Quantcast

Tick, tick, tick...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I just want to note...the Vittoria tires I ordered out of Oklahoma City arrived today. I think I ordered them on Tuesday, so it appears that "Snowklahoma" is, in fact, open for business.
Has been for a couple of days... Tulsa, I mean... OKC didn't get near as much snow, about half I believe. My sister lives there and she said they were getting around just fine... we, on the other hand, were not.

As for the LBS... if they cant get this settled fairly soon it will be just another reason for me to sell the Epic frame in favor of the Salsa Spearfish. There's a good shop in town selling them. I'll just go there.

BTW this shop sells its stuff at prices that are competitive with the online shops. And they always have the good stuff in stock... it's a new phenomenon for Tulsa... a real shop.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
In talks with the shop right now... basically Specialized is trying to offer me a crash replacement for a 2011 frame. That's 20% off a frame that retails for way too much ($2k, not including the T/A hub), we had a conversation about it for a bit, then they said, "let us get our numbers straight. and we'll call you back"... That was 45 min ago... it can't be THAT complicated.

There is still the option of replacing only the chainstay that is broken. They're still waiting on Specialized to let them know if they have any in stock or not. I wonder what will happen if it's not in stock... not getting a good feeling about this.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
In talks with the shop right now... basically Specialized is trying to offer me a crash replacement for a 2011 frame. That's 20% off a frame that retails for way too much ($2k, not including the T/A hub), we had a conversation about it for a bit, then they said, "let us get our numbers straight. and we'll call you back"... That was 45 min ago... it can't be THAT complicated.

There is still the option of replacing only the chainstay that is broken. They're still waiting on Specialized to let them know if they have any in stock or not. I wonder what will happen if it's not in stock... not getting a good feeling about this.
My experience with Specialized has always been them being VERY accommodating, too bad you are getting the run-around. But like Loco said, its all about the rep. Sounds like you need a better shop.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS

I'm not involved for sure, but I know that it's not typical to just offer to upgrade you. I've not seen any huge issues with these frames, so I can't say what's going on. I could suspect that "getting numbers right" has to do with offsetting the cost of doing business with you. ;)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I'm not involved for sure, but I know that it's not typical to just offer to upgrade you. I've not seen any huge issues with these frames, so I can't say what's going on. I could suspect that "getting numbers right" has to do with offsetting the cost of doing business with you. ;)
They have seen their fare share of issues... apparently a crack in this spot is quite common. I'm sure whoever decided that the f-der cable should route through a hole that runs vertically through the chainstay is really kicking themselves.

Anyway...he said that (a) I need not worry, that they as the dealer will make sure that I get taken care of... and (b) this is a very popular frame, and size... combine that with the fact that this is also a common failure... it's possible that specialized is out of the chainstays for the 2010 which means I may end up with a 2011 frame... which also includes a hub and a Thomson seatpost.

He's not sure if there will be a cost involved... but I told him that I'd be upset of there was... it's a 6 month old bike, under warrantee, and they owe me a working bike.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if it comes down to it, go to your shop. make them get on the line with their spesh rep, have them hand the phone to you, and use the "T" word

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
They have seen their fare share of issues... apparently a crack in this spot is quite common. I'm sure whoever decided that the f-der cable should route through a hole that runs vertically through the chainstay is really kicking themselves.

Anyway...he said that (a) I need not worry, that they as the dealer will make sure that I get taken care of... and (b) this is a very popular frame, and size... combine that with the fact that this is also a common failure... it's possible that specialized is out of the chainstays for the 2010 which means I may end up with a 2011 frame... which also includes a hub and a Thomson seatpost.

He's not sure if there will be a cost involved... but I told him that I'd be upset of there was... it's a 6 month old bike, under warrantee, and they owe me a working bike.
I just wanted to get your blood pressure up. They'll take care of it. I suspect there are chainstays for it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Specialized rep for Tulsa is a cool guy...not that anyone has asked. He bought me food.

I'm sitting on 26er Epic that's cracked right there. No problem with warranty. But it's a 26er.

1) Specialized won't **** you if they're out of the parts.

2) But they also won't suck your dick.

3) If you end up getting better than "crash replacement", consider yourself lucky.

4) Specialized warranty is 2nd only to SRAM in terms of badass-ness.

5) Selling an Epic in order to get a Salsa...that rich. Not only was my customer's bike no longer in production with 0 warranty parts, Salsa/ QBP downgraded him. He's on a Pivot now.

