Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
you're australian, where else could it have possibly happened?
Mainland Australia sucks arse, I'll grant that. A few decent tracks but mostly meh. But yeah, Maydena in Tasmania is as gnarly a park as any I've seen anywhere in the world. I think its actually like a bit of NZ got chipped off and stolen by Australia. There is a reason they're sending Hardline there.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Mainland Australia sucks arse, I'll grant that. A few decent tracks but mostly meh. But yeah, Maydena in Tasmania is as gnarly a park as any I've seen anywhere in the world. I think its actually like a bit of NZ got chipped off and stolen by Australia. There is a reason they're sending Hardline there.

don't me wrong, I fully recognize that the beach jungle of your homeland has the only loopty loo ever seen on a world cup dh track

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
And im driving down for the day monday. And i own DH bike.
By the way my Meta goes all right for an XC bike.
we arent nz. They have more class than us

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
wot?

Do you mean you can get an XC bike down a DH track or something? I mean yeah but gee that don't last, nor would they get warrantied...

Reminds me of those brands that advertise their downcountry thingies by showing dudes doing a million things on them (Spur, TEMPO, etc) that would 100% get your warranty voided if you did that in real life to your bike.
It's true a lot of the time when you aren't coming down a double black diamond on a DH bike. And most people don't ride that kind of terrain...so it's even truthier. But on that kind of terrain, big nope. But it takes some pretty crazy terrain again for that to be the case IME.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
hate to say it, but I agree with scary gary here. Doubletap is shit, even SRAM abandoned it. Shimano is objectively better here. Rode Apex 1x doubletap and hated it. Have some weird chinese doubletap shifters and similarly hate it (the motion, not the shifters).

That being said, I have force AXS on my roadie and absolutely adore the one click per side. I wouldn't mind having two buttons on each side (so I can pick my wedgie and shift at the same time) but if I had to choose one or the other, a button on each side is dope. I'd take the same on my MTB if there was a way to do it cleanly.
shimano can’t be modded to 13s. your arguments are invalid

(also apex, you have no shame? that’s like admitting you have SX parts on your mtb)

and sram didn’t abandon it, they just moved on to axs. the new mechanical 12s apex is of course still doubletap

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Suspension shop around here are doing that unpressing and pressing it back in and seems to fix the problem. As far as how it might hold in the hands of a professional short jumper, that I don't know. ;)
Friend of mine in Squamish re-presses CSUs for people in his garage. He rolls around on forks with one black and one gold leg.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Friend of mine in Squamish re-presses CSUs for people in his garage. He rolls around on forks with one black and one gold leg.
back at Durango Mountain Bike Camp in 1996 one of the shop-rat fellow kids there had a fork that had one Mag 21 SL leg, one Specialized FSX Carbon leg. easier in the days of bolt on crowns eh

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is what's wrong and what's right, all at the same time:

The worst thing about the maximum performance of anything from AB...it is not common knowledge, but, they MUST be lubricated with organic baby seal tears. The only way to get organic baby seal tears is to beat a baby seal with the tusk of a narwhal. While both are hard to acquire, the gains are as close to a miracle as you can get (with out access to the Lance Armstrong RX cabinet).

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This is what's wrong and what's right, all at the same time:

The worst thing about the maximum performance of anything from AB...it is not common knowledge, but, they MUST be lubricated with organic baby seal tears. The only way to get organic baby seal tears is to beat a baby seal with the tusk of a narwhal. While both are hard to acquire, the gains are as close to a miracle as you can get (with out access to the Lance Armstrong RX cabinet).
Are you referring to how he is shilling $300 bottom brackets or the fact that he just complains about everything (would fit in well here).

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
LMAO. It's bound to happen. It's easy to remember to charge the battery pack on the derailer or seat post. But the little coin sized battery in the shifter/lever is easily forgotten.

