Quantcast

Top Gear

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
James May looks like a freakin' midget when driving the Mini Countryman WRC car without a helmet on.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
"Pay attention, Lewis Hamilton: This is how you pass a Ferrari... without crashing into it"

:rofl:

"At these temperatures I reckon it'd be three or four minutes before I hopped into the crew's Range Rover and head back to the hotel"

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i find it funny that 5th Gear has the 458 Italia faster around the same track then the MP412C, but TG has the McLaren nearly 3 seconds faster. :think:

Sundays was one of the better episodes in a while. i would have liked to see May getting in on the sub $7000 challenge.

and its no surprise that Vettel is the fastest around the track...he was actually pretty funny too.

looks like next week they have yet another "caravan" challenge and the new GTR gets on the their track. Mr Bean should be interesting i suppose. it would be better if he drove a 3 wheel car around the track though :rofl:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
i find it funny that 5th Gear has the 458 Italia faster around the same track then the MP412C, but TG has the McLaren nearly 3 seconds faster. :think:
Various Ferrari "press cars" performing differently? Gee, that's a complete surprise.........

/sarcasm

edit:
article said:
And this is the nub: how ****ing paranoid do you have to be to put even stickier rubber on a Scuderia? It's like John Holmes having an extra two inches grafted onto his dick.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
best caravan challenge yet. the "scum class" was a nice touch.
ATTN, SPOILERS AHEAD!!

Don't know, it's starting to feel very..... forced? Fake? I mean, it's obvious that the BBC wasn't going to allow Clarckson to do 70mph on a rail line without having it meticulously set up ahead of time (including exactly how much room was needed to stop before the oncoming train). And setting a caravan on fire (again)? Seriously? The first time it happened, it seemed very, very real. This sort of "ho-hum, I'll just set this pot of fries and oil on the burner and then leave it alone while I go deliver drinks" makes me feel like I'm watching a bad sit-com.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Don't know, it's starting to feel very..... forced? Fake? I mean, it's obvious that the BBC wasn't going to allow Clarckson to do 70mph on a rail line without having it meticulously set up ahead of time (including exactly how much room was needed to stop before the oncoming train).
i can see your point on some of their repetitive jokes. they do fall back on several jokes that can sometimes be funny when repeated though (bumping into each other's car is still funny.)
we do mainly watch the show for their antics though, not for their "reviews" and the past few series have been pretty damn funny IMO.
the train skit was performed on a closed "test" track. they obviously arent going to have him go 70mph on a track that has a oncoming train on it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
James May looks like a freakin' midget when driving the Mini Countryman WRC car without a helmet on.

Not sure about other race cars but they have been mounting rally cars very low to lower the CG. Some of the co-drivers can barely see over the dash.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Not sure about other race cars but they have been mounting rally cars very low to lower the CG. Some of the co-drivers can barely see over the dash.
most race cars have the driver sit very low. its especially important on rally cars since they actually jump and weight balance is key. the co-driver just needs to see which turn they are at, not all the details about it since he's reading off of his notes

look at these BTCC's cockpit

or these DTM cars

ganglor

Chimp
Sep 3, 2010
VA
..spoilers
Personally, I think they are just making that one of their repeated jokes, like dropping a piano on a Morris, or bumping into James' car, etc. I would have been more surprised if they didn't set it on fire. I'm sure they don't think it will seem as real or be as funny as the first time it happened.

I just watch the show and enjoy it (a lot). Of the few people I have met that don't like it for some reason, it is always because they are over-analyzing it.

And hey, it is still infinitely better and more funny than Top Gear US...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Rice do you have a link to where I can stream I on the iPad.
1) Jailbreak iPad (unless you grabbed VLC while it was on the legit App Store for a few days, as I did)
2) Install VLC on iPad from Cydia app store
3) Download SD (not HD/720p, sadly--won't play smoothly on iPad) torrent of the episode in question from www.finalgear.com
4) Sync file without reconversion or anything to iPad: iTunes -> Apps tab -> VLC at bottom left -> drag file to little box at bottom right
5) ???
6) Profit

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Rice do you have a link to where I can stream I on the iPad.
streetfire.net used to have all the full episodes streaming but sadly it seems they dont have the new season....and its flash i believe too.
i havent found any other site that streams it but you can DL it @ finalgear

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
1) Jailbreak iPad (unless you grabbed VLC while it was on the legit App Store for a few days, as I did)
2) Install VLC on iPad from Cydia app store
3) Download SD (not HD/720p, sadly--won't play smoothly on iPad) torrent of the episode in question from www.finalgear.com
4) Sync file without reconversion or anything to iPad: iTunes -> Apps tab -> VLC at bottom left -> drag file to little box at bottom right
5) ???
6) Profit
I have got the VLC player when it was in the store but I am on vacation so I only have my iPad with me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the Atom 500 is sick but a ludicrous amount of money ($160k.) i would have rather seen the 2.4L V8 they originally were going to use which was a mini- F1 style engine.
I would honestly be happy with the ORIGINAL UK version with a supercharged Honda 4. Great power:weight and reliable. Ever since the company changed hands, the focus changed as well.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I would honestly be happy with the ORIGINAL UK version with a supercharged Honda 4. Great power:weight and reliable. Ever since the company changed hands, the focus changed as well.
the GM Ecotec engine in the Atom 2 was no slouch in that car either....going along with my username, i would have much rather have that then the VTEC Honda engine.
the parent company hasnt changed, only the US licensed mfg has.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the parent company hasnt changed, only the US licensed mfg has.
I liked them better when they were built in Ashland.

I am partial to the VTEC plants because a good friend of mine has had great success with turbo VTEC's in his rails for years.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi needs to watch this episode (s17e06). They don't think very kindly of his beloved Leaf. :rofl:
Here's my review of the episode, carefully worded as to not have any spoilers :D The "gag comparative review" is what you are referring to.

I thought the graphics on the intro car review were nicely done and their conclusion valid if repetitive (how many times have they used the word "pantomime" over the years? ). I also liked the last 15 minutes, and the gag comparative review with the predicable outcome was amusing to my wife at least and spurred some discussion between us about that class of car.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes, I was thinking that all along but I guess that would have ruined the basis for the segment would have made it more fun though as they are normally smarter. If they had made it a race they could have used as way to win. I am still impressed with the Leaf and would love to have one as a second car.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the car didnt catch fire, despite what The Sun were saying...im sure the guys in Woking can fix it....for a ludicrous amount of moneys