6) Don't accept a "we'll call you back" line without a time estimate. If it's been more than an hour, call back.

Bonus: Not to brag, but I got an SL3 warranty in 7 days. 6, actually. 5...really. And an OSBB in the matte color scheme, which Loco can tell you, is impossible to find. Dropped off last Saturday, called Spec Monday, had the frame Wednesday, got it built, new rear tire glued, rt shifter overhauled (Campy), and ready to roll by Friday, 4pm. $80 tip. Yea!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
on another spesh related warranty note, we once had a customer come in with a 15 year old stumpjumper hardtail that broke near the dropout on the chainstay. Had a brand spankin' new stumpjumper hardtail frame a week later, no questions asked, no charge.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Specialized rep for Tulsa is a cool guy...not that anyone has asked. He bought me food.

I'm sitting on 26er Epic that's cracked right there. No problem with warranty. But it's a 26er.

1) Specialized won't **** you if they're out of the parts.

2) But they also won't suck your dick.

3) If you end up getting better than "crash replacement", consider yourself lucky.

4) Specialized warranty is 2nd only to SRAM in terms of badass-ness.

5) Selling an Epic in order to get a Salsa...that rich. Not only was my customer's bike no longer in production with 0 warranty parts, Salsa/ QBP downgraded him. He's on a Pivot now.

6) Don't accept a "we'll call you back" line without a time estimate. If it's been more than an hour, call back.

Bonus: Not to brag, but I got an SL3 warranty in 7 days. 6, actually. 5...really. And an OSBB in the matte color scheme, which Loco can tell you, is impossible to find. Dropped off last Saturday, called Spec Monday, had the frame Wednesday, got it built, new rear tire glued, rt shifter overhauled (Campy), and ready to roll by Friday, 4pm. $80 tip. Yea!
Not sure who they are dealing with. I know that one of the guys that cracked his Epic in the same spot as mine raced most of last season on a cracked bike. So much for the 7-6-5 day turnaround.

Maybe the shop sucks, maybe specialized sucks. Dunno... but there is definitely some sucking going on.

As for the salsa thing... I like that bike. I probably will end up with one down the line.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
There goes another week. Amount of progress... 0%. Absolutely no information about what is going on. For me it's not the end of the world... the bike is still ridable, but don't want to start the race season on a cracked bike.

Other shop has spearfish frames for $999 and Niner Jet9's for $1100. I wonder how much a '10 epic will fetch on ebay (after warrantee of course).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There goes another week. Amount of progress... 0%. Absolutely no information about what is going on. For me it's not the end of the world... the bike is still ridable, but don't want to start the race season on a cracked bike.

Other shop has spearfish frames for $999 and Niner Jet9's for $1100. I wonder how much a '10 epic will fetch on ebay (after warrantee of course).
go yell at them.

or email specialized and like YO WTF MATE

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
:stupid: I want to see if I can help, but the online retailer shop thread makes me wonder if there is more to this thing.
All I said in that thread is that shops have a solid markup on bikes... I didn't say it was bad or that they didn't deserve it, I just said I've seen what they pay for some of the bikes.

Anyway back to the topic at hand... There's nothing "more to it" I've been very polite and more than patient I think. I've given nearly 3 weeks with only 1 call to the shop per week to check on progress. Found out how much it would cost to upgrade... was too much so I told them to just get the replacement parts... they weren't sure if they were in stock, waiting for rep to get back to them. I called again yesterday and they hadn't heard back and hadn't ordered any parts... I said "Okay, let me know"... but I believe it would have been appropriate if I had given them a stiff "WTF GUYS!"

I went to visit my shop owner buddy and he said this... "how long is it taking? dude I could call right now and get an answer for you".

Yes, shop is dropping the ball.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
2010 Chainstays on the way. Now just need to figure out if I should sell it in favor of another race machine, or just keep it and risk cracking it again.

Other choices would be a Niner Jet 9, a Giant Anthem 29er, or a Salsa Spearfish. They are all within $250 of eachother. Salsa being on the bottom end of the price range and the Anthem being on the top.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
2010 Chainstays on the way. Now just need to figure out if I should sell it in favor of another race machine, or just keep it and risk cracking it again.

