Quantcast

Tick, tick, tick...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've had that sound happen a million times. I run my cranks, etc way too long. Last time, it was a bent chainring tooth with a bit of a barb on it.

Before that, it went away not from greasing the chainring bolts, but from taking the middle ring off the tabs and greasing them.

Another time, the creak came from the bolts somehow. They were greased perfectly. But I took them all out and replaced them and the sound went away.

All of the above suggestions are valid. That's what sucks about trying to find that sound. :shakefist:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My main bike is a freekin nightmare. I need to rebuild my rear wheel. My front brake line has a Kink that even though it works perfect I can't seem to let it go.. The pedals need to be rebuilt. My fork needs to be serviced soon. I think the Stans in my tires is dried out too. I need a new seat also. I'm a mess. Anyone ever try GoodBridge hoses? Make any difference?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
have you tried all my suggestions yet?
I believe so... You suggested checking for a rogue length chainbolt (where originally I thought you were talking about a chain link)... which it's not, and the granny tabs hitting the guide backplate... also not. The chainguide plate is black ano... as is the granny tabs... they are mark free... plus I can see the gap between them when I look down and hear the tick.

I'm stumped to the point where I'm expecting the frame to have a hairline crack somewhere where flex occurs from pedaling.

Last edited:
Its a long shot but i had a similiar issue on my XC bike.
I bought new seat and seatpost as it sounded like that was the tick.
It wasn't:rant:
I bought a new shock and hardware.
It wasn't it either:rant::rant:
I bought new cranks and BB
Nope:rant::rant::rant:
Mind you the tick is so loud that people on rides complain about it so imagine how crazy its making me?
Turns out the year of the frame(06), Morewood did not use a constant diameter seat tube. Where the seatube meets the toptube, the seattube has a wider ID from the toptube junction down to the BB.
So when i hamer on the pedals the seatpost rocks slightly inside of the seat tube.
No amount of grease closes the very small gap.
I only had to spend a pile of cash on new parts to figute out its something i cant fix:rant::rant::rant::rant:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Today the pop turned into a creak and an intermittent squeak... found it immediately... Swingarm is cracked near BB. Case closed. New swing arm on order.

Hopefully 19" 2010 swingarms they will be out of stock and I'll get a 2011 frame with the extra inch of travel and the rear thru-axle. Fingers crossed :D

Pics later. I'm exhausted from a super tough ride... don't feel like getting up right now.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Hopefully 19" 2010 swingarms they will be out of stock and I'll get a 2011 frame with the extra inch of travel and the rear thru-axle. Fingers crossed :D
....in which case you'll have to buy a new rear hub as well as figure out seatstays at Spec.'s expense or yours. The new Epic dropout spacing is different so I'd actually hope that they have 2010 chainstays available, unless you'd like to potentially unload a bunch of coin.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
....in which case you'll have to buy a new rear hub as well as figure out seatstays at Spec.'s expense or yours. The new Epic dropout spacing is different so I'd actually hope that they have 2010 chainstays available, unless you'd like to potentially unload a bunch of coin.
Id have to argue that i broke a frame thats under warrantee. They owe me a ridable frame and if that means sending a hub then ill need a hub as well.

If what you mentioned happens it will be the last specialized anything i ever buy. Thats for damn sure.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Id have to argue that i broke a frame thats under warrantee. They owe me a ridable frame and if that means sending a hub then ill need a hub as well.

If what you mentioned happens it will be the last specialized anything i ever buy. Thats for damn sure.
The new policy for most big companies doesn't include parts needed to accomidate the swap from your old frame to the new one. It's not right, but it's the way it is. You should hope they have a 2010 left.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'm kind of hoping he gets a new bike. Lets hear it for a monkey getting hooked up! Those bastards building inferior product. I want new inferior product plus a little extra for pain, suffering, and damages too. No SLX I want X-9!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I want new inferior product
Yeah pretty much... This whole ordeal has me looking at new XC race bikes. I don't want to have to deal with this every 6 months. What if it happens in the middle of the race season.

When they warrantee it, if it's not a new frame I'll probably sell it and snag one of those new Salsa Spearfish frames. I hate the color, but they are suppose to ride great.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Shop manager was part of the group ride today... he's going to ask them straight up for a 2011... and I also asked him to find out what it'd cost to upgrade the bike to the carbon version... If it's not too much cash I may end up with this...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
They won't be fast if you're trying to get them to give you a $3500 frame to replace a standard line offering, I'd suspect.

If you are, in fact, getting a swing arm, I'd suspect it would be fast.

What year and model???
The question he is asking is this... "can we get a 2011 model so he doesn't just break another one... and by the way, how much cash to upgrade the frame to carbon"... the carbon thing is just an inquiry.

Anyway, sounds like a reasonable request to me... hopefully Specialized will agree. I know 3 people, apparently, that have cracked a 2010 epic in this exact same spot... I don't want to just break another one half way through the race season.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
i'm sure by now golgi is not only dug out, but has dug his way to the LBS

updates?
Nothin... another snow storm hit Tuesday night... was stuck at the house.
The weather channels had the headline, "Snowklahoma" on it's website. Bike shops as a rule around here are the first to close/last to open when bad weather kicks the town's ass.

I'm going to call in tomorrow and see if there is a scoop.

I havent ridden a bike since last Monday... it sucks farts.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I just want to note...the Vittoria tires I ordered out of Oklahoma City arrived today. I think I ordered them on Tuesday, so it appears that "Snowklahoma" is, in fact, open for business.