Quantcast

Top Gear

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I never really watched this show except for the odd episode here and there when flying on Virgin.

Been sick the last few days, so I plunked down in front of Netflix. They have seasons 2-15 available for streaming.

I'm up to season 4 so far. Rad show aside from the island-monkey bias toward British cars.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Been sick the last few days, so I plunked down in front of Netflix. They have seasons 2-15 available for streaming.

I'm up to season 4 so far. Rad show aside from the island-monkey bias toward British cars.
yeah, its odd netflix doesnt have all the seasons.

they love British cars. and Ferraris

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I never really watched this show except for the odd episode here and there when flying on Virgin.

Season 1 (available on finalgear.com) is hilarious only because it's so bad. There's a guy named Jason who's only job is to talk about how to get a good deal on a car at a dealership (ie, to keep the program educational), and there are literally about a dozen people in the audience each week.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
good show for lots of reasons.
One reason I like it is the high production value the show has. The video on the car segments is always beautiful, they have some nice color grading & great motion graphics/effects. The show is very well done in that regard.

WTF does Richard Hammond dress like a 16 year old going to a concert though? His shell necklaces crack me up.

Jeremy Clarkson cracks me the F up too.

I approve.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
It was good, but far from the "best episode ever" (I'd give that to the Botswana special). I was a bit annoyed that out of a ~1200 mile journey, they were on the train for the first 3/4 of it. Although watching how their highways operate (and having flashbacks to traveling in China), there's NO way I'd want to drive there either.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I was a bit bored. There were some good moments but the format is getting stale. The other episodes at least had some awesome views and driving and it is primarly a car program. Dont let top gear become car mtv.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I was a bit bored. There were some good moments but the format is getting stale. The other episodes at least had some awesome views and driving and it is primarly a car program. Dont let top gear become car mtv.
its hasnt been a "car only" program in a while. and thats fine with me

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
This time I actually wished they had not modified the cars. I would have been cool to see the jag and the Rolls ride the mountains in style. I loved the show and I actually think that was a car SHOW.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
downloading it now.
i do wish it was another F1 driver besides one theyve done already. plus i hate Vettel

edit: i guess i mis-read about Vettel..thankfully.

i thought the episode was meh. nothing really good or great about it and the only thing that was really funny was Hammond trying to get a tow.
kinda funny to see the Lambo's brakes being cooked.
sad they didnt mention Ratzenberger who died the day before Senna did at Imola.

Last edited:

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
I like it as it was actually about cars for once rather than just @rsing around. Hell it had a big shouty orange Lambo getting thrashed, how could that not be good? Each to their own I suppose, I'm sure it'll be back to crap next week

Was a bit dissapointed they didn't mention Ratzenberger, wasn't pretty seeing Barrichello's again either

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I like it as it was actually about cars for once rather than just @rsing around. Hell it had a big shouty orange Lambo getting thrashed, how could that not be good? Each to their own I suppose, I'm sure it'll be back to crap next week

Was a bit dissapointed they didn't mention Ratzenberger, wasn't pretty seeing Barrichello's again either
That's exactly why I liked it. It was car heavy with none of that caravan makeshift crap.

IH8Rice do you really want top gear to become a car equivalent of MTV?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
IH8Rice do you really want top gear to become a car equivalent of MTV?
the car segment wasnt really that good imo...they should have just gloated more about the Ferrari like they always do. and a Noble? really??

the upcoming episodes look good though. should be interesting to see if Richard almost gets killed again when traveling to the US to race a NASCAR car. but Matt LeBlanc?? thats almost worse then will i am

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
the car segment wasnt really that good imo...they should have just gloated more about the Ferrari like they always do. and a Noble? really??

the upcoming episodes look good though. should be interesting to see if Richard almost gets killed again when traveling to the US to race a NASCAR car. but Matt LeBlanc?? thats almost worse then will i am
Bringing a Noble is a good idea. I want to see different, new and interesting cars. Even if they fail miserably. A show only about ferraris and carawans would get boring.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If fell asleep watching the show last night but I would not blame the quality of the show though. From what I saw the Noble was pretty cool and a refreshing change.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Bringing a Noble is a good idea. I want to see different, new and interesting cars. Even if they fail miserably. A show only about ferraris and carawans would get boring.
i would have liked to have seen something else besides a Noble...maybe a Gumpert, R8 GT, Koenigsegg

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Definitely put me in the "liked it quite a bit" crowd. It was actually about cars, had them wringing the 3 supercars out to their max at two different times in the episode, and the Will.I.Am segment was actually pretty funny. He got a record contract at 17, and so decided to buy a "poor man's Ferrari", which was... a Fiero. However his mom found out and took the keys away, so he didn't get to drive it till he was 20.

It's pretty funny that IH8Rice doesn't like the show when they have actual cars on it, only when they're running around acting like idiots and setting caravans on fire.