Other choices would be a Niner Jet 9, a Giant Anthem 29er, or a Salsa Spearfish. They are all within $250 of eachother. Salsa being on the bottom end of the price range and the Anthem being on the top.
No hesitation. Sell it and get a Giant Anthem. F'n fantastic bike. The spearfish will feel like a pile of steaming cow dung in comparision. And as much as I hate to say it (I looooove my Specialized Demo 8), Maestro is far superior to FSR. That and the fact that if you thought you would break another Epic, you will forsure break a Niner. I've seen those things crack in droves just by lookin at em funny.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Yeah, I'd go Giant or stick with Specy.

I know how Specy's warranty department works, and I know they'll stand behind their product. I know nothing of Giants warranty department, however.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Yeah, I'd go Giant or stick with Specy.

I know how Specy's warranty department works, and I know they'll stand behind their product. I know nothing of Giants warranty department, however.
I do love how the epic rides, especially how it climbs for a FS rig... I just feel like it's going to let me down. Maybe I just say eff it and race it another season. If it cracks again... warrantee #2 I guess? Will Specialized just keep replacing them?

BTW... why is everyone down on the Spearfish? Everything I have read made it sound like a pretty good ride.

EDIT: Found an intense spider 29er... $1100... NOT BAD.

Last edited:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
I do love how the epic rides, especially how it climbs for a FS rig... I just feel like it's going to let me down. Maybe I just say eff it and race it another season. If it cracks again... warrantee #2 I guess? Will Specialized just keep replacing them?

BTW... why is everyone down on the Spearfish? Everything I have read made it sound like a pretty good ride.

EDIT: Found an intense spider 29er... $1100... NOT BAD.
Specialized will continue to take care of you. I've had mixed success with Giant.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
better start droolin, dreamin, and savin your pennies... :thumb:

Also, FYI

Anthem 29er Recall
I've seen a few anthems out in the last few weeks. They look nice and supposedly ride great. I probably would be riding one if they weren't so slow out of the gate with the 29er. I've had 2 giants in the past and was very pleased with both... one I kept for nearly 5 years. Longest I have ever kept a bike.

v6 4.3

Monkey
Jan 22, 2005
if you had just went into the shop the first time, rather than calling in, you would have got an answer and option in 5 mins.

sometimes specialized stuff cracks, sometimes is doesnt. when it does, they warranty it. the problems you were having was all with the shop. All the shop had to do is call, explain, check serial #'s, maybe send a pic (while on the phone), and done. upgrade or replace?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
if you had just went into the shop the first time, rather than calling in, you would have got an answer and option in 5 mins.

sometimes specialized stuff cracks, sometimes is doesnt. when it does, they warranty it. the problems you were having was all with the shop. All the shop had to do is call, explain, check serial #'s, maybe send a pic (while on the phone), and done. upgrade or replace?
The Saturday that I discovered the crack, I drove directly from the trailhead to the shop. They looked at it, photographed it... etc. Waited over a week for options... still waiting on my new stays. Race season starts in 2 weeks.

I'll be on another bike by May most likely. Specialized's service may be fine... but this shop is the middleman and I'm not doing this again. I'll either be on a Jet 9 a Spearfish or a Lynskey.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
You should get one of those Giants and use all the leftover cash to buy hookers and blow.
I can get the Spearfish or the Niner about $400-500 cheaper than the Giant (frame only)... Maybe I should start selling hookers and blow in order to get one of those giants.

The Lynskey would replace both my bikes. I'd sell the SS complete along with the epic frame in order to buy it... so it's a whole different story.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Pretty sure it's $1500 ish for just the alloy frame. I bet the carbon frame will retail for like $3k.
Not sure why even after coming here for advice (that turned out to be negative) you are still hung up on the niner and the spearfish? :think: :think:

With no bias (cuz I wont be selling you the bike) I can tell you that if you liked the way the epic rode, you will also enjoy the niner, but HATE the spearfish. however, the niner has TERRIBLE customer support and has a really really bad reputation for failure. So when something does happen, you are now out a bike (for good instead of just the time it takes your stupid LBS to get their head out of their a$$). I know nothing about the Lynskey so can't comment on that bike, but dude, I don't know what seems so attractive to you about the spearfish (price?) but let that fish go man....

BTW: Giant bikes are $1600 (29), 1350 (26), & 2900 (carbon 26). If you can find a dealer with some '10s floating around you could easily knock a couple hundred off those prices.

Last edited: