Quantcast

Tool Nerds, Questions and Tool Snobbery

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
2ft flathead screw driver was the only decent way to knock my old axle out, and again only good way I had of fixing the hub while I torqued the thing. Got this as a joke Christmas gift like 15 years ago, thing is an absolute champion

BAF09305-B2C2-43A8-AD0C-961F1E289EFF.jpeg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Finally got to test out the ball joint separator and it is magical. Having the thrust bearing makes it so much easier to know how much force you are applying to the joint, and it doesn't twist out of location as you torque it.
PXL_20231120_034857160_1.jpg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
20231120_161129_copy_750x1000.jpg

18ga pneumatic brad nailer joins the crew. Hoses and compressors are a PITA, but I forgot how small, light, and maneuverable air guns are vs cordless.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
2ft flathead screw driver was the only decent way to knock my old axle out, and again only good way I had of fixing the hub while I torqued the thing. Got this as a joke Christmas gift like 15 years ago, thing is an absolute champion

View attachment 203555

guess I know what I'm asking for for christmas now

thanks!

Hey you know how to pull apart a rear tacoma axle?

I got a squealer in there somewhere

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

thanks!

Any idea from where? Those axles are pretty easy to take apart. The 3rd member is out within an hour, the rest another hour maybe.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Any idea from where? Those axles are pretty easy to take apart. The 3rd member is out within an hour, the rest another hour maybe.
right rear as best as I could tell

doesn't sound like a wheel bearing

I looked up what tools I'd need besides a 3ft flathead screwdriver. Not sure I want to go down that road quite yet. I have limited ability to work on a car indoors (like run into my office friday afternoon but damn well need to be done by sunday night.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I looked up what tools I'd need besides a 3ft flathead screwdriver. Not sure I want to go down that road quite yet. I have limited ability to work on a car indoors (like run into my office friday afternoon but damn well need to be done by sunday night.
Just make sure to pull it all the way into your garage so you can work in comfort.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

You sure it's not one of the disc brakes?

:rofl: ROLF JK. What year? Symptoms if any beyond the squeak?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You sure it's not one of the disc brakes?

drums baby!

08 base model!

westy will be along shortly to highlight the unique interior features like the retro window drive system

it's something in the axle

squeals when cold, subsides sometimes once warm, coasting or driven, but not really changing with speed, just wailing like 5dev owner on his first g-out

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
drums baby!

08 base model!

westy will be along shortly to highlight the unique interior features like the retro window drive system

it's something in the axle

squeals when cold, subsides sometimes once warm, coasting or driven, but not really changing with speed, just wailing like 5dev owner on his first g-out
How many miles? I know the u-joints on those Tacos go and it'll squeal like what you are describing.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
those usually vibrate some though, this isn't

260k-ish on salted roads, so could be everything. Already replaced one on the other side just fyi
260K, salted roads, Tacoma...you sure the the squeak isn't caused by a lack of frame?

For real though. The Toyota dealer I frequented in Denver kept a dozen frames outside the Service department in case they were needed. And they were needed.

Either way, good luck pinpointing a source with that kinda mileage. Guessing everything is getting a wee bit long in the tooth.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
260K, salted roads, Tacoma...you sure the the squeak isn't caused by a lack of frame?

For real though. The Toyota dealer I frequented in Denver kept a dozen frames outside the Service department in case they were needed. And they were needed.

Either way, good luck pinpointing a source with that kinda mileage. Guessing everything is getting a wee bit long in the tooth.
I paint the frame and the really shitty ones were recalled. Mine wasnt. Frame's fine.

It's just a bag of parts.....all replaceable

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Paint the frame with what?
I've had limited success with painting vehicle undercarriages in the past, it always gets blasted away by sand/salt by the next year. The only paints that I've had moderate success with are POR-15 (https://por15.com/products/rust-preventive-coating) and Chassis Saver (https://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp).

I'm often more concerned with internal corrosion vs external, as that's tougher to assess. All the internal areas of my frame, rocker panels, and fenders have a coating of Fluid Film on them. I try to re-apply every year to maintain protection.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm often more concerned with internal corrosion vs external, as that's tougher to assess. All the internal areas of my frame, rocker panels, and fenders have a coating of Fluid Film on them. I try to re-apply every year to maintain protection.

my solution for that stuff goes something like

CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
And will probably return here agahiin. Not sure how I'd accomplish the surface prep on the underside of the Sprinter.
Might be worth just taking it to an undercoating place and paying them for a hot oil or lanolin spray. It's a losing battle, but that'll help keep it at bay.

Sand blast it. Por15 needs pretty specific metal prep, btw.
:stupid:

Lots of prep plus multiple coats (POR-15 + UV protectant to coat) are required. It is a fairly involved endeavor to do it right.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ever used it?

I have not. But it is well regarded for use on steel in saltwater applications such as boats. I think it does require a pretty aggressive tooth to stick, but if you have ever used POR-19 on unrusted metal, it is the same way.

I have experimented with different combinations of lanolin/linseed oil thinned with mineral spirits for application. It seemed promising but that car hasn't seen the road in a while so don't have good evidence for results. My goal was to get something tougher than lanolin and more flexible than cured linseed. It worked really well on the inside of a steel bike frame that had water ingress so I applied it to some car parts to see how it worked.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have not. But it is well regarded for use on steel in saltwater applications such as boats. I think it does require a pretty aggressive tooth to stick, but if you have ever used POR-19 on unrusted metal, it is the same way.

I have experimented with different combinations of lanolin/linseed oil thinned with mineral spirits for application. It seemed promising but that car hasn't seen the road in a while so don't have good evidence for results. My goal was to get something tougher than lanolin and more flexible than cured linseed. It worked really well on the inside of a steel bike frame that had water ingress so I applied it to some car parts to see how it worked.
:thumb:

Perhaps I'll give that a try next time I crawl under the truck. The current regimen of VHT rust converter + spray enamel + lanolin just isn't doing it.

I don't need it pretty, just not corroded to all hell. The lanolin based sprays seem to do well on areas not exposed to water/salt/sand/gravel spray, but it washes off all forward facing surfaces in fairly short order.

6 months until I own this truck and I'd like to keep it in service for another 15 beyond that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
:thumb:

Perhaps I'll give that a try next time I crawl under the truck. The current regimen of VHT rust converter + spray enamel + lanolin just isn't doing it.

I don't need it pretty, just not corroded to all hell. The lanolin based sprays seem to do well on areas not exposed to water/salt/sand/gravel spray, but it washes off all forward facing surfaces in fairly short order.

6 months until I own this truck and I'd like to keep it in service for another 15 beyond that.

If you really want results (and possibly cancer) see if @Pesqueeb can send you some hexavalent chromium.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you really want results (and possibly cancer) see if @Pesqueeb can send you some hexavalent chromium.
^do not under any circumstance do this, or anything resembling you getting ahold of that shit

coal tar epoxy is about the best sealant out there but it's fucking gross

Old hydro plants coat their buried iron pipes from the book of genesis to keep using them. It works.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
^do not under any circumstance do this, or anything resembling you getting ahold of that shit

coal tar epoxy is about the best sealant out there but it's fucking gross

Old hydro plants coat their buried iron pipes from the book of genesis to keep using them. It works.
Don't come here and tell us what not to do!!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

thanks!

inner axle bearing by the pumpkin

bout tree fiddy at a driveline shop in carson city, nv

any mechanic closer to me would charge that for answering the phone and telling me to fuck off

so long 4ft flathead screwdriver

perhaps we will meet another day