Quantcast

Toobless Tape Troubles.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
We are gonna need a video, because I can’t picture why you would do this, exactly?
We're in a thread about problems with rim tape. I'm explaining how I avoid using rim tape. You can't understand why I would do that?
Did I spend more time "blind lacing" wheels or did OP spend more time dealing with leaky rim tape?
How about when replacing a broken nipple? More time spent threading it in from the valve hole or replacing/patching rim tape?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
CB. Ugh. Remember the Joplin dropper post? I do. Complete rubbish. Last thing I've purchased from CB. And that was like 2008.

Anyways, back to rim tape. Something just jogged my memory. We used to use 'strapping tape', way back in the day. The rims were narrow back then, so it was the perfect width, it was strong, and it held. Could be worth a look. Probably cheaper than the name brand stuff (Stans, Schwalbe) and much thinner than duck/gorilla/gaffer tape. Yet still strong.

Here's a quick link:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
CB. Ugh. Remember the Joplin dropper post? I do. Complete rubbish. Last thing I've purchased from CB. And that was like 2008.

Anyways, back to rim tape. Something just jogged my memory. We used to use 'strapping tape', way back in the day. The rims were narrow back then, so it was the perfect width, it was strong, and it held. Could be worth a look. Probably cheaper than the name brand stuff (Stans, Schwalbe) and much thinner than duck/gorilla/gaffer tape. Yet still strong.

Here's a quick link:

I've tried it in a pinch. It worked well as rim tape back in the days of tubes because it's fibrous and doesn't extrude through valve holes, but the plastic tape holding the fibers together is pretty flimsy and gets chewed up/stops holding air very quickly.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Whiskey tape is rad.

Super tacky, nice and stretchy, and has one of those "causes cancer" labels so you know it's legit.
Don't let your kids eat it, unless you hate kids.
I really like whiskey tape as well.
I'm blaming you both if Whisky tape is shite.

Wife needed a new rear tyre on her road bike. After removing the old one the tape was a little janky looking, so I cleaned it all off. Then discovered I'd only got enough of my 21mm Silca Platinum tape to do a 3rd of a rim. Whisky was the cheapest 21mm in a decent length I could see shipped from ebay.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Here's a quick link:

Careful, it gets dissolved by ammonia-based sealants!!!

But it is part of the OG protocol for tubeless conversions (way before Stan's came out):
- tape rim with strapping tape
- cover with electrical tape
- cut valve out of old tube
- glue or at least use the homemade latex mix around the valve where you push it through the tape to get a better seal

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

Wife needed a new rear tyre on her road bike. After removing the old one the tape was a little janky looking, so I cleaned it all off. Then discovered I'd only got enough of my 21mm Silca Platinum tape to do a 3rd of a rim. Whisky was the cheapest 21mm in a decent length I could see shipped from ebay.
Our shop used to use Stan's tape. We've switched to Whiskey because it seems to conform to the rim bed better and maybe sticks better too. It is QBP's house brand and available in so many widths that I can always find one that perfectly fits a rim.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Careful, it gets dissolved by ammonia-based sealants!!!

But it is part of the OG protocol for tubeless conversions (way before Stan's came out):
- tape rim with strapping tape
- cover with electrical tape
- cut valve out of old tube
- glue or at least use the homemade latex mix around the valve where you push it through the tape to get a better seal
Ahhh some original ghetto tubeless...lol that's going WAY back...
Cut 20" tube length wise lay over rim and put tire on..
I still use the cut tube occasionally and use stans between it and tire...it glues it together.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA

Another vote for Whisky tape. Only thing I've used for the last few years.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
On the topic of Mavic's UST system... it appears Mavic is working on re-integrating the MTB market. No details on the rims, but here they are riding them!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
On the topic of Mavic's UST system... it appears Mavic is working on re-integrating the MTB market. No details on the rims, but here they are riding them!
And then after 3 years they’ll pull out again and you wont be able to get spare parts for their wacky hubs.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Whisky tape definitely stuck better than other types I've tried before; mostly Stan's and DT. Just need to get the road tyre mounted to see if it holds air long term without issue.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I never think about rim tape, but removed some Nukeproof rim tape from one rim and reapplied it to another that I laced up and everything is swell. I thought that was pretty cool.

dughead

Chimp
Feb 3, 2020
There's a reusable Caffelatex rim strip too, but the bit suggesting a layer of electrical tape first sounds a bit sucky.

I'd still rather someone made a heatshrink rim strip.
These have been spot on for me: easy to install, and seal consistently.

I've had one on a rear wheel for about a year now and after three tire changes it still looks good as new. Didn't need any electrical tape, either.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
These have been spot on for me: easy to install, and seal consistently.

I've had one on a rear wheel for about a year now and after three tire changes it still looks good as new. Didn't need any electrical tape, either.
very interesting... what rim, and what tires are you using?

dughead

Chimp
Feb 3, 2020
very interesting... what rim, and what tires are you using?
I've used them on 2019 LG1+ rims with Maxxis (Assegai, High Roller II, Minion DHR - all DD casing), and DT Swiss ex471/511 with Michelin DH34s. They all sealed first time, and held pressure for a good while. The DH34s haven't lost any air in about 5 months, now.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The Bontrager ones are tempting to me, since you can get them individually (I run a mullet setup).