Have that kid tape a reserve battery (CR2032 or whatever) to the bike so it's there next time. That's what I do.
I can't imagine being into tech enough that you want wireless shifting, but not into tech enough to download the app and use it once a week to check your battery levels. My wife begged me to not replace the XX AXS on her new Spark with XX1 11spd, so I told her it's her responsibility to stay on top of the batteries and I'll have zero sympathy for mistakes.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
That's a great idea. A coin battery taped to the bottom of the stem or something. I have trouble with my shifters in the cold. They're fine when it's warm, but sometimes one shifter or both will simply quit below 40 degrees.
I bet if you check battery levels during the cold they are low. The only other thing I've seen causing similar issues is the battery tabs needing some bending, but that wouldn't change with temperature.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I bet if you check battery levels during the cold they are low. The only other thing I've seen causing similar issues is the battery tabs needing some bending, but that wouldn't change with temperature.
yeah, for these batteries I may buy some "higher end" coin batteries from a brand name. These are off amazon and they work fine in my heart rate, cadence sensor, etc. etc., but they simply may be more temperature sensitive. The first ones lasted plenty of time.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I can't imagine being into tech enough that you want wireless shifting, but not into tech enough to download the app and use it once a week to check your battery levels. My wife begged me to not replace the XX AXS on her new Spark with XX1 11spd, so I told her it's her responsibility to stay on top of the batteries and I'll have zero sympathy for mistakes.
You have done wireless shifting, right? AXS? It is actually really impressive. The speed, the acuracy. It's actually really good. Like really good. Did I say it was really good? And I hate SRAM. So there's that. But hate is a strong word, too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You have done wireless shifting, right? AXS? It is actually really impressive. The speed, the acuracy. It's actually really good. Like really good. Did I say it was really good? And I hate SRAM. So there's that. But hate is a strong word, too.
Do they make it in 11spd?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
you've done mountainbiking in the middle of fucking nowhere right? Like 6 hours deep? The dependability of cables, the fact that you can get your cold ass home. It's actually really good. And I hate SRAM. So there's that. But hate is not a strong enough word.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If I check the same batteries this morning that gave me trouble in the cold 4 months ago, they are green and ready to go. The app is kind of shitty and can't predict battery loss due to cold. These are probably just bad or particularly temperature sensitive batteries.
So much this. I hate SRAM, I think they're full of shit, but AXS shifting is objectively good, lower maintenance, and generally super reliable. Plus you get rid of your shifting cables and clean up the handlebars quite a bit.
you've done mountainbiking in the middle of fucking nowhere right? Like 6 hours deep? The dependability of cables, the fact that you can get your cold ass home. It's actually really good. And I hate SRAM. So there's that. But hate is not a strong enough word.
What happens if your cable breaks? Housing gets crushed? Bolt comes loose? It's easy enough to pack a spare battery pack in your fanny pack if you're going on a six hour ride. I've done 5 hour rides on my road bike without issue and without a spare battery pack, and I've gone out for a ride not realizing the battery was low, starting with a red warning light, and finishing the ride without issue.

I'm at least happy we can all agree to hate sram

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The speed
You must be joking or more likely deluded.
AXS T type shifts noticeably slower than mechanical.
And personally I felt all previous 12spd wide ratio gearing shifted dreadfully slowly to begin with.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My wife begged me to not replace the XX AXS on her new Spark with XX1 11spd, so I told her it's her responsibility to stay on top of the batteries and I'll have zero sympathy for mistakes.
Sounds a fun household
:shocked:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
True. I can see where that would be a concern. But really, the batteries weigh about as much as a couple AAA's. So not really a big deal. Now if it just stops working, like it lost it's ability to do anything. Yeah, you're probably proper fucked.

My days of 6 hour rides in BFE don't really exist anymore. More like a Whole Enchilada shuttle type thing where as long as it's mostly downhill, I'm not too worried.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
You must be joking or more likely deluded.
AXS T type shifts noticeably slower than mechanical.
And personally I felt all previous 12spd wide ratio gearing shifted dreadfully slowly to begin with.
Really? I haven't noticed. I'll have to pay more attention. I just got a t type axs. Felt like the regular axs. Maybe my head is up my axs. :D

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Does anyone want a smart trainer? I've got a Hammer2. Hooks up with all the cycling apps like Zwift. Mimics climbs and descents, all that stuff. Turns out I just don't really like any of it. Call me old school.

Got a set of rollers. Way more fun. And scary. For me :)