Quantcast

> To stay <

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And not that the fact the North American Craton is basically still intact after 6 billion years?
The Earth itself is less than 5 billion years old and the crust didn't solidify until about 1.5 billion years ago. The North American Craton is only about 600 million years old.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The Earth itself is less than 5 billion years old and the crust didn't solidify until about 1.5 billion years ago. The North American Craton is only about 600 million years old.
So if Acasta Gneiss was Metamorphized 4 Billion years ago (Can be carbon dated as such) and formed on the edge of Laurentia (The North American Craton) in a different state mind you. What was there before that? Kimberlite samples from the North Atlantic Craton can be dated back to 4 Billion years ago. Has the earths crust completed its solidification process yet?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So if Acasta Gneiss was Metamorphized 4 Billion years ago (Can be carbon dated as such) and formed on the edge of Laurentia (The North American Craton) in a different state mind you. What was there before that? Kimberlite samples from the North Atlantic Craton can be dated back to 4 Billion years ago. Has the earths crust completed its solidification process yet?

Carbon dating can really only be used to on life forms that absorbs atmospheric carbon and therefor isn't used to date rocks. In addition Carbon 14 has a half life of 5730 years. In a sample 4,000,000,000 years old it would have to have contained 2^698000 carbon 14 atoms to have any remaining. The universe only has an estimated 10^82 atoms in it.

Edit: I used the notation of 2^698000 above because trying to calculate it provides an answer of infinity on a calculator. I even busted out Matlab and it gives me an answer of infinity above a number around 2^1000

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Carbon dating can really only be used to on life forms that absorbs atmospheric carbon and therefor isn't used to date rocks. In addition Carbon 14 has a half life of 5730 years. In a sample 4,000,000,000 years old it would have to have contained 2^698000 carbon 14 atoms to have any remaining. The universe only has an estimated 10^82 atoms in it.

Edit: I used the notation of 2^698000 above because trying to calculate it provides an answer of infinity on a calculator. I even busted out Matlab and it gives me an answer of infinity above a number around 2^1000
Beryllium-10 decaying to boron has a half-life of 1.52 million years. Geologists measure the abundance of these radioisotopes instead to date rocks. I stand corrected. Thanks.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
What the fuck, man?? This is the internet. You can't just say you are wrong. Double down and fucking make up some bullshit nonsense if you have to. :disgust1: :mad:
There is a difference in thinking you know things and actually knowing them. I defer to Westy as he actually knows things. It matters little to him what you think...