Quantcast

Tick, tick, tick...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Not sure why even after coming here for advice (that turned out to be negative) you are still hung up on the niner and the spearfish? :think: :think:

With no bias (cuz I wont be selling you the bike) I can tell you that if you liked the way the epic rode, you will also enjoy the niner, but HATE the spearfish. however, the niner has TERRIBLE customer support and has a really really bad reputation for failure. So when something does happen, you are now out a bike (for good instead of just the time it takes your stupid LBS to get their head out of their a$$). I know nothing about the Lynskey so can't comment on that bike, but dude, I don't know what seems so attractive to you about the spearfish (price?) but let that fish go man....

BTW: Giant bikes are $1600 (29), 1350 (26), & 2900 (carbon 26). If you can find a dealer with some '10s floating around you could easily knock a couple hundred off those prices.
Who said I was looking for advice on the spearfish? I rode one the other day. It's not for sale, but I got a good 30 minutes of time on it. Rides just like my epic. Maybe a touch steeper, and the suspension ramped up a little bit faster faster (that part is a plus). The guy who I swapped with said the same about the epic... "man this feels really similar to my bike".

As for the niner... all I know about them is that there are TONS of them around here. I race with about 20 guys that all ride niners. There's team support for them in this town and I've discussed it with many of them. If I do end up on one, I'll be riding for their team for sure.

v6 4.3

Monkey
Jan 22, 2005
Niner's are badass. But I can say that compared to the Giant Anthem 29.. The jet9 is heavy. Why is it heavy? because Niner's first run of jet's failed, and Niner took the hit and replaced every single one, thru dealers, and they replaced them with a new jet9 that they know will not fail. trust me i know.

Actually, Giant just did the same thing. The first thing you see on Giant's website, in the bottom left, is a letter about recalling the first run of 2011 anthems. funny huh?

I drank the Niner punch and when your looking at specifically the jet9 to the anthem 29. I personally say anthem 29. In weight. The sus. design in very similar. And lets face it, Giant probably designed that frame around a jet9 geo that a rep bought under the table. So it's like a double refined jet9 actually triple, counting giant recall. jet or anthem your choosing a good bike.

Spearfish: I donno. Wonder myself..

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Now to complete the thread... the tick has been eliminated. But now my pretty white bike mismatched stays :(

The culprit, and it's replacement.

This little thing is almost weightless. It weighs less than this emplty lighter.

And... done:

Bike rides great again... I didn't realize how much flex had developed. Feels so stiff and controllable again. I was getting pretty down on this bike, but with the flex eliminated I'm remembering how badass it is.