could get a 29" fork

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah I'm going to contact a couple of shops and see. I don't have access to a press and lathe at my current job or I'd give it a go myself and see how it felt.

The current specials on forks and stuff make getting a new fork a nice option but I kind of wanted to wait till I was going to a new frame so I could get a 29" fork
what happened to the old fox CSU upgrade?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
what happened to the old fox CSU upgrade?

I was just gonna wear headphones to hide the noise, but not I can feel it I think its beyond being fixed with Triflow.

(as an aside - I still love that stuff. Been around for yonks and is still my fav chain lube)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
One of my road bikes is a 2008 vintage with 2x10 SRAM Force and still gets a thousand or so miles a year on it. Zero issues with double tap and certainly no issues with shifter cables? Not sure I've ever replaced them...

I also have Etap Red and zero issues with that shifting ergonomics either :p

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't think I've ever waited til one got that bad :rofl:

That's fuckin sketchy man.

I'd almost peen the damn crowns in with a rock to pinch the stanchion mid ride if that shit started happening.
Yeah, where's that nope gif you were using for bears?

You know what would solve that problem? A dual crown.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Enduro is Bro terminology.
yeah no kidding :rofl:

tell that to the dipshits that keep trying to mansplain to me how that's the case.

You know...the ones who have never owned a dh bike, much less gone fast on one.

How does this work? Do cross country bikes do everything enduro bikes used to do now? Maybe the enderpabros can feel the downhillers agony :rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
unfortunately its the stuff the enduro bike does that the downhill bike can't that has me stuck.
or a mountainless continent

could be either really....

;)

I never owned a dh bike over a trailbike. Given the choice it would be a trailbike only. But only an idiot thinks they own an equivalent when it comes to seeing god on the scariest stuff you can take a bike down

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
unfortunately its the stuff the enduro bike does that the downhill bike can't that has me stuck. Definitely need more bikes in the quiver ASAP.
Unfortunately its the stuff pedal assist motorbikes do that XC cant that has many stuck.
In all seriousness, XC bikes go exceptionally close to all out DH.
I should find a reformed Heroin junkie and ask was the purer the Stuff and closer to death… Was that the ultimate chase. Or was gear washed with crap still close enough?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Unfortunately its the stuff pedal assist motorbikes do that XC cant that has many stuck.
In all seriousness, XC bikes go exceptionally close to all out DH.
wot?

Do you mean you can get an XC bike down a DH track or something? I mean yeah but gee that don't last, nor would they get warrantied...

Reminds me of those brands that advertise their downcountry thingies by showing dudes doing a million things on them (Spur, TEMPO, etc) that would 100% get your warranty voided if you did that in real life to your bike.